nepoweshiekfarmalls

Nice original old 615

19 hours ago, cedar farm said:

After replacing the separator belt on my 6620 last week, that beauty looks like it would be a nice combine to work on.   

The right side of the separator is almost as big of clusterF*** as a JD 20 series.  Only conventional combines I’ve been around that are easy to work on front to back side to side are the JD 5 series and Gleaners.  

41 minutes ago, Duane966 said:

I always say my best day farming is when the 715 went down the road and the 1620 showed up.  combing became fun again.

My initial thought would be that more than one farmer would say an axial flow is head and shoulders above any conventional of that time

Here is my old 615, I picked it up last spring and drove it 40 miles home. Not as nice as the one in this thread. I'm planning to fix it up and use it on about 20 acres or so.

Resized_20190407_193353.jpeg.jpg

Resized_20190407_193411.jpeg.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yours looks wonderful to me. Thank you for saving it!  I wish I could give this 615 a home, but no more shed space and the budget is too tight this year.  If I had a better crop and no hospital bills from last winter, i would own the 615 already!

I would love one and convert it to a swather if that's possible 

39 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I would love one and convert it to a swather if that's possible 

Just open the bottom of the feeder house and let the crop fall onto the ground.....

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the pics. That 615 is clean.

II wish I had a little 810 header right now! I have a bunch of down rice and the smaller the header the better. I'm running a 16.5 810 on my 1460 and it's too big in down rice.

I'll have to fix my 1480. The 16.5 is about right for it in down rice.

TThx-Ace

1st new combine I purchased was a 615 in 1971. Had my uncles 303 with a elwood cab & the engine went south after cutting 20 ac of beans that fall. Wanted a 715 but the only combines the dealer had on hand was the 615 & a 315. Had a 13' platform with a HartCarter floating cutter bar & a 2rw, 728 iirc, cornhead. Thought I had really moved up in the world. Mine had a chopper, summer of '74 cutting wheat had issues with the upper chopper drive belt breaking it's back. I remember changing that belt 4x, housing on the back of the engine had to come off to change it, what a pita. Also remember having issues with the clean grain elevator chain breaking once. Wife was on a step ladder with her arm in the elevator trying to help get the broken chain out. When she went to remove her arm her wedding rings got caught & she couldn't get her arm out.  She tried for several minutes to remove her arm with no luck and was starting to panic. Have to admit I was getting worried too. My aunt came out with a bottle of liquid soap & wife squirted it down her arm. Soap ran over her ring finger & she was able to wiggle her rings off. Then was able to get her arm out, arm had swollen quite a bit.

Ordered a new 715 D Hydro that summer. Didnt come in when it was suppose to that fall. Steel prices had shot up and IH cancelled the order.  New 715 was quite a bit more money & would t be delivered that fall. E ded up trading the 615 for a new JD 4400 on local dealer's lot.