Purchased IH 986

Just purchased a 986. Owner said his dad purchased in the 80s with around 300hrs on it.  

Shorty after stopped farming and tractor was mainly used to mow roadside ditches and move hay. Tractor currently showing 900hrs. Owner said tach has always worked. From what my mechanic and I can tell it may be true from observing the wear points. 

Tractor sat outside a lot so the sun has done a number on it. Cab corners are in rough shape. 

Picture is of it being delivered. 

Plan for now is to restore.. if it seems to be a legit low hour machine. I will post better picks when I get more. 

7F8D7960-932C-45C7-851E-50636741911F.jpeg

87EE1975-A7B8-4A5C-AB4D-817F056BC5E2.jpeg

11420A52-A056-4123-AF8A-2A6EE6ADD454.jpeg

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Pic doesnt seem to work for me. What a tease....?

Didn't for me either.  That is a big tease. A 986 with only 900 hours sure won't see that often.

See it's got the wide cab steps and the lower rearview mirror up at the windshield. Does it have the digital data center? If it does I'd believe what that tach says on hours as much as what comes out of a politicians mouth.

• Haha 1

Yes this is the digital tach, I agree with (856 custom) very Leary about the hours and the history of these tachs but i pulled the trigger based off the guys story and condition of the tractor.

seemed to be an honest fella but you never know. Obviously not the original tires, was surprised it had 34s on the back.

00F0F_6YJJbZ38OtY_1200x900.jpg

00j0j_gpbf52n2r9a_1200x900.jpg

Looks like a nice tractor.  As far as the hours, as old as these machines are, IMHO it’s more about condition.  Don’t remember who said, “how old would you be if you didn’t know how old you were”.  Sometimes I think we’d be better off if there were no hour meters.  As to the 34’s, I seem to recall when looking at a very early 986 with 34’s, someone said they were standard at that time, but I don’t know.

Those the original tires ? 

pedals have minimal wear, linkages are all tight, drawbar hole is almost a perfect circle. door hinges are straight no cracks. shifting levers have minimal wear. still has safety wire on fuel control pump, has factory aux tank. 

now for the bad part, found out TA is out on the High side. had a load on it the going up a hill pulled the TA and it came to a stop, also free wheels.  Looks like this tractor  will be getting split this winter. 

I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. You didn't mention clutch booster not working. So you have some regulated pressure check that TA spool raises high enough and gets pushed down to snapring. Make sure dump valve bottoms. Yes it should have drove in ta on the sprag. This tractor has done a lot of sitting. It may just need good oil and some running to freeup sprag. 

@ snoshoe i hope your right, clutch booster is working. The TA lever was harder than normal to move back and forth. Definitely seemed like it wasn't used very much or at least much lately. 

will do some more investigating and let you know what i find out.