06 series handle coating

bradm

wondering if anyone has found a similar black hard plastic coating to replace the original on the TA handle, throttle lever and gear shifters? I had tried to use the Plastic Dip, but due to its flexibility, it is breaking up. 

I didn't want to just use black paint. 

'

Any help is appreciated

I couldn’t come up with anything good so I just put about 40 coats of black spray can paint over a couple days and it looks close to the factory coating and is holding up well.  
I will be interested if anyone has anything better. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 7:47 PM, bradm said:

wondering if anyone has found a similar black hard plastic coating to replace the original on the TA handle, throttle lever and gear shifters? I had tried to use the Plastic Dip, but due to its flexibility, it is breaking up. 

That's a good question.

You might try o can of spray "flex seal", Gutter seal, etc.  Rubbery stuff used on roofs and gutters to seal leaks.  Its a lot like bedliner.  I use it to coat battery trays to prevent corrosion.   IDK how it would hold up on a handle.

I have used handle dip and black paint both with success.  Before the black paint, I use a filler primer to make a thicker coat.   Throttle handles seem to last longer than gear shift levers in my experience. 

9 hours ago, lightninboy said:

Sooner or later the knob gets loose and removed and missing and there's nothing left but lever.

'06 "knobs" are part of the lever casting.

Removable knobs didn't appear until the '56 series.

• 3 months later...