MTO

04 Pete 379X

3 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

The 379 EXHD or extended hood I’m pretty sure was available for the entire run of the 379 model, 1987-2007. The EXHD is 127” from bumper to back of cab. The 379 short hood is 119” from bumper to back of cab. The EXHD has an extra 8” of room under the hood. 

Those earlier ones with Cummins or cats you could almost walk behind the engine on the long hoods. Detroit 60  was available in them for a while also 

4 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Those earlier ones south Cummins or cats you could almost walk behind the engine on the long hoods. Detroit 70  was available in them for a while also 

So what`s a PACCAR then?

1 minute ago, farmall666 said:

FOR DOWN RIGHT HEAVY DUTY WORK THE L SERIES THEN THE DM MACK AND ALSO THE R MODEL MACK..

We have a Ln 9000 with a 325 3406 and a l9501 with a 375 Cummins had the Pete with big power but the fords are better for what we do. Concrete buddy sold 30 some LN fords a couple years ago he is running kenworth mixers now and long hood Pete’s to haul cement in pneumatic and mix material in side dump. The Pete’s are all on hiway though. The kenworths on some of the trucks are slopes hood w900 with a t 800 type hood. Mixer trucks are all M11 or Ism

5 minutes ago, MTO said:

So what`s a PACCAR then?

5 minutes ago, MTO said:

So what`s a PACCAR then?

The engine company Pete and Kw parent company started about 10 years ago. Now days Detriots  are usually in a freightliner as companies are intermingled. Cats are always in a long hood Pete with chicken lights just because they are. I don’t know which trucks run the big Cummins anymore. Quit working full time on them a few years ago now just 2 or 3 trucks a year i futz with

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MTO said:

So what`s a PACCAR then?

PACCAR is the parent company of Peterbilt and Kenworth. They started building their own engines after Caterpillar got out of the over the road engine business. Not a stellar reputation, but I know a couple guys that seem to like them OK. They have their emissions problems like everyone else. If I was buying a new truck it would have a Cummins in it, or more likely a glider with a CAT, but I hear the days of gliders are numbered. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

PACCAR is the parent company of Peterbilt and Kenworth. They started building their own engines after Caterpillar got out of the over the road engine business. Not a stellar reputation, but I know a couple guys that seem to like them OK. They have their emissions problems like everyone else. If I was buying a new truck it would have a Cummins in it, or more likely a glider with a CAT, but I hear the days of gliders are numbered. 

You dang truckers! Talking french!

So what`s a glider?

11 minutes ago, MTO said:

So what`s a glider?

A new truck minus the power train

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MTO said:

So what`s a glider?

A glider is a new truck delivered to the dealer with no engine or transmission and sometimes no rear axles. You then pay the dealer to install the (usually pre-emission) engine and transmission of your choice (and axles if need be). 

Ran an 04 long nose Pete for over 200000 miles back when I drove truck.  The 04 CAT was what they called the bridge motor.  It bridged the gap between the 03 c15 and the ACCERT (twin turbo)C15 that came out in 05.  The fleet had three of them, mine was the only one that didnt need an overhaul by 700000 miles.  No lug compared to the accert and about a half a mpg less fuel economy on the bridge motors.  18 speeds on all of them that we had, and yes the factory would only put a transmission behind the engine that would handle the torque.  

43 minutes ago, MTO said:

PACCAR is an independent engine company? Never heard of Paccar till oleman said about a museum.

How do they rate against the competition?

Will this be another oil thread?

Paccar owns Peterbilt and Kenworth. I wouldn’t call them an engine company. They never made anything but the cab and chassis for decades till about 10 years ago when they started building some. Never had one but never heard anything good about them either. 

39 minutes ago, farmall666 said:

FOR DOWN RIGHT HEAVY DUTY WORK THE L SERIES THEN THE DM MACK AND ALSO THE R MODEL MACK..ALL THREE MODELS WERE TOUGH TRUCKS..

That’s what they were built for. Rough country and geared down for big loads. 

Torque ratings on those trannys and rears are a lot lower than the driveline behind a big horse highway truck. One is geared to put power to the ground at walking speed or slower and the other is geared to pull 80,000+ up mountains. There’s not much comparison 

• Like 1

Mine has 44000 rears, 18 speed and was 500/1850  c15 from the factory.  I bumped it to 550 and noticed the difference, you always want more but I'm happy with it.

Didn't paccar start out building wood wagons?  Lol

Just kidding around.  Just seems that name is really old.  I might do some reading 

Well seems new enough must have been thinking of another old truck company like 50/60s idk 

1 hour ago, Tmtbob said:

Paccar owns Peterbilt and Kenworth. I wouldn’t call them an engine company. They never made anything but the cab and chassis for decades till about 10 years ago when they started building some. Never had one but never heard anything good about them either. 

That’s what they were built for. Rough country and geared down for big loads. 

Torque ratings on those trannys and rears are a lot lower than the driveline behind a big horse highway truck. One is geared to put power to the ground at walking speed or slower and the other is geared to pull 80,000+ up mountains. There’s not much comparison 

We are currently pricing a T800 and a 367 for a new feed mixer truck.  The PACCAR MX13 is the only engine we can get because of certain things we have to have REPTO is the main one.  I am understanding that engine was developed by DAF in Europe in about 2004.  It’s single cam in the cylinder block and high pressure common rail.  I’m thinking the after treatment system is what will give us fits but we will see.  Our last two mixer truck were gliders, a Pete and a Kenworth.  I was told gliders are over in 2020 but Peterbilt and Kenworth has stopped taking orders for 2020.  When you do the spacing on a new truck it will only let you select options that will work together .  International Paystars are tough trucks.  Too bad that all went down the toilet with the Maxxforce engine.  

First few 379 in truck paper adds only one out of first  5 had 44,000 rears. Others all light axles.

E165BF2D-3755-48F1-86BC-242AFA5029F1.png

2C352AC6-80D7-4BD0-B608-29E2B13A89D9.png

20AEE12F-C176-46B7-AAED-CB9D9794242F.png

0FE864E3-25D6-424D-A1B8-AEEC8E2BACBC.png

F9B1FF36-04EC-4C24-B149-DF3A5C241E05.png

B964BFDE-10A4-411C-971C-C7A6E409F717.png

2 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

A new truck minus the power train

kinda like race cars a called rolling/roller chassis w/out the engine/drivetrain or you can purchase it all together 

This and a irrigated potato grower is where I learned my truck repair stripes. He started out selling Chevy and other farm trucks with grain boxes. He had sold his large ranch in 93 after the farm crisis broke everybody. He stated selling trucks like he was doing part time in the 70s. Made a nice living out of it. Notice how clean they are

27FD3B92-728D-44AD-B2B4-B29E5C18D7F4.png

0F5E7721-CF33-445D-BF30-FAE5FF9322E5.png

F1D9B989-800C-42C4-BE67-A21F5CABC3D3.png

2A3CF99F-71E4-4E17-B8CB-E99EF3FCFF90.png

4BA842FD-322F-4BE0-844D-84B455001AC8.png

06BB40F9-5B0A-409A-9C3E-7C51AFFE33A1.png

04E6DDE0-7401-42CC-9C49-0E398709CFC9.png

8 hours ago, dale560 said:

Pete’s long hood are the Cadillac or Lincoln’s of trucks. I myself like a w900 kenworth.  The Pete ,Kenworth and other brand long hood are owner operator trucks. Showy look good on the road and in the parking lot. For down and dirty work the old L series ford was the heavy duty kidney bruising truck. For light duty the modern sloped trucks like a freighliner , Volvo or any other aero truck are easy to drive and maneuver. One thing most people don’t realize on the big Pete and Kenworh they usually run a big hp engine with light duty trans and light rear ends light brakes to save weight single frame. The vocational trucks run medium power engines heavy duty drive line,  heavy frame. The 05 was last year before twin turbo also

The light rear ends might be a US thing too, up here on the prairies we haven’t saw 38s in rears for years. 40s & 46s are the norm. 18 speed been the trans of choice since mid to late 80s. Most trucks were spec’d to pull trains(137,000lbs) or oilfield use. Usually largest engine available too. Cat or Cummins most popular too. For heavy duty oilfield or logging was usually a T800 or C500 KW or Western Stars. When the patch was going it was KW or Stars for Bed trucks too. I’ve put close to 2 million miles on KW & maybe only 100K on a Pete. So I’m pretty biased too.

2 minutes ago, D1206 said:

The light rear ends might be a US thing too, up here on the prairies we haven’t saw 38s in rears for years. 40s & 46s are the norm. 18 speed been the trans of choice since mid to late 80s. Most trucks were spec’d to pull trains(137,000lbs) or oilfield use. Usually largest engine available too. Cat or Cummins most popular too. For heavy duty oilfield or logging was usually a T800 or C500 KW or Western Stars. When the patch was going it was KW or Stars for Bed trucks too. I’ve put close to 2 million miles on KW & maybe only 100K on a Pete. So I’m pretty biased too.

The Canadian trucks that come through down here from the west are always heavy duty. Down here we are limited to 105,000 in ND and Mn is 88,000 without permits.  So big trucks aren’t the norm. One day I want to have  a Kenworth t800 they are nice driving trucks. My truck sales buddy sold a bunch of heavy duty KWs and other makes out to oil field companies when the boom took off. These were factory tri axles mostly heavy duty stuff.  He would get 60 to 80,000 for them. He always said farmers would ask about the kw ‘s  when setting next to the low budget International 9400 and freight liners but they were 20,000 to 30,000.

Just now, dale560 said:

The Canadian trucks that come through down here from the west are always heavy duty. Down here we are limited to 105,000 in ND and Mn is 88,000 without permits.  So big trucks aren’t the norm. One day I want to have  a Kenworth t800 they are nice driving trucks. My truck sales buddy sold a bunch of heavy duty KWs and other makes out to oil field companies when the boom took off. These were factory tri axles mostly heavy duty stuff.  He would get 60 to 80,000 for them. He always said farmers would ask about the kw ‘s  when setting next to the low budget International 9400 and freight liners but they were 20,000 to 30,000.

I drove a T800 in mid 90s for 2 years, they were probably the most universal truck at the time. They were a decent highway truck, rode good with the long front spring in set back axle, turned good, decent visibility & good resale. Mullen ran lots of them & never had trouble selling after highway days were over. Tridrives have been reasonably priced in last few Richie sales in Nisku due to patch being slow. Far as weight, unless they are running US(80;000) Anything else up here is around 100,000 for tandem tractor / tridem trailer. Or super B trains. Tandem tractor/ tridem lead/ tandem pup. 137,000.  Heavy haulers are anything above , just add jeeps or booster or 16 or 24 wheel  lowboys. Or mulitaxle heavy haul trailers.

The original post is about the 379x, not the plain old 379exhd. The 379x was a special longhood 379 that had polished front fenders, an aluminum dash, and custom emblems. They did only make around 2000 of them in 2004-2005. I have seen a few of these trucks in my lifetime, but they are somewhat hard to come by. They have a sleeper emblem that says 379X where the unibilt sleeper emblem is normally found. I have attached a picture of the interior of a 379X, if you also notice, the floor cover for the transmission also has 379X on it. Another note, the last 1000 379's made in 2007 were called the legacy class. 

379x.jpg

2 minutes ago, Hooked66 said:

The original post is about the 379x, not the plain old 379exhd. The 379x was a special longhood 379 that had polished front fenders, an aluminum dash, and custom emblems. They did only make around 2000 of them in 2004-2005. I have seen a few of these trucks in my lifetime, but they are somewhat herd to come by. They have a sleeper emblem that says 379X where the unibilt sleeper emblem is normally found. I have attached a picture of the interior of a 379X, if you also notice, the floor cover for the transmission also has 379X on it. Another note, the last 1000 379's made in 2007 were called the legacy class. 

379x.jpg

That’s what the dealer in Texas had a bunch of the legacy class on the lots. His ad always started with hoods, hoods, hoods we got them. Then a picture wither all staggered in the sales lot.

14 minutes ago, Hooked66 said:

The original post is about the 379x, not the plain old 379exhd. The 379x was a special longhood 379 that had polished front fenders, an aluminum dash, and custom emblems. They did only make around 2000 of them in 2004-2005. I have seen a few of these trucks in my lifetime, but they are somewhat hard to come by. They have a sleeper emblem that says 379X where the unibilt sleeper emblem is normally found. I have attached a picture of the interior of a 379X, if you also notice, the floor cover for the transmission also has 379X on it. Another note, the last 1000 379's made in 2007 were called the legacy class. 

379x.jpg

Thank you. Have not seen one of these, didn’t know they had made this special edition.  It is pretty marvelous. 

Had a l9000 ford couldn’t beat it to death it would beat you first great farm truck have a 86 359 3406b 15 speed 600 hp not bad but light duty compared to ford and a 2000 379 44 rear 18 speed 3/8 frame 900hp 3406e love the operator comfort point and hang on