MTO

04 Pete 379X

Was reading an article about these trucks and it sounds like they were a perty special rig.

Anyone ever have or still have one?

I have an ‘02. Id say it’s pretty special. But I’m biased. 
48B82227-7B3E-49ED-BC31-69E0C55841E7.thumb.jpeg.fbd18f02970a3a98b50480fca6872299.jpeg

I don’t know that an ‘04 would be that much different than my ‘02. I think ‘04 might’ve been the last year for the single turbo CAT, or might have been a transition year to the twin turbo design. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I do know that the ‘07 379X Legacy Edition (last year for the 379 model) are pretty sought after. 

They made 379’s for a long time, not sure what’s special about an ‘04. I drove a 379 extended hood day cab a few times, I thought it looked silly...huge hood and tiny cab.

Nicest truck I've ridden in, I love mine.

KIMG0116.JPG

• Like 2

This article stated it`s items included polished aluminum dash, 127" hood, and a 550hp Cat and less than 2000 built. 

12 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

I do know that the ‘07 379X Legacy Edition (last year for the 379 model) are pretty sought after. 

That’s the one I was thinking of the last year of the 379 long hood

Just now, MTO said:

This article stated it`s items included polished aluminum dash, 127" hood, and a 550hp Cat and less than 2000 built. 

Pete’s long hood are the Cadillac or Lincoln’s of trucks. I myself like a w900 kenworth.  The Pete ,Kenworth and other brand long hood are owner operator trucks. Showy look good on the road and in the parking lot. For down and dirty work the old L series ford was the heavy duty kidney bruising truck. For light duty the modern sloped trucks like a freighliner , Volvo or any other aero truck are easy to drive and maneuver. One thing most people don’t realize on the big Pete and Kenworh they usually run a big hp engine with light duty trans and light rear ends light brakes to save weight single frame. The vocational trucks run medium power engines heavy duty drive line,  heavy frame. The 05 was last year before twin turbo also

• Like 1

He’s not talking about a normal 379. It’s a 379x with the stainless front fenders. Didn’t know they did a stainless dash also though. Never looked in one and with all the laws and emissions out now I have no interest in anything after 2000 models.  When I can convince my wife that we need it I’ll find a 359 extended hood to convert over and run.  They made 379 from 87 to 07 and they numbered the last 379 made like they did with the 359’s before in 87

We ran various  Freightliner  models for years until we got out of the "haul for little ROI business"  in 2017,   Our operations manager always said the Freightliner was a Pete but $50,000 cheaper.

I always looked at freightliner as the jd 9600 of the industry. In the 90’s they had the market flooded

25 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

He’s not talking about a normal 379. It’s a 379x with the stainless front fenders. Didn’t know they did a stainless dash also though. Never looked in one and with all the laws and emissions out now I have no interest in anything after 2000 models.  When I can convince my wife that we need it I’ll find a 359 extended hood to convert over and run.  They made 379 from 87 to 07 and they numbered the last 379 made like they did with the 359’s before in 87

I'm thinking the X edition was made only in 04, but I could be mistaken. Seems like only in black also.

44 minutes ago, dale560 said:

. One thing most people don’t realize on the big Pete and Kenworh they usually run a big hp engine with light duty trans and light rear ends light brakes to save weight single frame.

Nobody I know spec'ed them out like that here...........only trucks like that around here were line haul trucks with elf engines.  

Stainless fenders, yes.

Poor picture I know.

20191114_142756.jpg

31 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Nobody I know spec'ed them out like that here...........only trucks like that around here were line haul trucks with elf engines.  

My truck buddy made a few million selling fancy trucks. The medium dollar money maker trucks he sold were ihc or freightliners for farmers. But he always found low mileage super sharp Pete’s and Kenworths. Did enough clutch wheel seal brake work and engine seals on his stuff to know. Most long hood Pete’s had big cat then a 1200  ft lb trans with 38,000 maybe 40,000 lb rears for weight savings over the road. Usually the heavy duty kenworth t 800 and other makes  used 44,000 rears big clutches big transmission. Not much difference in them all but you haul gravel or something strenuous like lowboy you bust rear axle housings and such. You can mix and match on older trucks so most of the real old ones have had stuff swapped already. Now realize any truck could be spec however you wanted

57 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

I'm thinking the X edition was made only in 04, but I could be mistaken. Seems like only in black also.

That`s how the article read but if Ron and Pete have one, the "X" was built in other years, dunno.

If those transmissions were that weak they weren’t big cats. C12 maybe so but not a 3406e over 400hp or a c15. The dealers wouldn’t even turn up power past 475 if they didn’t have at least a decent 13 speed behind them. They were putting 14613 trannys in the b models in the 80’s and 90’s and those are rated at 1450ftlb. The factory 600’s came out with the bigger driveline and 20918 trannys. They were heavier to make paccar feel warm and fuzzy inside with a warranty on them. But I have been told the part numbers are the same between the 18, 20, and 22 series Eaton’s.  The 550’s and some 500’s came out with 18913’s

This posting is another reminder for me to get over to the PACCAR museum over in Denton Tx  at the plant.  I was told by someone in Mkt at PACCAR that they had most of the standard models from the 50's to 2019 on display.  Good way to spend some time with an American big iron  Icon.

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

Pete’s long hood are the Cadillac or Lincoln’s of trucks. I myself like a w900 kenworth.  The Pete ,Kenworth and other brand long hood are owner operator trucks. Showy look good on the road and in the parking lot. For down and dirty work the old L series ford was the heavy duty kidney bruising truck. For light duty the modern sloped trucks like a freighliner , Volvo or any other aero truck are easy to drive and maneuver. One thing most people don’t realize on the big Pete and Kenworh they usually run a big hp engine with light duty trans and light rear ends light brakes to save weight single frame. The vocational trucks run medium power engines heavy duty drive line,  heavy frame. The 05 was last year before twin turbo also

I like Kenworth a little better than a Pete. I feel Kenworth have a little more leg room.  That's why I run W900 Kenworths. A Kenworth or Pete can be spec out for off road work also.  A Kenworth or Pete has a way better cab than those old Ford's.    Not sure how your guy got those trucks with high HP cats with small transmissions and rear ends. Manufactors always match the motor HP to transmission and rear ends. A 435 HP would have at least a 1400 Lb transmission. Most had at 1600 LB transmisions.  A.  high HP Cat would have at least a 2000 LB transmission and most have 2200 Lb transmission.  What I bet he was doing was buying a low HP engine and turning up the HP. Thats the only way a High HP engine could have a small transmission and rear end.    No dealer would turn up HP past what the transmission or rear end will take.  They don't want to pay out on warranty. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

If those transmissions were that weak they weren’t big cats. C12 maybe so but not a 3406e over 400hp or a c15. The dealers wouldn’t even turn up power past 475 if they didn’t have at least a decent 13 speed behind them. They were putting 14613 trannys in the b models in the 80’s and 90’s and those are rated at 1450ftlb. The factory 600’s came out with the bigger driveline and 20918 trannys. They were heavier to make paccar feel warm and fuzzy inside with a warranty on them. But I have been told the part numbers are the same between the 18, 20, and 22 series Eaton’s.  The 550’s and some 500’s came out with 18913’s

When I ordersd the  W900  with a. High HP C15 cat. We could only get it with an 18 speed. They do not make a13 speed heavy enough to take the HP. I had no choice that was the only way it came from the factory.           The part numbers are different between the 1800 2000 2200 and 2400 LB Eatons. If you take them apart there is a difference in them.  There is no way Kenworth and Pete are going to put a light transmission behind a High HP engine. It would break them paying out on warranty.   Hard telling what has been changed out over the years. 

Never ever cared to learn the numbers on those transmissions. When you pulled one out of a  big hood Pete they didn’t have the heavy duty  trans that some serious  work trucks ran. They had a trans that was big enough but not what the heavy duty trucks run. Just for weight savings reasons and ease of use. The older 359 early 379 buddy actually had a couple axles housings he had welded and changed some that were cracked. Always the light duty axle 38,000. Five years ago we had a 86 or 7 Pete with 3406 C block it had the Pete special ten speed they all had back then. Down for 9th up for 10 a OD gear. Motor would run like heck but geared wrong and about 3O ft long for small farm use

3 hours ago, MTO said:

You know your king of the road with the extended hood. Remember one of the truck dealers in Dallas or around there used to advertise they had 30+ hoods on the lot all the time. When they quit them advertised he had hundreds on order and would put a plaque in the dash for you

2 hours ago, oleman said:

This posting is another reminder for me to get over to the PACCAR museum over in Denton Tx  at the plant.  I was told by someone in Mkt at PACCAR that they had most of the standard models from the 50's to 2019 on display.  Good way to spend some time with an American big iron  Icon.

PACCAR is an independent engine company? Never heard of Paccar till oleman said about a museum.

How do they rate against the competition?

Will this be another oil thread?

3 hours ago, MTO said:

That`s how the article read but if Ron and Pete have one, the "X" was built in other years, dunno.

The 379 EXHD or extended hood I’m pretty sure was available for the entire run of the 379 model, 1987-2007. The EXHD is 127” from bumper to back of cab. The 379 short hood is 119” from bumper to back of cab. The EXHD has an extra 8” of room under the hood. 

5 hours ago, dale560 said:

FOR DOWN RIGHT HEAVY DUTY WORK THE L SERIES THEN THE DM MACK AND ALSO THE R MODEL MACK..ALL THREE MODELS WERE TOUGH TRUCKS..

• Like 1