Jump to content

Ford F250


Ih78
 Share

Recommended Posts

I get around 18 with cruise set unloaded with my 6.7. Just running around it’s around 15.5mpg average. Hauling a tractor or something on the gooseneck I never checked for sure but I’m still over 10. Engine is stock 2016.  Truck is 4 door with 6’ bed and weighs in right at 8K with tools in the toolbox. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a 2016 f350, 6.7 4door, 6.5 foot bed, like the others here. Strange how there's no way I can get the mileage they are, unless I'm going down hill. I have just over 66,000 miles on it, there's more to the picture obviously. Gearing is a big factor when looking at fuel economy. I consistently get 14 as an avg.

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have a '12 with the 6.2 w/6sp auto. It has been a very good motor for me. I am surprised at how well it pulls. I have a 24' GN stock trailer. 24' triple axle flatbed trailer and a 7 bale hauler. It starts a load and pulls them all well going down the road. About 170K on the clock and nothing but oil changes. I have hauled some tractors in and out of Iowa in the last couple years and got around 10mpg for the long trips. Running without a trailer it gets around 14. Kinda wish I would have got the F350, (I do have Dodge dually 4x4 Cummins 5sp for the heavy loads) may add air bags, 3/4 ton a bit  on the light side. 

633079856_balehauler.thumb.jpg.b80b0860394e85ee6b276a814fa28825.jpg

M.thumb.jpg.c0f987c85b2a8af934aeb9664f57eebf.jpg

1460695254_stocktrailer.thumb.jpg.6a490c8349a0428dec73d38dda105538.jpg

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, td9inidaho said:

I have a 2016 f350, 6.7 4door, 6.5 foot bed, like the others here. Strange how there's no way I can get the mileage they are, unless I'm going down hill. I have just over 66,000 miles on it, there's more to the picture obviously. Gearing is a big factor when looking at fuel economy. I consistently get 14 as an avg.

Mark

I picked up over 1.5 mpg when I deleted it at 9000 miles best thing I ever did

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gheez   sandhiller.........I would not want you to see my #2  "work vehicle........a Datsun......sigh....you would need counselling.........that is if you didn't get an attack of "Datsun  Envy "

...because my endeavours are mostly responsible for the necessary   cash flow..in our humble operation......my boy thinks HE   should have our Toyota   Hilux 4x4....thus I am relegated to the Datsun.......

Things were better in 1980 ........my Ford  F100.......

"How the mighty have fallen ""  .....:( sigh

Mike.          

post-157-0-63831300-1458722136.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Have a '12 with the 6.2 w/6sp auto. It has been a very good motor for me. I am surprised at how well it pulls. I have a 24' GN stock trailer. 24' triple axle flatbed trailer and a 7 bale hauler. It starts a load and pulls them all well going down the road. About 170K on the clock and nothing but oil changes. I have hauled some tractors in and out of Iowa in the last couple years and got around 10mpg for the long trips. Running without a trailer it gets around 14. Kinda wish I would have got the F350, (I do have Dodge dually 4x4 Cummins 5sp for the heavy loads) may add air bags, 3/4 ton a bit  on the light side. 

 

M.thumb.jpg.c0f987c85b2a8af934aeb9664f57eebf.jpg

 

 

is that an old F11 for your loader tractor? we had one on our 560 - it was over used and lots of cracks welded on it ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ih78 said:

What kind of fuel mileage is everyone seeing with their F250 with 6.2 gas or 6.7 diesel? Has anyone experienced mechanical failure with either engine? 

i did a summary on this from a fella that provided his own mileage for a one year documented detailed use of his 2015 6.2 he loved the truck and it did great for him, he biggest complaint was mileage - readers digest version its a 7911 truck - 7 mpg pulling moderate loads - 9 mixed 11 on hwy

my 6.0 p/s is a 121619 truck if i keep my foot out in the cool months 101518 the rest of the time but if you run over 75 you will get 16 - mine has not been deleted - 6.7 seem to be similar from what i have heard with tons more power but you have to add DEF costs to the list unless you are saavy like thesd5488 - my nephew has a 6.4 and his is a lil more thirsty but then again he is 30 and drives more aggressive than me

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mike_newman said:

Gheez   sandhiller.........I would not want you to see my #2  "work vehicle........a Datsun......sigh....you would need counselling.........that is if you didn't get an attack of "Datsun  Envy "

...because my endeavours are mostly responsible for the necessary   cash flow..in our humble operation......my boy thinks HE   should have our Toyota   Hilux 4x4....thus I am relegated to the Datsun.......

Things were better in 1980 ........my Ford  F100.......

"How the mighty have fallen ""  .....:( sigh

Mike.          

post-157-0-63831300-1458722136.jpg

looks like shes smoking a bit  there Mike  :D

nice looking 79

Mike

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mike_newman said:

Gheez   sandhiller.........I would not want you to see my #2  "work vehicle........a Datsun......sigh....you would need counselling.........that is if you didn't get an attack of "Datsun  Envy "

...because my endeavours are mostly responsible for the necessary   cash flow..in our humble operation......my boy thinks HE   should have our Toyota   Hilux 4x4....thus I am relegated to the Datsun.......

Things were better in 1980 ........my Ford  F100.......

"How the mighty have fallen ""  .....:( sigh

Mike.          

post-157-0-63831300-1458722136.jpg

 

Very nice '79 there Mike! Careful you don't burn the paint off the hood with that smokepole? I've had some envies, Datsun not one of them?.

Before the SxS's took over, some of the ranches out here liked the little Datsun/Toyota 4x4's for running pastures. Lightweight, tough, easy on gas and got around good. I thought about it but never pulled the trigger. Actually, they would probably be more economical to run than the overpriced SxS's. And cost half as much to get into. Maybe I got the envy after all ??

 

5 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

is that an old F11 for your loader tractor? we had one on our 560 - it was over used and lots of cracks welded on it ?

Dual 300. Welded up the cracks on it after I bought it on a farm sale. It has been a good loader ever since. It has been used hard and with the live pump on the old SM will lift over it's paygrade. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

looks a lot like an F11 we didnt have a grapple on ours, my FIL had a wrap around frame Farmhand on his Super M he pushed snow with in SD all the time, it was never off the tractor. Sold it like that at the farm sale in 07. It had that same PTO pump setup and handles on the frame with the hydraulic oil tank on it, worked pretty slick too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Ranch Hand on the front?  I’ve been wanting one for mine but haven’t been able to make myself pull the trigger.....yet. 

Yes sir, the heavy built one with the pipe. IIRC @1200. Shrugs off deer at 65 with leaving a mark. Not sure about cow bovine or elk sized critters. Hope I don't test it out on one but if I do, I think I will be glad I have the Ranch Hand. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

looks a lot like an F11 we didnt have a grapple on ours, my FIL had a wrap around frame Farmhand on his Super M he pushed snow with in SD all the time, it was never off the tractor. Sold it like that at the farm sale in 07. It had that same PTO pump setup and handles on the frame with the hydraulic oil tank on it, worked pretty slick too. 

(your FIL) Farmhand F10. They were popular here with guys who stacked hay and didn't have a slide or overthrow/overshot stacker. The F10 was wide, stable and would lift a big load of hay to put in the cage. I still have one out back that came on an old Oliver 70. The newer heavier duty version was the F25. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sandhiller said:

 

Very nice '79 there Mike! Careful you don't burn the paint off the hood with that smokepole? I've had some envies, Datsun not one of them?.

Before the SxS's took over, some of the ranches out here liked the little Datsun/Toyota 4x4's for running pastures. Lightweight, tough, easy on gas and got around good. I thought about it but never pulled the trigger. Actually, they would probably be more economical to run than the overpriced SxS's. And cost half as much to get into. Maybe I got the envy after all ??

 

 

........in 1977  good  friend and I ...plus the two wives of the day, had  six  wonderfull    weeks in the US....my 2nd trip ...Mate's first trip.....Along the way we stayed with another life long friend from Kanab, Utah.......first time staying with Lynn    from Utah...he had proper "pick ups ".....as you folk call them....F250's as he was logging in the Kaibab  Forest at the time.......When we visited in "77......he had brought  ...of all things......a freaking Datsun    4x4,     Up to that point I thought he was a great  bloke...he had been out hunting  Chamois and Red  Deer with me in NZ......but after the Datsun purchase..I realized    Lynn had several glaring blind spots in his makeup.....:mellow:...not only it was a freaking rice burner...it was petrol.......He said he nearly brought a Toyota Land Cruiser...short box station wagon thing........I was almost in tears at this point.....(:()......He never swears ..I said ....." A f*****g Land Cruiser"  ...you need a speaking tube to converse with a passenger, once you hit 50 miles PH"......'and a whole lot more,I might add !!!!!

How any sane male in the United States of America...in the 70's   decade........ thought that any bloody rice burner was a superior to the domestic pickups.......five odd brands...maybe six.... simply defies belief.............One thing NZ'ers    know about is rice burners...there is a proliferation of the bloody things here......They have improved  over the years,,,,,(he said, grudgingly...sigh )

I am a mere 5'10''..my NZ friend was 6'    ....Lynn is also six foot, but he had to have a helluva lot longer belt than us.........and we spent several days , shoe horned into that apology  for a vehicle..........this in the USA....where  even some one suffering from  erectile   dysfunction  could be cured...simply by looking , nay, salvitating  at the beautiful  late 70's and early 80's  trucks......

Now I have a diesel Datsun...late 80's model    ...4x2   of course....if it has a redeeming feature..it is cheap to run........so Sandhiller...you made the right decision........the only decision.....buy   US   made...and be proud of it

My F100   , I brought  new in 1980...indented it from Australia.......sadly about a year later, due to the "Matrimonial Property   Act"...I had to liquidate my contracting business....kept the F truck for awhile...but the the Inland  Revenue  came a calling....... I ended up with a 1974  HQ Holden  Ute....as we call them......It was Brown...(dreadful  colour )...with blue smoke..................................but when I cranked up again , found a RHD    "78 Ford    4x4...still have it .....(parked in the shed...)

Mike

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mike_newman said:

........in 1977  good  friend and I ...plus the two wives of the day, had  six  wonderfull    weeks in the US....my 2nd trip ...Mate's first trip.....Along the way we stayed with another life long friend from Kanab, Utah.......first time staying with Lynn    from Utah...he had proper "pick ups ".....as you folk call them....F250's as he was logging in the Kaibab  Forest at the time.......When we visited in "77......he had brought  ...of all things......a freaking Datsun    4x4,     Up to that point I thought he was a great  bloke...he had been out hunting  Chamois and Red  Deer with me in NZ......but after the Datsun purchase..I realized    Lynn had several glaring blind spots in his makeup.....:mellow:...not only it was a freaking rice burner...it was petrol.......He said he nearly brought a Toyota Land Cruiser...short box station wagon thing........I was almost in tears at this point.....(:()......He never swears ..I said ....." A f*****g Land Cruiser"  ...you need a speaking tube to converse with a passenger, once you hit 50 miles PH"......'and a whole lot more,I might add !!!!!

How any sane male in the United States of America...in the 70's   decade........ thought that any bloody rice burner was a superior to the domestic pickups.......five odd brands...maybe six.... simply defies belief.............One thing NZ'ers    know about is rice burners...there is a proliferation of the bloody things here......They have improved  over the years,,,,,(he said, grudgingly...sigh )

I am a mere 5'10''..my NZ friend was 6'    ....Lynn is also six foot, but he had to have a helluva lot longer belt than us.........and we spent several days , shoe horned into that apology  for a vehicle..........this in the USA....where  even some one suffering from  erectile   dysfunction  could be cured...simply by looking , nay, salvitating  at the beautiful  late 70's and early 80's  trucks......

Now I have a diesel Datsun...late 80's model    ...4x2   of course....if it has a redeeming feature..it is cheap to run........so Sandhiller...you made the right decision........the only decision.....buy   US   made...and be proud of it

My F100   , I brought  new in 1980...indented it from Australia.......sadly about a year later, due to the "Matrimonial Property   Act"...I had to liquidate my contracting business....kept the F truck for awhile...but the the Inland  Revenue  came a calling....... I ended up with a 1974  HQ Holden  Ute....as we call them......It was Brown...(dreadful  colour )...with blue smoke..................................but when I cranked up again , found a RHD    "78 Ford    4x4...still have it .....(parked in the shed...)

Mike

LOL, OK Mike, I'll call off the search for a "ranch Datsun" and keep running my Fords, Dodges and overpriced Polaris. Glad you found a '78. Around here the 77 to 79 Fords were considered some of the best pickups ever made. More of them still running around earning a living than any other period/make. And thank you for a story that is as colorful as the pictures you send. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Ranch Hand on the front?  I’ve been wanting one for mine but haven’t been able to make myself pull the trigger.....yet. 

 

9 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Yes sir, the heavy built one with the pipe. IIRC @1200. Shrugs off deer at 65 with leaving a mark. Not sure about cow bovine or elk sized critters. Hope I don't test it out on one but if I do, I think I will be glad I have the Ranch Hand. 

 It will pay for itself the first time it’s needed!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Around here the 77 to 79 Fords were considered some of the best pickups ever made. More of them still running around earning a living than any other period/make. And thank you for a story that is as colorful as the pictures you send. ?

I bought a '78 F150 the last Saturday of the BIG IH strike. Had 27,000 miles on it, taked to the prior owner, had a little body work on the left frt fender. 300-6 NP435 4-spd, NP205 T-case, cast iron case forged steel cut gears on heavy shafts, 9" Traction-Loc rear, Dana 44 mono-beam frt., 3.50 gears. Without overdrive it ran 2600 rpm at 65 mph and got 13-14 mpg,  I did get 17 on one tank once. The Carter YF-1A carb was about as advanced a fuel metering device as a soup can with a hole poked in the bottom.

By the time it was 5-6 years old the drivers door was 4 inches shorter than the passenger side door. Rust!  First rust hole in left rear fender at 3 years old. I put a sheet of 3/4" marine plywood on the bed floor, big rust holes in the rear wheel tubs in box threw road splash on rear cab window and mirrors. Surprisingly the front cab mounts were solid.  Traded it at 9 yrs old for an identically spec'd '87 F150. Much better truck, far fewer problems than the '78 but still only HALF the truck my '96 F250 diesel was/is. The '96 was rock solid till I semi-retired it in 2006 with around 250,000 miles.  SON's fixed most of it's issues and with 307,000+ it's his daily driver. He gets compliments on it at least once a week. His 2018 Mustang GT in a dark metallic KONA blue nobody says a thing about.

Anyhow, who's going to be the first to get the new Ford 7.3L GASOLINE engine?  That thing will be a BEAST. Shades of the Ford gasoline Super-Duty big truck engines, 401,477,534 cid. The 7.3 supposed to make up to 430 hp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...