Sign in to follow this  
shieldslx

Hot allis

Was around 426's in a lot of Uni's, even seen them run with radiators that were less than ideal and never seen one get hot, even during the hottest times of the year picking seed corn or chopping.  Can't speak on the tractors.

To injpumped, I have not redone the pump,  I do remember that you were backed up.  How are you now?  He has just bought a 2255 in search of anything that will start good and lug.  He likes the 1355mm he has but it is on its second overhaul in 3k hours and is not looking good.  I believe I will be rebuilding one over the winter.  I have decided to try cam to crank timing mod with an offset key for a few degrees, its something ive done with a ford FE.  Your thoughts on that would be appreciated too.

id guess engine/fuel injection timing first off if all the water stuff has been done, again this is just a guess - id next go for try running it in a lower gear and see if you are just trying to GO TOO FAST doing what you are doing and maybe lugging it too much since from what i can gather those engines dont like to be lugged - my buddy does that all the time with his 358 perkins/2-105 white and it doesnt like it one bit, gear down and its fine, especially in temps over 75 degrees. Does it get hot roading it pulling something or only in slow field work? ponder that if so - are all the shrouds/covers on, fan belt tight. put it on a dyno or feed grinder or something stationary to load it and see if it gets hot vs doing moving work.  Im sorry i dont know anything about timing im more of a guy that tries to figure stuff out by elimination and then leaves the complicated stuff to REAL mechanics like are on here - i never had someone around to teach me im just a desperation/crisis mechanic 

1 hour ago, shieldslx said:

He has just bought a 2255 in search of anything that will start good and lug.  

Sounds like he should have been looking for a 1466. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shieldslx said:

We both agree, but when was the last time you saw a low hour 1466 for 5900????????

Well, I guess you got me there. The low hours at that price won’t be easy to find unless you want to gamble at an auction. 

8 hours ago, shieldslx said:

And I know I'm posting a lot but you all are really the nicest people, ive followed this forum because there is not a lot of bad mouthing other brands and a genuine sense of trying to help people...I'm very excited.

Us?

The nicest people?

I do not mean to insult you when I ask “What rock do you live under?”

Have you seen the way that I tease Seth/VTFireman?

Or better yet, the way that Old Tanker/Rick squabbles with his brother? Attila?

Seriously though, this is a pretty good group of tractor people!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, shieldslx said:

To injpumped, I have not redone the pump,  I do remember that you were backed up.  How are you now?  He has just bought a 2255 in search of anything that will start good and lug.  He likes the 1355mm he has but it is on its second overhaul in 3k hours and is not looking good.  I believe I will be rebuilding one over the winter.  I have decided to try cam to crank timing mod with an offset key for a few degrees, its something ive done with a ford FE.  Your thoughts on that would be appreciated too.

I'm much more caught up now, been a very busy season. I would not worry about trying to just throw an offset key in, I'm more concerned the timing is off to begin with. Obviously the first thing to do is get pump checked over/serviced properly. The fact that it will overheat and barely pull itself up a hill at 5mph tells me something is sick. The 7080 pump has a light load advance in it, the 7060 does not. The G1355 is a horse, but yea, keeping those mm 585's together is expensive, and pistons are getting harder to come by. You'll like the 2255 even with the 3150. A big CID natural aspirated engine in a 2wd tractor makes for a snappy gutsy mofo. I bought an AC 220 a few years ago from a guy by Streator, and we used his 7040 to load the dead 220. The 7040 had a DT466 in it. Was a nice job, and looked pretty nice in there. That would make a pretty great tractor. 

• Like 2

Here are the tractor data specs. If your 7080 wont drive up a hill somethings wrong.

A38F7224-C136-44B6-A46B-BF2E792878C6.png

F78D3B6B-CB0A-4DB8-A50D-61D724A82F68.png

I'm not much of an AC fan mainly because other then a few D21s there just wasn't very many around here to look at.  We do own a D17 diesel and its alright but I would take about 3 other tractors from the competition ahead of it given the choice.  Plus I've never been impressed by the fact they tried to get away with smaller engines then everybody else.  So can anybody explain why AC dropped the hp going from the 7080 to the 8070?  Is that because the 426 didn't hold up at 180 hp? 

8 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I'm not much of an AC fan mainly because other then a few D21s there just wasn't very many around here to look at.  We do own a D17 diesel and its alright but I would take about 3 other tractors from the competition ahead of it given the choice.  Plus I've never been impressed by the fact they tried to get away with smaller engines then everybody else.  So can anybody explain why AC dropped the hp going from the 7080 to the 8070?  Is that because the 426 didn't hold up at 180 hp? 

I know the 8050 operators book listed the engine rated at 2,500 RPM (and then said) do not lug more than 100 RPM .....

Saying it had no torque was being nice 

I think they would have to make the engine mad to get a little more fight out of it. They never impressed us and our previous tractor it replaced was a 1066 we bought new in '72?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I think it was because the 8070 got the powershift.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bitty said:

I know the 8050 operators book listed the engine rated at 2,500 RPM (and then said) do not lug more than 100 RPM .....

That tells you all you need to know about those engines. 

Just now, exSW said:

I thought the AC guru(Norm Swineford?) said they had issues with the 7080 and wanted to help the longevity in the 8070........one of the magazines did a story a few years back that they were looking at using a Komatsu engine in the tractors coming after the 8070.  Hunleys I believe bought the parts of 2 and put 2 together with engines from dozers?

Just now, Big Bud guy said:

That tells you all you need to know about those engines. 

We bought a well used 1586 in '96 and I couldn't believe how much better that 15 pulled our 14' JD 714 conservatill that had 11 or 13 shank I can't remember anymore 

2 minutes ago, exSW said:

So are you suggesting they had to reduce to the horsepower because the powershift wouldn't hold up?  That doesn't make sense because you still had the option of the PD transmission.  Either way it doesn't look good when you replace one tractor with another one that has less horsepower.  I think I'm going to stick to my theory the 426 was a little weak at the high end. 

1 minute ago, TP from Central PA said:

I thought the AC guru(Norm Swineford?) said they had issues with the 7080 and wanted to help the longevity in the 8070........one of the magazines did a story a few years back that they were looking at using a Komatsu engine in the tractors coming after the 8070.  Hunleys I believe bought the parts of 2 and put 2 together with engines from dozers?

Hunleys? Everit Hunley guy who sold repower kits? 

2 minutes ago, bitty said:

We bought a well used 1586 in '96 and I couldn't believe how much better that 15 pulled our 14' JD 714 conservatill that had 11 or 13 shank I can't remember anymore 

And those ran at 2,500 rpms too??

Just now, bitty said:

Hunleys? 

Yes, believe that is the name, had a big AC dealership.

1 minute ago, Big Bud guy said:

And those ran at 2,500 rpms too??

You could lug that 436 in the 15 whatever you want to do and she would hang in there.. it ran close to as good as the 8050 did AFTER we bought a kit from Everit Hunley to repower the 8050 with a 210 HP Cummins 8.3 

I never realized that Hunley was an Allis Chummers dealer, I thought they were just a Cummins dealer / fabricator. I think I found out about the kits in Farm show magazine

Moms  cousin pulled a 33 ft flexicoil and 2320 cart then used the 8070 to feed 150 cows in the winter. Engine never have him any troubles. Other stuff on tractor have problems. He traded it for a 8870 ford new holland after 5 years.

Torque limiter clutch was a repeat offender. I think we replaced the one in the 8050 pumpkin more times total than all the Magnums we have 

10 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

10 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

So are you suggesting they had to reduce to the horsepower because the powershift wouldn't hold up?  That doesn't make sense because you still had the option of the PD transmission.  Either way it doesn't look good when you replace one tractor with another one that has less horsepower.  I think I'm going to stick to my theory the 426 was a little weak at the high end. 

Then why did they not put the PS in the 7080?

21 minutes ago, exSW said:

Then why did they not put the PS in the 7080?

I don't know, I will have too look for that article...........it was mostly about the Komatsu engine and why they were planning on using it, but the beginning was about the derating from the 7080 to the 8070 because of engine being over taxed and they knew any future versions of the 8070 were not going to be able to push the 426 higher in hp.  The article was in Heritage Iron.