Dean Foods bankrupt

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i guarantee there are 10 bazillion yogurt products that more than make up for the consumption of straight milk - in the past 10 to 15 yrs i bet you its quadrupled for yogurt - heck they even have it i

Oh! Oh! I can answer this one! The reason Prairie Farms milk tastes so much better is because our Jersey cows lovingly produce milk for Prairie Farms.  Thank You for buying Prairie Farms mil

We're doing our best to help out at our house. 2 adults, 3 boys and a girl are going through about 3-4 gallons per week.

Posted Images

I just learned about the bankruptcy a few minutes ago.  The article I read blamed the significant drop in consumer demand for milk over the last several decades.  Milk sales were off 40% since 1975.  The average American now consumes only 17 gallons per year.

Heard on business report DFA was going to buy them. My best friend was in maintenance at a Deans plant for 29 years when that plant got shut down. Got. A small severance and his pension is going to be a whopping $100 a month.

The article I read said that Walmart dropped Land O' Lakes milk products when Walmart's dairies came on line and also people were drinking more "plant based milks", like almond milk. I remember paying the dairy checkoff when we were milking, and it was supposed to promote milk and milk products, but I was told checkoff dollars have been used to promote almond milk and other "fake" milks. I wonder if those "plant based" milk producers have to pay into the checkoff?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The average American consumes now only 17 gallons per year.

didnt know it was that bad...

we cut back to 3 g /wk  due to poor quality and difficult to find products of (non) mega BTO peroxide/plastic (^%$^)

also cut out 80% of processed products for  same reasons + GREED!!  $7 for hunk of flavorless cheese or 2oz net of air/ice cream/tar (box flavor)

greed and too big to fail...govt sucking payoffs  rather than trust busting back into "proper " competition size < $5m/yr

OK guys do the math.

The average American in 1975 consumed 24 gallons of milk a year. That's 215,970,000 people X 24 = 5,183,280,000 gallons of milk. Today 329,920,000 consume 17 gallons. So 329,920,000 X 17=5,608,640,000 gallons. 5,608,640,000 - 5,183,280,000=425,360,000. That's 425,360,000 more gallons needed per year today. That means that the demand overall is up while personal consumption is down. So just how did this cause Dean's to fail? It didn't. Somewhere in there you are going to find it was more mismanagement than anything else. 

I read something last month from the USDA that said demand for dairy products in the US has risen every year sense the mid 70's.

Rick

• Like 1

I don't know, but between my wife and kids, they put a hurting on milk.................I never drank alot of it.  We got acouple nice heifers here that we will be milking come spring after they calve for ourselves and family.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, oldtanker said:

OK guys do the math.

The average American in 1975 consumed 24 gallons of milk a year. That's 215,970,000 people X 24 = 5,183,280,000 gallons of milk. Today 329,920,000 consume 17 gallons. So 329,920,000 X 17=5,608,640,000 gallons. 5,608,640,000 - 5,183,280,000=425,360,000. That's 425,360,000 more gallons needed per year today. That means that the demand overall is up while personal consumption is down. So just how did this cause Dean's to fail? It didn't. Somewhere in there you are going to find it was more mismanagement than anything else. 

I read something last month from the USDA that said demand for dairy products in the US has risen every year sense the mid 70's.

Rick

assume that data leaves out export/imports , cheese/processed products,all the yuppie laty frapies etc

and govt dried stock piles   banks full of additional profits...

too many (fat)chiefs and not enough braves share in the $$

greed, corporate BTO and govt that bows to it.

• Like 2

i guarantee there are 10 bazillion yogurt products that more than make up for the consumption of straight milk - in the past 10 to 15 yrs i bet you its quadrupled for yogurt - heck they even have it in tubes u squeeze into your mouth like a flavor ice stick. 

there were about 5 different kinds of cheese when i was a kid now theres umpteen, yes umpteen is an official number that is higher than 5..............everyone loves their cheese n crackers and fancy pants like their special cheeses so i call BS on not enough milk being drank. 

• Like 8

My usual comments to these threads:

1. "Milk promotion" consists of telling THE FARMERS to drink more milk, eat more cheese, butter, and ice cream. You can't sell your raw material at wholesale and buy back your finished product at retail and expect to make money, yet farmers have been falling for this sham for decades.

2. Overproduction is the root cause of all the issues. If we had 1975 cows there would be a milk shortage, but we have these cows that are bred to milk like crazy and burn out after 2-3 years, so now we have too much milk and too much beef. The answer has always been "make it up on volume." Well it isn't working anymore. Farmers need to take a lesson from OPEC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

2. Overproduction is the root cause of all the issues. If we had 1975 cows there would be a milk shortage, but we have these cows that are bred to milk like crazy and burn out after 2-3 years, so now we have too much milk and too much beef. The answer has always been "make it up on volume." Well it isn't working anymore. Farmers need to take a lesson from OPEC.

Add to that the stupid sexed semen.........

• Like 1

The way I see it volume has taken the place of efficiency when it comes to profitability in most peoples minds. Just because you're milking 1000 cows doesn't mean you automatically become profitable, people need to go back to focusing on efficiency and once they have that down, then focus on expansion. Just my 2 cents

6 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Heard on business report DFA was going to buy them. My best friend was in maintenance at a Deans plant for 29 years when that plant got shut down. Got. A small severance and his pension is going to be a whopping $100 a month.

My question is if DFA buys Dean will they aquire the bottleing label for Land O Lakes? As far as I know LOL sold the label ( for bottled milk ) to Dean as part of a deal when they sold a plant to Dean. This would illuminate some of the stupidity accomplished by the co-op 

We have around a gallon or two per day of milk straight from the tank (high test )

38 minutes ago, bitty said:

We have around a gallon or two per day of milk straight from the tank (high test )

Grew up on straight out of the tank. 4-5 gallons a week for 3-4 of us living at home. Older siblings had moved out already. My aunt and uncle were dairy until he sold out to his brother and nephew. 

9 hours ago, ThirdGenRed said:

The article I read said that Walmart dropped Land O' Lakes milk products when Walmart's dairies came on line and also people were drinking more "plant based milks", like almond milk. I remember paying the dairy checkoff when we were milking, and it was supposed to promote milk and milk products, but I was told checkoff dollars have been used to promote almond milk and other "fake" milks. I wonder if those "plant based" milk producers have to pay into the checkoff?

I've been wondering about this in the beef world too.  Im a member of Farm Bureau.  Its been a hot topic of discussion.  Lots of the ag groups are trying to differentiate, but to scared to call it "fake"....don't want to offend.?

There's some truth to overproduction.  With that being said, with more population/urban sprawl there's less resources to feed more people.  A happy medium wouldn't hurt....Ill agree to that!

Just a few musings, having been part of the dairy business more or less my whole life.  It may be that Wells Blue Bunny had pretty good foresight when they sold the fluid milk bottling portion of their business to Dean Foods some years ago . . . also worth noting that the value of raw milk is little influenced by fluid milk retail sales, that is a relatively small fraction of total milk production usage.  Cheese is the big market driver.  

Old joke about dairy farm business philosophy: if prices are good . . . milk more cows.  Bad prices?  Milk more cows.

grew up on RAW milk from either the neighbors holsteins or my aunt/uncles brown swiss or gurnsey cows - separated the cream off for cereal drank the rest 

holsteins didnt have as much cream iirc 

its a wonder im even alive ? non homogonized, non pasteurized, non clean, all we did was wipe the teats with soap/water at my aunt uncles then strain the milk thru cheesecloth and stick it in the fridge - neighbors that milked had automatic milkers and big tank/chiller we dipped out of 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, ThirdGenRed said:

I would like to know for certain if dairy checkoff monies were in fact used for non dairy promotion. It seems to me that would be a misuse of funds opening up the possibility of a class action lawsuit.

• Like 1