pt756

tractor hours mixer tractors

was reading the winter oil thread, bitty I am amazed at the amount of hours some guys will be able to put on in a year, we get the dairy star newspaper and the farmer responded about his best purchases he made, his comment was his agco tractor, he has 40k hours on it mixing feed, I remember a few years ago someone responded on here that they had a 7210 with over 50k  hours on and finally had to replace the head gasket, we have 12k hours on our 1066, mostly cutting hay and during winter 2350 loader, guess I have a long ways to go to catch up

• Haha 1

hope the 7410 NEVER needs it  or ANY work on the dumb %^$^$  computer trans,have had emergency needs, stop or run from, where I "clutched" thru 12-19 gears and it has not caught up yet

when we feed a mear 10K a day (200h) was about 30H /wk on mixer,basically a stationary engine at fixed load/speed that walked about 1 m /day  .... labor was 3.5 -5x  and ancillary (6) equip was about the same hrs    plant grow harvest store move move feed remove reapply etc.was alot of equip and man time.

the 2xxx equip clocks easily passed  <'95 equip

also too many young calves (blind spots)not in pens then

I had to go to the farm (problem with the mixing tractor) today so I looked at the hours.  The clock is turned it has 22,203 hours on it now . We bought the tractor with 9800 (I think) hours or so. The fuel filters here you can see when they were changed last and the hours then compared to the hours now and figure approximate usage time. Although I know last January or February we had the transmission apart to fix a twisted output shaft in the speed trans. So you can see in May of 18 at 16, 397 hours

IMG_20191110_134844316_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

You guys with high hour tractors are my idiol.  The 3394 gets about 150 hours a year each doing tillage, the 5088 slightly more planting and spraying.  Hope to have over 10K on both. Makes farming cheap then. I prolly should roll bearings into the 3394. Everyone says at 7500 it should be done. I'm at 7520.....

so a person could buy a 10k hour boxcar and at our blazing 150 to 200 hours a year be in ok shape my age will be at 63 in jan. doubt I will put a 1000 hours on any tractor for what I have left to do. unwilling to expand and follow sonny's perdue advice of either get big or get out guess I will hang on for awhile yet, and one other question we do need another cabtractor, someone made mention of a mx 230 as a good replacement for a boxcar magnum, looked on tractor data and it looks like they have the cummins motor and 18 speed transmission? how do they get the extra road speed?

• Like 1

PT..my 7140 has 19000 something, we got with 10k in January '12 iirc.  About 2100hd per year I suppose, 5_6hr per day 365 days.  Plus some odd job and tillage work in spring.

The 8930 only has 11000.   The 186 has 17700 2 owner hrs.  Most on mixer...100% OEM engine (on 15w/40 😎  ) 1 hydro rebuild but it needs a 2nd now to be really useful.

A fellow on a IH page on FB posted a 7130 on his dairy in California with a 1 owner promised 90k hours on it.  Yes 90k....  said 3 trans, 2 engines,(iirc) and forgot how many tires.  The post was he got new "street tires" for it since it was a mixer tractor its entire life and now was back up mixer and feed mover tractor now.  Looked pretty good considering the hrs.  Said sure it has parts wear but the labor just could not destroy it.  And everything could be repaired in the farm shop pretty much.  Andddd 0 computer/ emission issues ever.  Just always showed up for work so couldnt bear to put her down.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pt756 said:

so a person could buy a 10k hour boxcar and at our blazing 150 to 200 hours a year be in ok shape my age will be at 63 in jan. doubt I will put a 1000 hours on any tractor for what I have left to do. unwilling to expand and follow sonny's perdue advice of either get big or get out guess I will hang on for awhile yet, and one other question we do need another cabtractor, someone made mention of a mx 230 as a good replacement for a boxcar magnum, looked on tractor data and it looks like they have the cummins motor and 18 speed transmission? how do they get the extra road speed?

I can't say enough good things about a boxcar Magnum. We have 6 averaging much over 10k

Off the top of my head

the 7140 has 22,203

8950 is above 17,000

7250 over 13k

7240 12,5+

A pair of 7250 pros at around 16k and 13k 

I might be off a little on some . I should check them all out of curiosity

• Like 3

well I was pondering as I was unloading last load of corn silage, unless you are able to buy new or really low houred tractors a person might just as well fix what he has, motors, torques, unless you really have a problem with the tractor I probably will keep them going, we have had the 1066 for over 30 years now, I don't see why it wont go for awhile yet, replacements are so high expensive and the newer ones with the electronics and computers are expensive are expensive to repair, unless there is a need for the electronics .

• Like 1

Keep up with the oil changes and the coolant changes is the approach to adopt ,less cost ,more up time .

• Like 1

we usually change the water filters at 100 hours along with the engine oil, and will drain the anti freeze every couple of years, we use the john deere premix, dealer is close,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bitty said:

I had to go to the farm (problem with the mixing tractor) today so I looked at the hours.  The clock is turned it has 20220 hours on it now . We bought the tractor with 9800 (I think) hours or so. The fuel filters here you can see when they were changed last and the hours then compared to the hours now and figure approximate usage time. Although I know last January or February we had the transmission apart to fix a twisted output shaft in the speed trans. So you can see in May of 18 at 16, 397 hours

IMG_20191110_134844316_HDR.jpg

How in the H$&L do you put that many hours on one fuel filter? You’d have to be triple filtering to 2 micron at the tank and treating for water and allgy.   Dear Lord change it at least once a year. 😳

• Haha 1

(That's what I was thinking, but thought I maybe misunderstood) we change filters yearly, 100-150hr,  and i usually dump them out/drain them looking to see signs of dis colored fuel, but it always looks pefect. Should go 2 years. 

• Like 1

It just seems like the equipment that gets run every day you can just pile up the hours as long as you keep up on the maintenance. It's the seasonal ones that nickel and dime a person. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

(That's what I was thinking, but thought I maybe misunderstood) we change filters yearly, 100-150hr,  and i usually dump them out/drain them looking to see signs of dis colored fuel, but it always looks pefect. Should go 2 years. 

150hr is kinda over doing.  BuT!!  Nothing wrong with it either.  I believe Bitty is saying "crap, i flaked and no duh it isnt running good". 

We would run that many hrs I think. Never have...maybe 1200 on something i flat flaked on.  Loader was 1200 other day I noticed when doing oil.  Whoops...them queer sq JD ones...I dont keep one on shelf so out of sight out of mind. 

Never have ever had a fuel issue to the best of my knowledge.  But ....our dealer for 30 years had always put a 3/8" inline before the factory ones.  And I have filter on pumps.  That being said I change fuels at apx500 hrs or 2 oil changes.  A/F at 750 to 1000 depending on unit and use.  Them dang things are getting stupid costly aint they!?  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

It just seems like the equipment that gets run every day you can just pile up the hours as long as you keep up on the maintenance. It's the seasonal ones that nickel and dime a person. 

Yup, nothing harder on equipment than sitting for extended periods. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pt756 said:

We have never worried about the fuel filters on an hourly basis. The inline pre filter usually gets changed once or more before the screw on ones do. The oils need to be changed I am sure . I think 1,000 hours is ok on an engine oil change interval. When it comes to antifreeze we never change the fluid unless the radiator has a leak. Keep in mind that we have been using Fleetgaurd complete ESEG coolant for the last 20-25+ years and have never had any engine cavitate a liner. We will change the antifreeze if we have to drain for repairs for another reason.. some will think I am crazy if they saw a picture of the oil filter dates and hours as they are often well overdue.. Our 75 XT skidloader we bought new had 25,000 hours when it threw a rod because it was ran low on engine oil as the pressure sensor developed a leak and it had as many as 1,200 hours per change during it's lifetime. Not to start an oil thread but I use cnh bulk engine and hytran. I won't use cheap oil. I am not sure it would save me any money or not. Guy out the road sells CenPeCo oil was just by and thought he would save me some money. I asked him what his costs and his oil and hytran are both more expensive than the bulk oils I get as a delivered price

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bitty said:

We have never worried about the fuel filters on an hourly basis. The inline pre filter usually gets changed once or more before the screw on ones do. The oils need to be changed I am sure . I think 1,000 hours is ok on an engine oil change interval. When it comes to antifreeze we never change the fluid unless the radiator has a leak. Keep in mind that we have been using Fleetgaurd complete ESEG coolant for the last 20-25+ years and have never had any engine cavitate a liner. We will change the antifreeze if we have to drain for repairs for another reason.. some will think I am crazy if they saw a picture of the oil filter dates and hours as they are often well overdue.. Our 75 XT skidloader we bought new had 25,000 hours when it threw a rod because it was ran low on engine oil as the pressure sensor developed a leak and it had as many as 1,200 hours per change during it's lifetime. Not to start an oil thread but I use cnh bulk engine and hytran. I won't use cheap oil. I am not sure it would save me any money or not. Guy out the road sells CenPeCo oil was just by and thought he would save me some money. I asked him what his costs and his oil and hytran are both more expensive than the bulk oils I get as a delivered price

For what it’s worth, I agree with you. But at the end of the day it’s all different strokes for different folks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkG said:

How in the H$&L do you put that many hours on one fuel filter? You’d have to be triple filtering to 2 micron at the tank and treating for water and allgy.   Dear Lord change it at least once a year. 😳

Fuel is all treated when delivered in our tanks. Algae will be a problem no more what if you have algae but I think it would be less of an issue the faster you go through the fuel as less time for the algae to grow. We have never had it in our bulk tanks but a few things have had algae issues here. One was a tractor that was worked on at the dealership and the tank they drained the fuel into had a problem

Sorry Bitty, didn’t mean to pick on you. If 4000 hrs on the fuel filter and 1000 on the oil work for you, great. It just makes me a little nervous. 

9 hours ago, stronger800 said:

I put next to no hours on anything here these days, still change them once a year to eliminate any aggrivation................Back in the day when we were putting 700 hrs a year on certain ones, I did 200 hr oil changes and changed fuel filters at every other oil change.  Changed air filters/cab filters once a year as well, blowing them out a few times inbetween.  

I knew guys who would wait to change fuel filters until the tractor had 23% of the power it should have had, I didn't see the point, but they didn't value their time like I do.  To me its easier to change them in the shop than at the silo while blowing feed in the dust and dirt. The same guys usually thought the air filters had a lifetime use sticker on them. If I tried that things would go south quick.

I seen a lot of the 06 and 56 series with 10,000 hours on them, still showing the cross hatch in the cylinders.

If blew a piston, would push in a new cylinder set and away they went again.

10,000 hours was barely broke in.

Good maintenance was the key.

I wonder what the record is for verified hours on an IH tractor?

Fuel filter change interval is highly subjective.  There is a recommended interval for every application no doubt, but that might be way more frequent than necessary, or it might not be frequent enough.  It all depends on the contaminant load in the fuel.  I have a fuel pressure gauge on my Dodge Cummins pickup and that is what I go by to determine when the fuel filter needs to be changed.  As long as the pressure is normal, the filter is fine.  When pressure starts to drop off more than normal during WOT, time for new filter.  It is very interesting that the time between filter changes is anything but consistent.  

• Like 1

I change fuel filters when I notice a loss of power. I bought my 7250 in 09 with 9200 hrs sold it to my next door neighbor in September with about 13000 hrs. He borrowed it to pull his 3 row chopper with kernel processor. I had used it about 10 hrs in the last year since I bought my 275 & he asked if I would sell it to him as it choppped faster than his MX200. It left the farm with the same fuel filters on it as when it came in 09, couple weeks ago I returned the filter kit to my CIH dealer for a credit

I have a question for you dairy guys.

Why do you use tractor ran mixers instead of mounting them on a truck like cattle guys do in the big feedlots out west? We had a neighbor with a mixer mounted on a truck when they were feeding cattle. You don't see any dairy guys doing this.

Next township to the east has a big dairy in it and they bought a chunk of land a few years ago and built a setup to raise their replacement heifers. All the feed storage is at the main farm so many times a day they are running a tractor and mixer down the road 4 and a half miles one way. A truck would be faster and less wear on the tractor tires. Truck tires are cheaper than a set of tractors.

39 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

I have a question for you dairy guys.

Why do you use tractor ran mixers instead of mounting them on a truck like cattle guys do in the big feedlots out west? We had a neighbor with a mixer mounted on a truck when they were feeding cattle. You don't see any dairy guys doing this.

Next township to the east has a big dairy in it and they bought a chunk of land a few years ago and built a setup to raise their replacement heifers. All the feed storage is at the main farm so many times a day they are running a tractor and mixer down the road 4 and a half miles one way. A truck would be faster and less wear on the tractor tires. Truck tires are cheaper than a set of tractors.

Lots of feed trucks near here.  Usually the mixer wears out before the truck.