Sign in to follow this  
vtfireman85

Winter Diesel engine oil weight

It's a 6.5. Pretty sure it's supposed to clatter.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Finney said:

My truck will start at 10* not being plugged up but I keep it plugged up at 45* and below. On a job in eastern KY in the early 2000's weather averaged 10* for 2 weeks. Truck was never shut off. Used a stick between the dash and throttle petal to keep it at 11-1200rpms. Many times when working in the 30* temperature I would run a cord from the welder to the truck after lunch so I would have a heater quicker.

What a difference location makes. I don't even consider plugging a vehicle in tractor or otherwise until its below 20 outside. Even then most times I don't actually plug anything in until its 10 or under. 6.2s and 6.5s included.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, exSW said:

It's a 6.5. Pretty sure it's supposed to clatter.

Clack,clack, clack 

In 07 I was on a pipeline job in Prudhoe, we had the last of the old style GM trucks, 6.5 diesels in all of them, they had been on pipeline jobs the last 10 years.  If I had to guess I would say we had 200 trucks on the job.  We never shut them off, changed the oil every 10 days (about 250 hours), ran from the end of January until mid March. Park outside the camp and leave her running.  The trucks had a high idle set up keeping them running a bit over 1100 rpm when parked. They all clacked and banged for months. We lost more than a few over the winter.

A year or so after the job they auctioned them off and people bid them up like they were great trucks, we still see people driving some of them,  the 6.5 will run fine in the winter, it just sounds like a hot mess getting started, until.....lol

7 hours ago, AKwelder said:

In 07 I was on a pipeline job in Prudhoe, we had the last of the old style GM trucks, 6.5 diesels in all of them, they had been on pipeline jobs the last 10 years.  If I had to guess I would say we had 200 trucks on the job.  We never shut them off, changed the oil every 10 days (about 250 hours), ran from the end of January until mid March. Park outside the camp and leave her running.  The trucks had a high idle set up keeping them running a bit over 1100 rpm when parked. They all clacked and banged for months. We lost more than a few over the winter.

A year or so after the job they auctioned them off and people bid them up like they were great trucks, we still see people driving some of them,  the 6.5 will run fine in the winter, it just sounds like a hot mess getting started, until.....lol

That’s what I’m worried about, I’m low mileage though, but who knows what’s happened for most of them

image.jpg

I've run straight 30 in my 2090 here in our severe winters but I won't even think of starting it below freezing without plugging in the block heater. if it is really cold I'll put the space heater on the oil pan for a while to thin out the oil. If I was going to use it a lot in winter I'd change over to straight #10 diesel oil as I"ve done several winters before. It complains, misses and smokes like crazy on a cold start without pre-heating but a few hours on the block heater it starts up smoother than summer even at -20F. The old Super 90 Massey gets along fine on 10w-30 year round. For winter, half an hour on the block heater (1500 watt) and it starts on the second turn of the starter and runs smooth as summer. But don't even bother trying without pre-heating if its 20F or less. Different engines, different behaviour in the cold. 

The 6.5's that live seem to live forever. I've seen a bunch over 200k

2 hours ago, exSW said:

The 6.5's that live seem to live forever. I've seen a bunch over 200k

Dads was almost 300000 miles when the block cracked. Not the motors fault either

15w40 year round in every diesel here except my duramax and skid steer. Block heater and pan heater below freezing and everything starts like summer time 

• Like 1

Most everything clatters below zero.

I ran 15/40 in my 6.2 for years. 250,000 on the engine before a skirt broke off a piston.

The oil was the least of a diesel's problems.

Jelling and the lack of #1 fuel is the biggest.

As long as it will spin fast enough to start, not a problem.

• Like 1