Sign in to follow this  
WishIhada1466

How's this for service, this one is positive.

I got a call Tuesday evening on the way home from working on a 1480 all day seeing if I wanted to work on a differential in a grain truck Wednesday morning. Rear rear in one of local brothers  grain truck lost a pinion bearing. I was out there first thing the next morning. We got the 500 bushels of beans off it and I went to work on it. I got it all apart by noon. Came home and started the parts searching process. Truck is a 96 IH 4900 that was a single axle Pepsi truck converted to a tandem grain truck. Tandems were built in 1974. None of the IH truck dealers around were any help at all. Finally got a number later in the day for Weller Truck Parts in St. Louis. I give the guy the part #'s I had and he said we can get you a reman 3rd member in 3 days. I called the owners and they said go with it. By then it was to late in the day to order it so I waited until morning. Thursday morning I ordered it and a few other parts and expected it to be Monday or Tuesday before I got it. They called me Friday morning that the diff was done and was waiting in St Louis(rebuilders are in Michigan). They get a truck from Michigan every night. I went and picked it up yesterday afternoon as the owners of the truck were busy cutting beans. I got it installed this morning and before I could get my tools all picked up they took off in it. They switched to corn today and needed it especially since they hit a tree with the auger out on the grain cart this morning and boogered it up. That's my Tuesday project when parts come in. 

Moral of the story is Weller Truck Parts treated me great and was able to get old IH truck parts in short order. I would definitely recommend them for driveline parts. So there are still places with good service. I wish I could get parts from Kubota or Case IH that fast. 

This was the first big truck differential I've ever pulled and it went pretty smooth. I had a little help to get it out but I was all alone this morning going back together.  I had to weld up a crack in the axle housing as well this morning. 

20191106_090647.thumb.jpg.ac8c2a14f315f5c07eb0da6195d9b097.jpg

20191106_103852.thumb.jpg.1ddf90aea50b6e204a4be6ecfb3b559b.jpg

20191106_103836.thumb.jpg.3225bf862c7328465a01ca03f690682f.jpg

Angle of the pinion shaft makes it obvious how bad it was. Messed up the ring gear and the housing. Pinion bearing was out awhile.

20191109_091943.thumb.jpg.8b339a56f835a874b6cdf7f133f1228d.jpg

About ready to swing the 3rd member on to the frame rails of the truck. I used a come along to lower it into place rather than the tractor since I was alone. Dont worry the bed was blocked up the whole time I was working under it. 

• Like 9

Nice to here a positive for once !

On those rears it’s just easier to replace the 3rd member. No more than they cost by the time you part it out and fix it will be more expensive and probably take longer than just replace the whole thing. 

47 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

On those rears it’s just easier to replace the 3rd member. No more than they cost by the time you part it out and fix it will be more expensive and probably take longer than just replace the whole thing. 

That's what I thought after I got it out. It had enough damage that individual parts were going to be more than just swapping and it was quicker this way. 

Nice to hear! I'll keep them in mind as I've got some hard to find stuff. Like you said, the local Navistar joint doesn't know anything about the IH products, or very little.

There is a Navistar dealer in NE Minnesota that's been in business for over 80 years. One store, same family the whole time. They work for their customers, I used to live there and had trucks. Did business with them. Don't see many dealers like that any more.

DWF