Sign in to follow this  
Rusty shackleford

Good luck deer hunting, post pics

Rain, Rain, and more rain. Everything is soaked....  Temps in the mid 30’s isn’t bad until you add the wind and rain to it. Saw two deer at distance and the turkeys love the rain as usual. Cut the hunt off short. Going to try and dry everything out for going out this afternoon.  Have a funeral visitation to attend in the mean time...

It isn't raining here at the moment, Todd. Our weather usually heads your way, so maybe it will quit soon!!

• Like 2

took him thru some cedars, wasnt quite as big as i thot - donating meat - will euro mount 

deer2019.jpg

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

took him thru some cedars, wasnt quite as big as i thot - donating meat - will euro mount 

deer2019.jpg

Not bad at all. Very cool brow tines. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

Not bad at all. Very cool brow tines. 

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

deer2019.jpg

Definitely neat characteristics on a nice buck

• Like 1

We just set up a new ground blind in the woods. We had logs stacked up like a cabin before but they were rotted out so I used some odd thinking and cut two junk 620-42 tires leaving only one sidewall for the seat portion. We will screw the top to the bottom yet 

IMG_20191123_115642968.jpg

IMG_20191123_115653255.jpg

• Like 4

Bitty,

What do you cut the tires with??

2 hours ago, Finney said:

Bitty,

What do you cut the tires with??

Sawzall with a 3tpi blade . This is what happens when you push them too hard. They last ok if you cut at a moderate pace . We cut all our tractor trailer sidewalls out with these blades . Doesn't matter if it's a bias or radial . Bias do cut easier except for if it's at a really thick spot .

I should add that we use a utility blade for cutting the car tires 

IMG_20191123_191746373.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bitty said:

Definitely neat characteristics on a nice buck

thanks guys, blessed for sure regardless of the antlers, daughter got a buck during youth season, wife passed up everything she saw and is waiting for a wall hanger, this one i was by myself, taught two of my nephews how to field dress using my buck today before i donated him so trying to pass the torch - probably go with my nephews in the morning just to make some memories - I hope you are all blessed even more than me!!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bitty said:

We just set up a new ground blind in the woods. We had logs stacked up like a cabin before but they were rotted out so I used some odd thinking and cut two junk 620-42 tires leaving only one sidewall for the seat portion. We will screw the top to the bottom yet 

IMG_20191123_115642968.jpg

love it!!! great wind break too- will be easy to camp into the environment with some of those old logs or brush too 

• Thanks 1

Alot of really nice bucks here , that last one would be massive for this area, 

We are moving an 8' stand and putting a 16' in it's place. We slid 2' pipe on the bale spears to use like pallet forks on the 230 . The 8' one is going to the top of the mountain and the 16' one will help see further in the old pasture ground that seems to be a decent place in most years

IMG_20191123_154729900.jpg

IMG_20191123_154724191_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bitty said:

We are moving an 8' stand and putting a 16' in it's place. We slid 2' pipe on the bale spears to use like pallet forks on the 230 . The 8' one is going to the top of the mountain and the 16' one will help see further in the old pasture ground that seems to be a decent place in most years

IMG_20191123_154729900.jpg

IMG_20191123_154724191_HDR.jpg

oh wow, we had one of our gravity wagon blinds blow over last year and it destroyed it be sure to stake that thing down well

Dec 2nd starts shotgun here in my neck of the woods. Mom wants one for freezer so will take what I can. Stepson has never been out hunting so going to take him out and see what he can get.

3 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

oh wow, we had one of our gravity wagon blinds blow over last year and it destroyed it be sure to stake that thing down well

These are my brothers stands and he had them staked down but I don't think the stakes he used were enough to hold them..... I pulled the form stake out of the ground with my bare hands. I am thinking about taking a big sandstone rock to tie the cable to 

friend of the family got this one last yr1883544885_dougsbuck.thumb.jpg.b9c3ff2e5b8f21382a59bbe7a04552d3.jpg

my buddies son got this one last sat, wierd rack - this is his grandson holding it

this one was taken last year also, it was by a guy i know retired a couple yrs back, he got it with his bow obviously and it was after rifle season

a neighbor i grew up his uncle got this one here last week 

379919483_tylersbuck.thumb.jpg.1eccc42f24b98e6ba90756d4ad26c92a.jpg

this one was taken last year also, it was by a guy i know retired a couple yrs back, he got it with his bow obviously and it was after rifle season

1206776425_davesbuck.thumb.jpg.14f79b5659842279e513366113056a27.jpg

1635477579_tylersbuck2.jpg.5c4f46aba563b883fb1c3f63d0cb5c45.jpg2 o

2 of these were taken within a mile of where i took mine this morn

1 was taken about 3 miles away and the one the guy got with the bow was about 30 miles north of where i hunt 

• Like 6

My brother caught up with the one he was after at his place this afternoon. The drop tine was stuck in the ground. Rough scored gross 148-6/8”. I caped it out after dark. Saw several myself tonight but no shooters.

Tomorrow starts freezer filling and not head hunting for me. We eat a lot of deer because we like it. 

5566FDA5-1C09-49D6-9AAC-9DCD8BACBA80.jpeg

E6B6646C-C063-4638-87EE-92550C47C2C1.jpeg

• Like 6

Our gun deer season opened today. Didn't see anything but a couple tails this morning. Things changed at about 3pm though.

IMG_20191123_150924514.thumb.jpg.a4fc0cfcff64e263e911fc65cbccc835.jpg

IMG_20191123_163946719.thumb.jpg.a85a8555f219756e38cdca0b5376a12f.jpg

• Like 8

Last day here in Mn. Haven't seen a Buck but 23 does and this years Fawns. There is one old doe with a half a tail that I'm trying to get as she is well past her prime she would make good breakfast sausage ! In the last couple of days the deer have gone nocturnal and not moving during the day much. No hunters in my area to move em.

Just kicked up 3 doe outta the corn and then this one came running towards me and stopped so I snapped a pic. Saw the spike horn that was looking for these Doe on the edge of the other corn field. I've really only been seeing Doe and fawns here. 

20191124_133044.jpg

Only got one of the two stands up today. This one is 16' . After looking at the camera cards in the bottom of the pasture I think I will sit here all day Saturday for the opening day. Probably be nothing around but there was some daylight buck activity last week but it might be a coincidence as I kicked out a buck and doe while mowing right near the stand

IMG_20191124_155727627_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191124_170243287.jpg

IMG_20191124_170251850_TOP.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bitty said:

Only got one of the two stands up today. This one is 16' . After looking at the camera cards in the bottom of the pasture I think I will sit here all day Saturday for the opening day. Probably be nothing around but there was some daylight buck activity last week but it might be a coincidence as I kicked out a buck and doe while mowing right near the stand

Im guessing you take them down and put them up every season? How long does it take to put up?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, krich said:

Im guessing you take them down and put them up every season? How long does it take to put up?

No we leave them up but we wanted to see easier in the goldenrod here so wanted a taller one. We want the shorter one at the top of the hill so cover the top and look down the sidehill (about a 45° slope through the hemlock woods ) 

Quite a project to put one up this high and it's way too muddy to get near with the crane truck

First season is over here. Saw a really nice deer this morning at 6-700yds. I was able to cover almost 500 using a small patch of woods for cover. About the time I crept around the corner of the woods 4 does busted out taking the good one and other does with them.  Which were probably 150yds past where I was over a small rise.  Plans ruined by women....😊

I figured I knew where they went so I set up over there this afternoon. Wind was perfect. Saw lots of does and 4 different bucks come out but never the big one. Saw him in the distance as I walked back to the truck. He had moved another 1/2 mile past where I thought he stopped. We both made it through first season tired so I’ll call it a draw.  Maybe I can get a bit closer when second season roles around in two weeks. 

• Sad 2

Today's opener rifle season deer in PA my oldest boy got a 5 point15 minutes after legal time. Then a half hour after that I shot one that I thought was the one I was after when I saw his brow tines 250 yards away I thought it was the one I was looking for

• Like 1