Sign in to follow this  
Rusty shackleford

Good luck deer hunting, post pics

There is mine......having tag soup tonight.

Rick

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

On 11/16/2019 at 5:16 PM, exSW said:

Don't know if I'd do that. Altitude is hard on critters that aren't used to it.

We hauled horses out to the Bighorns last summer. Camped at 9000' and rode up to 10600 or so. We took it easy on them the first day but they adjusted well and were generally full of piss and vinegar the whole time. The lack of humidity and cooler temperatures than Missouri probably offset the altitude. 

I saw the one I was hoping to see during archery today mowing oats .... He was with a doe. Third time I have seen him since the start of archery (that ended last Saturday)  . All three times were from farm equipment. Twice from the chopper and now the mower 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bitty said:

I saw the one I was hoping to see during archery today mowing oats .... He was with a doe. Third time I have seen him since the start of archery (that ended last Saturday)  . All three times were from farm equipment. Twice from the chopper and now the mower 

A buck like that makes the news paper around here, wow

I've seen plenty but not the right one yet ! There is a old doe with a half tail around, she is past her prime so I'm waiting. a few more days left to the season. I've seen many Grouse and a Weasel last evening.

12 minutes ago, augercreek said:

I've seen plenty but not the right one yet ! There is a old doe with a half tail around, she is past her prime so I'm waiting. a few more days left to the season. I've seen many Grouse and a Weasel last evening.

Weasel is an odd sight. That’s cool. 

• Thanks 1

I'll be happy when it's over. Every redneck idiot around is stomping through the woods, shooting at everything that moves right now. Everyone around me is kill happy, disrespectful of property owners, and they're terrible sportsmen. I just heard three shots (obviously missed) that might as well have been in my backyard, before sunrise. Other people are the reason I don't deer hunt -even on my own property! I turkey hunt because the morons in my neighborhood (and the surburbanites from nearby) don't turkey hunt.

• Like 1

Our gun season doesn’t even start until Friday (22nd). Saw 4 bucks with one doe yesterday from the house. One was a shooter. They were 1/2 mile out. I’m ready to spend a little time in the woods. 

12 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

A buck like that makes the news paper around here, wow

I think it would only score around 110" . He is all mass no points. Older buck if I am correct on having his sheds from 2015 found in spring of '16 . Lower pair of these

IMG_20180903_211015626.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bitty said:

I think it would only score around 110" . He is all mass no points. Older buck if I am correct on having his sheds from 2015 found in spring of '16 . Lower pair of these

IMG_20180903_211015626.jpg

The buckni shot this year was the biggest buck shot in that area since I started hunting there 16 years ago, dont know yet what it scored, I forgot to check and is at the taxidermy now20191109_171855.thumb.jpg.16233cfeca4a49ac29943a0204e07fbc.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, KWRB said:

I'll be happy when it's over. Every redneck idiot around is stomping through the woods, shooting at everything that moves right now. Everyone around me is kill happy, disrespectful of property owners, and they're terrible sportsmen. I just heard three shots (obviously missed) that might as well have been in my backyard, before sunrise. Other people are the reason I don't deer hunt -even on my own property! I turkey hunt because the morons in my neighborhood (and the surburbanites from nearby) don't turkey hunt.

I don't know who's worse hunters or the game wardens .I got a pretty good bunch of hunters now. But they know I see one Warden the signs go up. It's like the old timers and kids . Don't try to sort it out just spank 'em all.

• Haha 1

First pic is brothers big buck. Second is my son’s not as many points but son’s is a pound heavier. LOL. Then last two days my oldest seemed to have the eye and bagged these 2 not monsters but big eaten. Last pic is for my wife as she says we’re never together for a family pic. She just needs to come with. LOL

John

A056589E-D779-4EEC-AA3A-C4C6E8497154.jpeg

420DC26B-D0AF-467E-9A93-F62053C48D62.jpeg

E8B5BD9B-1C97-453C-B0F1-7EF1410D9BC8.jpeg

961DA8D4-3D9B-49E1-9E26-3757380F2B0A.jpeg

• Like 5

This one got shot with a bow this morning. Neighbor kid.... Had been watching him for 3 years at least. Have both sheds from 2017 and one side from 2018. Bummer

557CC0AB-F178-48B8-8D21-2F7D7702B194.jpeg

• Like 3

What happened with me is one of my 12 year old grand daughters wanted to hunt this year. She just got her hunter safety. So at her age and adult had to be with her. Dad drives OTR. So it fell to me. About 7 AM opening day we saw a nice doe in heavy brush. Not chance for a good shot. About 7:30 a small buck walked out, 10 yards. Grand daughter took forever getting on it. When she finally fired she missed. Kinda my fault. I didn't have the time or weather to get her shooting more. After all, wanna be like me? Remember, practice makes perfect!🤣!! Anyway Sunday afternoon a deer ran by so fast that neither of us got a shot off. That's all we saw. Part of the problem is they started combining corn. Those deer know. That combine is a dinner bell. Anyway my grand daughter is all wound up about hunting next year. And in the end? That's what really matters. I passed up stuff so she might have a chance. Got another 12 year old grand daughter who isn't interested in deer hunting.......yet. But she loves duck meat. So she wants to hunt duck. Not an issue. I love duck hunting! Just gotta find her a youth 20 pump. Want a Remington 870 but we will see. Once I get her shooting at ducks and geese? I'll get her a slug barrel! 

Funny but my SIL was looking at getting the grand daughter a 243 in the pink camo.........she wants an AR15 in 300 blackout! This is a little girl with 2 cats, 2 dogs and a rabbit. Ready to shoot Bambi who also gets mad at me every time i suggest we cook and eat her pet rabbit.

I think I'll get my bow license and see if I can put a deer in the freezer yet. 

Rick....corrupting one little mind after another! 

• Like 2

Congrats on the nice deer and stories, love them all. Especially about getting the youth involved. The future of our passion!

Sadly this also goes hand in hand with deer season out here. We dodged the proverbial bullet and didn't have a grass fire opening weekend in our district. Have had enough over the years to want to close the area to idiots. However, coming north (about Stapleton) with a load of fuel Saturday night (opening day) I saw the sickening orange glow off to the northeast about 7pm. It was 30 miles away and there was no doubt. I called my chief and said to get two outfits ready in case we are mutual aided. South side of our Mutual Aide district and we are 120 miles away. It was on the north side of the Dismal river and east of hwy 83. Strong Northwest wind, bad bad bad. As I got closer started getting some mist on my windshield good good good. As I got closer, I started seeing grass rigs and 6x6's converging on the area. Long story short, the mist and quick response by the 4 surrounding towns kept the fire down to a respectable 600 acres. This is rough nasty ground and If It would have gotten into the river canyon it would have been a 3 day fire easy. Less than brilliant minded out of area hunters and catalytic converters do not mix well with tall grass. Job well done to the responding fire fighters!!!

1101790006_112019Halsey.jpg.6081a1ecac66be72b7767ccef382d969.jpg

• Sad 3

Hey Bitty................hear the deer up in your neck of the woods have some attitude😄

1089470206_deerflak.thumb.jpg.ff143449e8fe70c902c021534196bf0f.jpg

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Hey Bitty................hear the deer up in your neck of the woods have some attitude😄

1089470206_deerflak.thumb.jpg.ff143449e8fe70c902c021534196bf0f.jpg

Some years I wonder.. I missed a buck once on a slow push type of drive. My cousin got one shot off, I got 6 shots off and then my cousins boy got one shot off not all in that order. The deer dropped. We gutted it out and let the kid tag it. When butchering it my cousin found the bullet lodged in between the skin on the almost exit side. He took dial calipers and determined that it was a 308 not 7mm08 so we had even guessed right as to who actually shot it. 

I will say that at least I was consistent missing all 6 times at a deer trotting at 180 yards ...... although maybe it had a vest on ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It isn’t deer but you guys will still like it. Neighbor sent me this last night. We have to buy a chance in a lottery to get a bobcat hunting/trapping tag and it is good for 1 per year. I gave them my money this year and did not get drawn. They say there aren’t enough around.....I beg to differ.

15E5E24A-8D43-450E-9E34-DD48A0DFDC8E.jpeg

• Like 3

228416071_deerseason.jpg.9a3bb004e3af49eab407be90c9d97a37.jpg

• Haha 5

Troof

• Haha 1

Rain moved out sometime around 3-4am. Opening day of firearm deer season for me. Legal shooting light was 6:10. So far I’ve seen 4 bucks, 2 does, a yearling, and a few gray squirrels. Sitting in a fence row overlooking a cut corn field and a hay field. Corn was shelled about a week ago. Probably going to head hunt today and tomorrow and then fill the freezer.

a buddy is getting married at sunset tonight so I can’t hunt the evening. 

On 11/21/2019 at 6:48 AM, Sledgehammer said:

It isn’t deer but you guys will still like it. Neighbor sent me this last night. We have to buy a chance in a lottery to get a bobcat hunting/trapping tag and it is good for 1 per year. I gave them my money this year and did not get drawn. They say there aren’t enough around.....I beg to differ.

15E5E24A-8D43-450E-9E34-DD48A0DFDC8E.jpeg

Listen here junior, if your wantin' to date my daughter, we're gonna set some ground rules   😄

• Haha 3

Morning two. Raining. I’ve never gotten anything but wet hunting in the rain. It’s supposed to move out in the next 30-45 min by the looks of things. Yesterday morning was a really good morning. Saw 7 different bucks. 3 of them were decent but not quite what I’m looking for. Not all presented shots. Several does and turkeys came around also. This guy was one of them. He sure is a pretty deer, but, if you shoot the 130” deer you won’t ever see 150-160” deer. 

2F61B731-706E-4DAB-9832-53B19449DAC0.png

• Like 2