Sign in to follow this  
Rusty shackleford

Good luck deer hunting, post pics

11 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Cold snowy deer season. My oldest always liked to walk from home and hunt. Think he might have been a freshman in HS when he got this nice little whitetail about 3/4 mile upriver from the house. He didn't want to drag it home afoot and I didn't blame him. Old "Dunny" to the rescue😄

897982408_dunnyanddeer.jpg.9326cf65f07727529623ca77471e8cca.jpg

very cool, we used horses to get my elk out in montana - drug it like that not packed and wow what a neat experience 

• Like 3

My brother was to Colorado on an elk hunt with the hoof trimmer and they used horses to get to camp and drag the elk 

• Like 1

Well the grand daughter missed a small buck opening day about 7:30AM. First hunt and I think 2 things. She didn't get on the scope fast enough. My fault I should have had her out to shoot more. 2nd thing is I think she got over excited and just shot. I've seen a deer about 10 minutes before this one but it was in heavy brush (gotta cut shooting lanes for next year. Then Sunday we had one run past from out blind side (because of property lines wouldn't have gotta a shot anyway). Was in view less than 2 seconds. When it hit the heavy brush it stopped. All I could see of it was the tail and it was swishing it's tail back and forth. Was there a couple of minutes with no clean shot and then disappeared. Other than that haven't seen a thing. I really don't care about me getting a deer but I'd sure like to put my grand daughter onto one. Taking her back out as soon as she's home from school.

Rick

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bitty said:

22 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

My view for the last few hours today. It could happen today yet  but this is one I left for future years. I am fairly certain he is a 2 1/2 year old

IMG_20191115_153513650.jpg

IMG_20191115_151740175_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191115_151732378.jpg

IMG_20191115_153613621_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

Well the grand daughter missed a small buck opening day about 7:30AM. First hunt and I think 2 things. She didn't get on the scope fast enough. My fault I should have had her out to shoot more. 2nd thing is I think she got over excited and just shot. I've seen a deer about 10 minutes before this one but it was in heavy brush (gotta cut shooting lanes for next year. Then Sunday we had one run past from out blind side (because of property lines wouldn't have gotta a shot anyway). Was in view less than 2 seconds. When it hit the heavy brush it stopped. All I could see of it was the tail and it was swishing it's tail back and forth. Was there a couple of minutes with no clean shot and then disappeared. Other than that haven't seen a thing. I really don't care about me getting a deer but I'd sure like to put my grand daughter onto one. Taking her back out as soon as she's home from school.

Rick

go rick, hope she gets one too and shows us all up

One of the boys filled his doe tag here a few minutes ago . That's what happens when they set up where I tell them to .

Pretty sure she's the one I jumped Sunday .

• Like 1

While I was down moving my boy off the Mullen ranch, this guy showed up in his front yard. He said it was a "management buck". He's 4 and not showing the genetics they want to see so will probably shoot it Saturday. Cade said he watched it grow from a forky. He is in Casper now so will miss Nebraska deer season. I think he'll find deer in Wyoming 😁

IMG_20191112_152503885.thumb.jpg.34af9d0c17fd6d83c3ced59c631ca51a.jpg

IMG_20191112_152241847.thumb.jpg.b12bd2743e9537246d7b6ddf519cd48f.jpg

IMG_20191112_152500424.thumb.jpg.07327e18f397d07dd1de9f7de1096ab4.jpg

• Like 5

Wife sent me this. If anyone knows the whole story, please chime in. She thought it happened last week but not sure. 

Story says this buck "was poached by Doug Traversy last Wednesday or Thursday from Little Moreau State Park", SD. "Shot it, jumped the fence, cut it's head off and left the carcass". He posted pics all over social media and was found out by someone who had been watching the buck on trail cams. Would think he is in a world of sh!t for this but don't know. Is this a gag? Once again don't know.

IMG_3390.JPG.09ffd3a1aabd1d74762d1785833acfed.JPG

• Like 2

I've seen 9 so far but not any shooters and not a Buck in the bunch! Watched a few Grouse too!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Wife sent me this. If anyone knows the whole story, please chime in. She thought it happened last week but not sure. 

Story says this buck "was poached by Doug Traversy last Wednesday or Thursday from Little Moreau State Park", SD. "Shot it, jumped the fence, cut it's head off and left the carcass". He posted pics all over social media and was found out by someone who had been watching the buck on trail cams. Would think he is in a world of sh!t for this but don't know. Is this a gag? Once again don't know.

IMG_3390.JPG.09ffd3a1aabd1d74762d1785833acfed.JPG

I think that deer got a tree stuck on its head

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

SPLASH ONE!!! (quote from the movie Top Gun when they dropped an enemy plane in the drink)

Sitting here eating dinner today, I heard over the base radio someone called dispatch. Said they were following a pickup that shot a deer on the highway south of Valentine. Deputy said to have local pd stop them when they came into town and hold them till he got there. (he was caught)

Good on the Citizen and Bad on the POS who was shooting deer illegally. So damn sick and tired of people coming out here and trespassing and thinking they have the right to do whatever they please. I have made friends with a lot that come in and are respectable and appreciative and I enjoy when they get a nice buck. BUT, there are still many many more that I have to run off or chase after or see the remains of the deer that wasn't as big as he looked in the scope and left lay. 

Sorry for the rant, just wish the asshats would stay home or go where the really big deer are and leave us alone. 

Maybe the fine will be enough to at least keep one from coming back. And good for the person who called them in and followed them into town. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 11:27 AM, bitty said:

My brother was to Colorado on an elk hunt with the hoof trimmer and they used horses to get to camp and drag the elk 

Smart man ,hire a horse . If you Don’t you’ll wished you never shot it. Worth every penny ! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

Smart man ,hire a horse . If you Don’t you’ll wished you never shot it. Worth every penny ! 

Actually the hoof trimmer hauled the horses from PA to the hunt. They split up the costs associated with the hunt and have been going most years with various groups of guys 

12 minutes ago, bitty said:

Actually the hoof trimmer hauled the horses from PA to the hunt. They split up the costs associated with the hunt and have been going most years with various groups of guys 

Don't know if I'd do that. Altitude is hard on critters that aren't used to it.

On 11/15/2019 at 11:27 AM, bitty said:

40 minutes ago, exSW said:

You will need to adapt to the high altitudes,  I see outfitters on horse and pack horses and cowboys moving very slow cattle and horses . 
I think of it as being slo motion . 
if you hunt above 8000 feet for the first time get yourself prepared. 

56 minutes ago, exSW said:

Some of them might be mules. I will ask him. 

Saw this tonight from the stand 

• Thanks 1

Today is the last day. My son and his buddy both passed on doe saving their last tags for rifle. Sheeesh!

Here is one a guy from work (Indiana) shot last week with a bow.  It’s a legit photo. He Euro mounted it himself. 

73FE3ED9-F8AB-45FF-B2C4-862D043A01C0.png

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Here is one a guy from work (Indiana) shot last week with a bow.  It’s a legit photo. He Euro mounted it himself. 

73FE3ED9-F8AB-45FF-B2C4-862D043A01C0.png

What a monster ! The left side with all the extras is unreal and the right side isn't shabby either

• Like 3

.......all   these hunting   posts made me a bit restless.......the venison stocks in the freezer were very low.........so whistled up a couple of  good keen young bloke s........Went up on to the lease block....  saw four red deer, eating the regrowth of the winter feed  oats....... One of the young  blokes  fired his cannon...down it went....good clean shot. a nice young stag, very fat prior to his new season antler growth....and very good eating !!  

As the deer are fair game 365 days of the year....and being a young stag, it certainly did not warrant a picture.......

Any ground that I have under my stewardship........only male deer are fair game......I see no merit whatsoever tipping hinds over.......especially this time of year, when the fawn drop is in progress.......just my little "rule "........for friends and family alike.....

The young lad who shot the deer....naturally got quite a thrill........he used some modified 30 calibre firearm.......sounded like my old  264 Win   Mag sounding off...... I suggested when he realised how "over gunned "   it was...maybe we could get a few good drawbar  pins out of it.........it failed to amuse him...:angry:

I then discoursed at length  on the merits of the old , pre warning   , Ruger   77 in 250-3000 calibre, that I have had for many years.......with good shot placement...never let you down......

It fell  on deaf ears......sigh

Mike

• Like 3

Cody Am Legion puts on annual steak feed  night of opening day. Moved from small community Hall to much larger White Elephant Hall. Good move as they had a great turn out and people had room to stick around and visit. Fundraiser for the Post. I was gone in truck😥 🥩🍺🥩🍺🥩🍻

IMG_3396.JPG.c85daa85cf14d8cd6fd521dea5f78a4f.JPG

• Like 4

9 hours ago, bitty said:

What a monster ! The left side with all the extras is unreal and the right side isn't shabby either

I’ve seen deer with a second main beam on one side but never like that.  That is a once in a lifetime buck for sure. 

• Like 1

Went out this morning for a couple hours before heading back to do corn again and didn't see anything.  Found a blood spot on my property must be the neighbor shot at one yesterday morning. I tracked it for a bit then lost the trail. 

Getting ready for the last evening of slug, wish me luck, there is 1 big buck I know of amd wont shoot a buck unless it's that one ore equal size, lots and lots of 4 and 6 pointers, otherwise will get a doe for meat

• Like 3