Mountain Heritage

7100 & 7200 Series Magnum

10 hours ago, CDN 400 said:

Why bother? Our 7120 still has the original under the hood muffler. 

Agreed, if it doesn’t make much difference then it’s not worth it. Was only wondering about the heat under the hood. Figured if IH changed it, there was a big enough problem with heat at least in some jobs and areas of country. Totally agree if it’s not needing to be updated on a 7100 series then put money into other repairs or upgrades if needed. 
Notice some of the ads have jump or buddy seats in them. Not often, but some of them. Anyone have one in their tractor?  Do you like them or are the ya PIA?  I know for me in a way would be handy the odd time, the wife always says she’d like to come with me but no way she’s gonna bounce around in the space beside seat hanging off a fender 😖😱 I know father has one in his Maxxum and it’s actually not too bad for comfort, I was surprised.  Just didn’t know if this was an option IH offered or are guys using ones from other brands and bolting them in?

The hydraulic couplers on the earlier models, what was wrong with them?  Read some guys hate them - were they that frustrating to use?  They weren’t just regular Pioneer couplers just put into a protective housing?

What is with the ends of the muffler pipe/stack on some of there ones for sale that they are rotting out!  They are just eating away and there isn’t any of the curve of the pipe left?  I would hope it’s not from sitting outside in the elements?

The buddy seats were never offered factory until the MX series Magnums. Way newer than anything you'd look at. The ones you find in the 7100, 7200,and 8900 series Magnums are aftermarket jobs. In the U.S i know you can buy them through Shoup, and some other aftermarket places. If you want one, that's up to you to. The only thing I do know is that when you install it on the seat, you loose the ability to pivot the seat. The air ride seat at least have a ability to pivot to a limited range. No you're not going to spin it like a office chair but you do have some movement you would loose by installing one. Maybe in your usage you might not miss it, but on our farm we would. I especially use the pivot seat when im cutting hay, running pull type chopper and running grain cart when dumping.

Rotting out mufflers? Your area use lots of road salt? Those front tires can throw some winter slop with good tread on a FWA tractor tires and some speed, though i have to admit I've never seen that on anything ive seen before 

3 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

What is with the ends of the muffler pipe/stack on some of there ones for sale that they are rotting out!  They are just eating away and there isn’t any of the curve of the pipe left?  I would hope it’s not from sitting outside in the elements?

They aren't southern belle's are they?  That seems to be a key feature on all the ones for sale I get from down there.

26 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

They aren't southern belle's are they?  That seems to be a key feature on all the ones for sale I get from down there.

27 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:
4 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Well, for what it’s worth my MX150 has the inner tip of the exhaust rotting out too and it is a Euro tractor; doesn’t seem like it sat out in the weather constantly.  I wonder if there gets some acidic condensation from the exhaust up there.

I was trying to find pictures I was looking at to show ya’s. Of course can’t find it! 🤦‍♂️  Seen two or three with the tops all rotted out, might as well said it had a straight pipe without a flapper!  There was barely a curve left to them. Wondering if those were ones without a muffler maybe?  Certainly looked like crap!

Some of those are 30 years old, of course they are starting to rot away.

2 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Well, for what it’s worth my MX150 has the inner tip of the exhaust rotting out too and it is a Euro tractor; doesn’t seem like it sat out in the weather constantly.  I wonder if there gets some acidic condensation from the exhaust up there.

Found the one I seen This is one of the better rotten ones I seen  but just curious why they are rotting away?  Like jass said - they are old2B007F1F-3EC9-41CD-8F95-E3CB30D6B361.thumb.png.6ae1c49424845aab1ad53e2ccfcdc704.png

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Some of those are 30 years old, of course they are starting to rot away.

Guys(me included) seem to forget that fact...............probably because I remember when they were new.  

Do I dare ask what a new stack and muffler costs for these? 😱

1 hour ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Do I dare ask what a new stack and muffler costs for these? 😱

Muffler I around $1400 if I remember correctly. I want to make mufflers similar to the stock but out if 316 stainless. Seeing as we have 6 boxcars that use the same muffler I think I can make 8 or so for reasonable $ compared to buying them and then they might last 20-30 years or so and out last the useable life of the tractors

I don't believe that Thomure makes a muffler just an eliminator

Edited, added more thoughts

I threw three under the hood mufflers in the scrap pile years ago all with less than 300 hours on them.

Speaking on Magnums an exhaust systems. Once upon a time we had 7230 in shop with external muffler, customer wanted it checked / set up a tad. Checked regulated pressure got a fuel inlet pressure and boost gauges installed. Headed to the dyno, it was flat sick but had a rattle in exhaust system I could not find. blocked out waste gate (bad actuator bulb) inj pump could now go to full fuel....rattle worse but still could not find anything 200ish hp. Shut it down and checked everywhere, set it a bit and pulled her again.......rattle way worse this time, man we have to find this.... 240ish hp. Cooled it down and went over it with fine toothed comb still couldn't find a thing to create rattle, decided it was inside muffler so tweaked it a bit more (customers preference) started pulling it now around 260 hp when it spit a 3/4 X 6 bolt out the exhaust pipe, rattle went away. Told another employee in shop hey we found the rattle from exhaust system and pointed to innocent looking bolt laying on floor. He didn't believe me till he picked it up, didn't look at it long!

Still use bolt as paper weight in office.

• Haha 1

Sprayer boom fold knuckle broke. When it breaks extended boom (44 feet)  either goes back or forward. Has happened to me three times now. The last time going down a steep hill the other two it broke and was flopping around as I was slowing down to stop boom starts swinging forwards gaining momentum as it moves. Smack right into side of 7130 magnum cab the exhaust pipe takes the brunt of the force. After second time I got a piece of tube made a new upright about 2 months later the third time for the right side it smacked a small dent into new stack. The left side broke twice on the but it was low enough sprayer wheel took the hit 

Difference is what?  Cast vs steel?  Under hood muffler vs in stack or no muffler?  Good/bad/ugly??  Just general upgrades?

F5804341-C26B-4246-89DC-42B2A552AB84.png

390032EB-F3A8-46D0-AF9C-5167B8B9BEE8.png

33 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Difference is what?  Cast vs steel?  Under hood muffler vs in stack or no muffler?  Good/bad/ugly??  Just general upgrades?

F5804341-C26B-4246-89DC-42B2A552AB84.png

390032EB-F3A8-46D0-AF9C-5167B8B9BEE8.png

Top picture is external muffler. Bottom has under the hood muffler

Other than the black & red paint - aren’t these two designs the same?   Was it only in the 8900 series they changed the shape/style of the cab filters?  These ya the same filter as the 88 series don’t they?

0C61DB8B-879D-4898-ABB0-B38DFC76FE7B.png

A946B307-59AB-4539-83FA-6DD3D2A1F6A3.png

Difference between the hydraulic couplers?  What made so many people hate the ones on the 7100 series?  They look like the same as what is on the 88 series?  At least by the pictures?

CE3507CC-C871-4734-8528-A55E5E432868.png

828789C9-7404-41E7-A9C2-D505235A84F7.png

The early 71 series, 2 spd reverse had that cast bottom which is nla. When the 4 speeds came out they went to a regular exhaust tubing elbow and all of those had mufflers under the hood. Had an early and late 7140 along with a late 7120 at the same time and never had any trouble with the hydraulic couplers. I believe they all took the same cab filter.

38 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Difference between the hydraulic couplers?  What made so many people hate the ones on the 7100 series?  They look like the same as what is on the 88 series?  At least by the pictures?

CE3507CC-C871-4734-8528-A55E5E432868.png

828789C9-7404-41E7-A9C2-D505235A84F7.png

my 5088 has the ones stamped 210pm / lower picture - i thot they were a pitb until one of you all on here told me how to use them, they been fine since although my 80y/o dad has a very hard time inserting them he just doesnt have the strength anymore - internally mine are regular ole pioneers - or what i call pioneers, they work on my neighbors stuff, he runs old IH - 1066/886 stuff and implements - my buddies 2-105 and all their old implements and our old IH37 disk and rhino batwings etc..........all the same fittings 

What is with the exhaust, did they break it and have to brace it?

9C31ED52-CF6B-4311-974C-FE08E03CFDDD.png

Edited by Mountain Heritage
Forgot picture - duh!

42 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

What is with the exhaust, did they break it and have to brace it?

9C31ED52-CF6B-4311-974C-FE08E03CFDDD.png

The 71 series went to that style when the 4 spd reverse came out. That lower elbow is what we had rust out on ours a few times.