Mountain Heritage

7100 & 7200 Series Magnum

Ok.... so Ad says: Engine bearings replaced, has about 10000 hrs, rear axle seals replaced, 4wd, duals....

Then additional info: Nothing else has been done to engine
The transmission shifts well. I had The accumulators charged that dampen the shifting between clutch packs.
Yes it has 42 rubber on rear about 40% left. Front tires are done.
Hydraulics work well but tractor has small leak at rear of engine
Cab is a 5 out of 10
Headliner is sagging a bit
Fuel gauge and alternator gauge don’t work.

..... would you?

run, walk, scratch head,... 7120 hmmmmm

43 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Ok.... so Ad says: Engine bearings replaced, has about 10000 hrs, rear axle seals replaced, 4wd, duals....

Then additional info: Nothing else has been done to engine
The transmission shifts well. I had The accumulators charged that dampen the shifting between clutch packs.
Yes it has 42 rubber on rear about 40% left. Front tires are done.
Hydraulics work well but tractor has small leak at rear of engine
Cab is a 5 out of 10
Headliner is sagging a bit
Fuel gauge and alternator gauge don’t work.

..... would you?

run, walk, scratch head,... 7120 hmmmmm

And what is the price?  Can't do nothing but beat my head against the wall without it........

12 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

And what is the price?  Can't do nothing but beat my head against the wall without it........

Lol. $36,500 US OBO

Sorry

47 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Lol. $36,500 US OBO

Sorry

WOW, I would not just run, but find a motorcycle to get away from that!

That's almost 50K Canadian? I think there would be a lot better deals out there than that. 

I haven't ever driven an 88 series but I do have a few 86 series.  Early this year I bought a 7130 Magnum.   I have put a few dollars in it at this point, replaced the seat, and entire cab interior.  Upgraded to dual speed pto and a few other little odds and ends.  I haven't used it much but it is night and day different from running an 86 series.  

Cab is a lot easier to get in and out of.  

Transmission is a lot easier to use.

Steering is nearly effortless

Tractor seems to ride better

Fueling up is a lot easier.  

I love the cab corner exhaust, not that an 86 or 88 series is bad with just the exhaust pipe.

I do like how all the controls are on one side.  

Overall it's a much nicer tractor than my 86 series and will spoil you.  

7130.jpg

986, 1586, 7130.jpg

• Like 2

Should be able to get a ready to go Magnum in the upper 30's 

Won't be perfect but much nicer than that one sounds

4 hours ago, bitty said:

Should be able to get a ready to go Magnum in the upper 30's 

Won't be perfect but much nicer than that one sounds

in a 2wd yes but not in a 4wd/FWA at least not around here anyway - you would be looking for a 88 series which is hard t come by also just due to the number of them

00F0F_9JdBOYpDo4i_600x450.jpg

2900 hours $ 39,900 per craigslist and a planting tractor - doubtful those are true hours maybe 12900

12 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

WOW, I would not just run, but find a motorcycle to get away from that!

Ok, so forget about price for a moment...... The rear engine leak would likely be either a seal or that little bolt problem another member had on here that was a PIA to fix.  It needs tires, cab kit, pto upgrade to dual if didnt like 1000 only.  What other things could/should be done to engine?  Trying to grasp what kind of money you guys have found are usually needed in a situation like this to determine when a tractor is worth it.  Again, I know the asking price right off the bat will determine a lot too.  Are guys on average sinking 5-8,000 dollars into repairs to bring a slighty worn or neglected tractor back to working condition?  I understand some are so far gone that its not worth it to fix, they have just been beaten on that bad.  So in the above example, if was selling for lets say 15 or 20 thousand - is worth fixing giving what you know?  Or how much would it need to sell for in the above condition to make it worth while.  I know the price is high, I guess it comes down to if each individual thinks a tractor is worth asking prices.  After all, we don't often get to buy a tractor from a known owner, so its a pig in a poke.

5 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

00F0F_9JdBOYpDo4i_600x450.jpg

2900 hours $ 39,900 per craigslist and a planting tractor - doubtful those are true hours maybe 12900

Very much worth the asking price if things check out ok. Hours mean nothing to do with the value for the most part

6 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

in a 2wd yes but not in a 4wd/FWA at least not around here anyway - you would be looking for a 88 series which is hard t come by also just due to the number of them

What is two wheel drive?????

I am only referring to the MFD Magnums in my posting as 2 wheel is worth nothing to me. Funny how most of the 2 wheel drive ones are more expensive on tractor house than we paid for 7 of our Magnums average..

4 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Ok, so forget about price for a moment...... The rear engine leak would likely be either a seal or that little bolt problem another member had on here that was a PIA to fix.  It needs tires, cab kit, pto upgrade to dual if didnt like 1000 only.  What other things could/should be done to engine?  Trying to grasp what kind of money you guys have found are usually needed in a situation like this to determine when a tractor is worth it.  Again, I know the asking price right off the bat will determine a lot too.  Are guys on average sinking 5-8,000 dollars into repairs to bring a slighty worn or neglected tractor back to working condition?  I understand some are so far gone that its not worth it to fix, they have just been beaten on that bad.  So in the above example, if was selling for lets say 15 or 20 thousand - is worth fixing giving what you know?  Or how much would it need to sell for in the above condition to make it worth while.  I know the price is high, I guess it comes down to if each individual thinks a tractor is worth asking prices.  After all, we don't often get to buy a tractor from a known owner, so its a pig in a poke.

I have an example in my shop right now.  It’s not a Magnum but close to it, an MX150.  It does have some Magnum parts in it 😁.  It’s a European tractor with a ton of hours on it (who knows how many, the hour meter can’t be right.  Split the trans because the forward clutch started to drag, found some other problems too,  mainly with the internal MFD driveline. Everything else looks good.  So far I have spent $3,500 in parts on it, add to that about $1,200 to freshen up the MFD axle when I first got the tractor.  I don’t think you will spend money as quick on a Magnum as  the tractor I have apart.  My brother bought a 7140 off Ritchie Bros years ago, it had a questionable past.  So far he really hasn’t spent a lot of money on it.  Freshened up the MFD axle I think, shift control cable, head gasket, maybe a few other things.  He’s gotten a lot of work out of it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bitty said:

Very much worth the asking price if things check out ok. Hours mean nothing to do with the value for the most part

What is two wheel drive?????

I am only referring to the MFD Magnums in my posting as 2 wheel is worth nothing to me. Funny how most of the 2 wheel drive ones are more expensive on tractor house than we paid for 7 of our Magnums average..

too bad you guys live so far away there are a couple options around here then in the MFD dept, I personally bought an 88 series with good history and knowingly had to dump 2 grand in the AC and just the past week an alternator - thats it in my first 1.5 yrs of owning. 

its hard to say how much on average someone is putting into one since it has a lot of bearing on what you are willing to deal with and have the ability to fix on your own - in the case of gearclash, he has teh ability but if it were me I would be looking at a 10K bill for those repairs minimum - I dont have the ability to split a tractor nor the knowledge - I would love to know/learn in case i did but i dont know anyone cept for here that would be able to grow my abilities. 

on said tractor, cab refresh ( you do yourself ) 1K for spiffy refresh with new stuff. Gauges, hard to say but add 500 for that again doing yourself. Seal leak on engine - you split guessing a seal and just time...........100 bucks? 

if you bought it for 15K and dumpted 2K in it id say thats a good deal. 

20K and dumped 2K in it , good deal

but i dont think you are going to get it that cheap 

paid for repairs id guess would be in the neighborhood of 5 to 7K but again thats just a guess, i dont know the difficulty of splitting a magnum - that looks daunting to me

15 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

I have been getting some for sale from a broker in the south for 15 to 18k.......and they don't look bad at all, other than being on R-2's.  Being in Canada though would put a wrench in that as far as costs to get it over the line.  Heck, I paid 20k for a 7130 when crop prices were out the roof from the south.  Kept the weights, bracket, duals, hubs and top link and got 24k out of it acouple years later.  

Ok, here is another off the wall question - 7100 series had muffler under hood from what I understand, right?  So is it possible to upgrade a 7100 series to the 7200 series muffler that’s outside on the corner post vs under hood to reduce heat under hood like was there intention at IH?  Is it worth having the muffler outside?  I understand it cuts down on heat, but we’re they having lots of overheating issues with 7100’s that this would be a very valuable upgrade to be done if parts could be had for a reasonable price?

25 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Ok, here is another off the wall question - 7100 series had muffler under hood from what I understand, right?  So is it possible to upgrade a 7100 series to the 7200 series muffler that’s outside on the corner post vs under hood to reduce heat under hood like was there intention at IH?  Is it worth having the muffler outside?  I understand it cuts down on heat, but we’re they having lots of overheating issues with 7100’s that this would be a very valuable upgrade to be done if parts could be had for a reasonable price?

We did this to our 7140. The correct way would be to get the cast bracket for the exhaust and the bellhousing would need to be swapped out with a newer one as the holes are different on the 71 compared to the 72 series

My 7130 has a muffler eliminator on it and just a straight pipe.  It's not really all that loud outside nor much at all in the cab.  It does sound good though.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, B.B. said:

My 7130 has a muffler eliminator on it and just a straight pipe.  It's not really all that loud outside nor much at all in the cab.  It does sound good though.  

I have ran them both ways and I don't think the muffler does much if anything other than hold heat where you didn't need it. 

2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I have ran them both ways and I don't think the muffler does much if anything other than hold heat where you didn't need it. 

The external muffler on the 72-89 is much quieter than an eliminated one. All ours have and always will have mufflers. The custom manure hauler has an eliminated 7130 and it's very loud going past the house. Our tractors are almost as loud tire wise as the engine is

26 minutes ago, bitty said:

The external muffler on the 72-89 is much quieter than an eliminated one. All ours have and always will have mufflers. The custom manure hauler has an eliminated 7130 and it's very loud going past the house. Our tractors are almost as loud tire wise as the engine is

I couldn't tell any difference between the 7200's and the older ones with mufflers. 

10 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I couldn't tell any difference between the 7200's and the older ones with mufflers. 

The question was eliminated muffler compared to with either under hood or corner post muffler. 

Sorry I misread that you indicated with muffler not eliminated

1 hour ago, bitty said:

The question was eliminated muffler compared to with either under hood or corner post muffler. 

Sorry I misread that you indicated with muffler not eliminated

Actually I guess it was me that was incorrect - is it worth spending money to move muffler to outside from under hood like 7200 series if a 7100 series was bought?  Heat wise, cost, different parts needed, etc.  Never though of going without a muffler 😱. If I did that then it would be as loud as the 3688 likely!

Actually I guess it was me that was incorrect - is it worth spending money to move muffler to outside from under hood like 7200 series if a 7100 series was bought?  Heat wise, cost, different parts needed, etc.  Never though of going without a muffler 😱. If I did that then it would be as loud as the 3688 likely!

Why bother? Our 7120 still has the original under the hood muffler. 

I wouldn't waste the time or money........I know we used a DB meter phone app and tested a eliminated 7130 and a Deere 4955 running the same equipment and the CIH was quieter without the muffler than the Deere was with it.  Was louder outside, but that is why you have a climate controlled cab, keep the windows and door shut so that did not matter to us.  Later I got to work on some here running mufflers and didn't think the muffler did much if anything inside for the red ones, outside was quieter,  but being tillage tractors for the most part here, not a big concern in the middle of a field.