Mountain Heritage

7100 & 7200 Series Magnum

Well it all depends on what you want to pull with it. A 6 row planter would not work very well behind a MFWD magnum or 88 series. We run 3 MFWD 7120 tractors and they are about the best tractors money can buy. I pull a 12 row planter and plant 24 end rows and turn around on the ends just fine. I also side dress corn with a 12 row applicator and get along just fine. If you need a MFWD tractor I would not even consider an 88 series just buy a magnum. Now if you dont really need MFWD, maybe a 5288 or 5488 2wd would fit the bill. There are lots of people that do lots of tillage with 2wd tractors and get along fine. A 2wd 5288 will pull quite a bit more than your 3688. We pull wagons in the fall with a MFWD 7120 and or a 2wd 1086 and unless its really wet or snowy then the 1086 pulls wagons just as good as the 7120.

When it’s dry, my 3688 pulls wagons with 18 ton of corn fine and will pull 4 furrow plow good too. But when it’s wet, that’s when I run into a traction issue. Right now we ya e about 8” of snow that has melted down to about 6” and the ground is not frozen underneath, so it’s snotty to say the least. That’s where the poking around for 4wd tractor comes from. As we all know, crops have to come off and we have to figure out a way to work in these conditions. No way can leave corn until it freezes up, some of it is going down and not up for hauling corn when Santa is delivering gifts. We’re in the “get it the heck off fields” mode now

well good luck!!!! i see 2x2s around here for sale cheap - well cheap in comparison to other things if you didnt need it for something else and just for mucking around when its nasty - maybe one of those unidirectional versatile things with a loader on the other end might be an option? anyway just pondering 

• Like 1

Just curious, is there parts on the European models that are just not available in NA?  I’ve seen a few of them that are not a crazy price?

Magnums are definitely nice but if it were me I would keep the 3688 and look for a nice 2+2. It's nice having 2 tractors instead of one. 2+2's will turn shorter and go through more then a mfwd tractor. When we have a wet spring or fall they have been a life saver. We've had wet falls before but this was the first year we had to use a 2+2 for hauling chopper boxes and it worked really well. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Just curious, is there parts on the European models that are just not available in NA?  I’ve seen a few of them that are not a crazy price?

I have a good friend that's a parts man at our local CaseIH dealership and he told me if I ever bought a Euro he would kick me in the nads.  Another friend of mine who came from Europe not long ago told me there is no way that the euro models advertised around here are actual hours he said most farmers that do own tractors in Europe do custom work as well as their own and run almost 24/7 until they deal again.

3 hours ago, Mighty1206 said:

Magnums are definitely nice but if it were me I would keep the 3688 and look for a nice 2+2. It's nice having 2 tractors instead of one. 2+2's will turn shorter and go through more then a mfwd tractor. When we have a wet spring or fall they have been a life saver. We've had wet falls before but this was the first year we had to use a 2+2 for hauling chopper boxes and it worked really well. 

Ill agree with everything said above. I love my Magnums, don't get me wrong. But if you're trying to get a maneuverable 4wd tractor on a budget. A 2+2 is your ticket. You could pick one up cheaper than a Magnum and you could keep the 3688. 

Im also with having more than one tractor is a time saver. We have 7 ( working more ground than you and livestock to boot. ) its so nice to not have to hook up and unhook all the time. ) Just jump from one tractor to the other and carry on. 

• Like 1

I will give the +3 on the 2+2 especially if it's a 6*88..........

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CDN 400 said:

I have a good friend that's a parts man at our local CaseIH dealership and he told me if I ever bought a Euro he would kick me in the nads.  Another friend of mine who came from Europe not long ago told me there is no way that the euro models advertised around here are actual hours he said most farmers that do own tractors in Europe do custom work as well as their own and run almost 24/7 until they deal again.

We have 4 Euro spec Magnums.. I have not had anything I couldn't get that I needed yet. There are some things that are nla on the NA version also from what I've heard. 

I don't trust the hours of any of the used tractors unless I know the owners. We buy after assessing the condition compared to the price. The Euro ones we have are the most economical ones that we have purchased. When it comes to an 8950 I have not seen any in the price range of what we bought both 7250pros for (same tractor) 

Half of our Magnums of euro-spec and half of them are North American models . In a comparison you can buy a Euro tractor nine times out of ten for a better buy giving all conditions factored into it.

Sorry while editing it I accidentally pressed paste and can't figure out how to get rid of the video

• Haha 1

Ok. Going to ask a dumb question. What is difference between 4wd, FWA, FWD?  Our is it just the area people are from what they call a four wheel drive tractor?

On 11/15/2019 at 9:25 PM, TP from Central PA said:

I will give the +3 on the 2+2 especially if it's a 6*88..........

I'll +4 the 2+2's. You won't be sorry with one. Around here you can buy 2 or 3 for the price of some magnums 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 11:22 PM, FarmerFixEmUp said:

My neighbors have 2 New Holland 8970's. One is an 8970A European and it's the one they have the most trouble with. It does have a nice fast road gear though! 

Lots of high hour 8x70 NH Genesis tractors around here running very trouble free. We had a low hour 8770A, only 4 years old. What a piece of junk. Only kept it for half a year. Nothing but electrical gremlins

On 11/16/2019 at 1:20 PM, Mountain Heritage said:

Ok. Going to ask a dumb question. What is difference between 4wd, FWA, FWD?  Our is it just the area people are from what they call a four wheel drive tractor?

for the most part it is different ways to say the same thing

but complications with that occur when comparing mechanical front wheel drive(driveshaft) vs hydraulic front wheel assist

On 11/9/2019 at 8:09 AM, bitty said:

As far as the 71 and 72 series 4x4 turning radius is going to be the exact same radius as any MFD 5X88 tractor . We haven't had too much trouble with the turning radius of them we planting with a 6 row corn planter behind an 8950 because it's what we have. 

Of our  boxcar magnums two of them are European four of them are North American models. we actually prefer that Euro models for a lot of features that they have

Have you ever been stuck with Euro IH parts availability?  Hear people who dont own them say this and that then owners all say its just fine.

Fwiw...88 are old tech and even older rigs.  We had a 5088 and I would never go back to one.  Pretty tractor but...  I have a 8930 with factory spec dual speed PTO and our dealer got xx40s in with them.  Xx20 are more common dual speed sure but not the only.  Turning...my 8930 set for 30" is tiggght to.  Only do that to pull out irrigation.  Then move rims to othersides.  Just leave them out when planting......only need 30" if cultivating or spraying.  Just thinking outloud.  My 7140 is earrrly #.  Like under 2000th built.  The 8930 is later.  All of us here during field work season prefer the 7140.  Cannot explain it but the 7140 is smoother and seems quieter.  We have never said 1 has better x or y frankly.  The 7140 shifts smoother in gates, the 8930 is a bit harsh.  Hydros are both 20 years and 30 years old.  What's expected basically, the valve blocks need to be rebuilt and tightend up.  The adj dont stick so roam flow wise.  They both always fire up instantly no matter weather.  Wish they had little better leg room...all of us bonk knees against counsol.  If cabs were 4" longer and wider would of been huge.  They are a little rough doing fast work like mowing at 13 15mph.  But at 5 to 7 with quality tire just fine.  I can pretty near repair anything on them in my farm shop(thats kinda small and messy).  

I would like another but a EU model for the higher speed on manure spreader and etc be nice.  There has to be 10 guys on TH importing them.  An for 30k a sub 10k hr magnum is worth every penny.  

A clean 8920 be sweet for out 890 loader and mowing.  A 2wd 10k hour xx40 for mixer be next.  Just so dang reliable.

What about George?  Ontario George?  George2?  Did something happen?!

• Like 1

I had my eye on a nice mx230 EU but some guy in the woods of PA looked at it for me (kinda) and bought it.....  Watch them bearded buggers from them hills

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

What about George?  Ontario George?  George2?  Did something happen?!

He died of cancer earlier in the year.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

I had my eye on a nice mx230 EU but some guy in the woods of PA looked at it for me (kinda) and bought it.....  Watch them bearded buggers from them hills

Actually it was my brother who looked at it and made the deal to buy it. He said he likes the 8910 they had there also .....

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2019 at 2:20 PM, Mountain Heritage said:

4WD is like a Steiger, a true "four wheel drive" tractor where all four wheels are of the same size and pulling equally, full time.

FWA, technically MFWA, "mechanical front wheel assist" describes the "big wheels in back, little wheels in front" style tractor with a mechanically driven axle that assists in pulling the tractor, but the rear wheels still do the bulk of the pulling.

FWD is "front wheel drive" meaning only the front wheels are pulling. It is often misused and understood to describe a MFWA tractor.

The terms are used interchangeably right or wrong, and we all know what we're talking about when we use them. So in reality it really doesn't make much difference what term you use.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Have you ever been stuck with Euro IH parts availability?  Hear people who dont own them say this and that then owners all say its just fine.

-snip_

I am working on the drivetrain of my Euro MX150 right now, so far I haven’t needed something different than the NA versions.  I do know there are a few things different about the PTO assembly, but not much as I had to go into that also, everything I needed to replace was the same as NA.  Most of the parts that are different, on these tractors at least, are cosmetic, or hitch related and could be changed over to NA parts if need be.  I have the OEM service manual and it covers the European stuff as well as NA.  I can’t speak for any other series.

152ABF2C-1E2D-4323-9D69-738146C5C2B9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

So I was up close to boxcar on the weekend for the first time. 7220 that was sold at a local dealership, just came in on trade and going out same day. Might as well say it didn’t even hit the yard!

I see where you guys are saying they are nice tractors. Didn’t drive it, but getting in and out was certainly nice and was surprised how comfortable they were. The one door idea I thought would have bugged me - not the time I was sitting in it.  Controls seem like they would be comfortable to use all day. Could see things around me good too. 

I like the 88 series a lot, but these Magnums are nice!

Honestly after having a magnum I never have the urge to use a right door on anything. If your controls are ergonomically located on the right side of your seat or right door is basically impossible to get out of anyway without cathing yourself on something. 

The worst thing you can have is a loader tractor with a joystick in the way to get in and out of the right side that makes a right door 100% useless. 

16 minutes ago, bitty said:

Honestly after having a magnum I never have the urge to use a right door on anything. If your controls are ergonomically located on the right side of your seat or right door is basically impossible to get out of anyway without cathing yourself on something. 

The worst thing you can have is a loader tractor with a joystick in the way to get in and out of the right side that makes a right door 100% useless. 

Agreed - I only use my door to access controls when hooking things up. Other than that, its just a glass that opens but never gets used.  It’s like the rear window - only time it gets used is when I am splitting wood and want to listen to the radio   

I guess I just had in my head they didn’t look like comfortable cabs. A BOX feeling from looking at pictures. Not being around one before, didn’t know. 

Never get out of the right door, but like it alot when you have a stack of monitors and have issues, flop the door open and stand on the step.  Also nice blowing silage or other stationary PTO work. 

I would agree that a 2+2 would not be a bad idea. They are cheap and could be just what you need to get wagons out of the field. Plus if you dont pull them hard it should treat you fine. If you can find a nice one that is still set at stock hp I think you would get along real well.