Mountain Heritage

7100 & 7200 Series Magnum

Been looking for 4wd tractor upgrade - just poking around at it, not ready to pull trigger at all.

Different people tell me the Magnums are basically an '88 series rear end design with some upgrade and nicer, dependable front axle?  If can't find good,cheap Magnum, buy '88 series?

Know engines are different, and from what I read seem to be powerful and reliable.

Did many searches here and I know our fellow member George had lots of info on upgrades made over the years, changes with serial number info, etc.  Too bad we lost such knowledge so soon.  I've noticed some of the cosmetic upgrades talked about through years when looking at sales ads.

Question..... How do you tell difference between European models that are here and North American versions?  I see  some units for sale that have extra lights in the grill under the normal front lights that wrap around corners of hood and grill.  They look like they are factory, the grill is finished nicely around them, not just scabbed into grill.  I notice these models have some function buttons on the side console under window that other models without these lights are missing?  The upgrade to cab filter housing that makes viewing area better that they talk about in promotional videos, is it that much more noticeable from first versions?  How much thinner or slanted did they make that rear cab filter housing to acheive that?

Guys have said in previous posts that the 7100 series sucks at turning with a 4wd unit.  Some even say the '88 series were the same too?  Need 5 acres to get turned at headlands.  I know the 8900 series were improved for that with the modification/re-design of front weight bracket.  But how bad is the 7100 or 7200 series for turning?  I always plant 24 rows of corn to make my headlands and that always gives us lots of room when harvesting.  I guess I'm wondering how tight are guys wanting to turn these tractors?  Think they advertise them having a 20 foot turning radius - I thought that was decent for a big tractor?

Is the answer to the question of is a Magnum better than '88 series if money isn't a consideration?  I'm going to assume yes.

I wish guys who ask about buying tractors post the outcome, did they buy it, why or why not.  Things they liked or didn't like, should have chose differently, should have saved money, or should have bought a long time ago.

I was also told that the MXM series that CIH put out was basically a New Holland skinned with red panels because they had a heck of a time selling them with blue on them?  Guess these were at merger time?  I've also read these were known to have lots of electrical problems too?  Any of this true?

Also, what is the "Pro" models?  What is so special about those?

Buy a Magnum for the powershift , yes the gear ratio is exactly the same between the two . If your looking for 7100 series find one that doesn't have the step in the engine oil filter . In 1991 they changed the piston so the second ring didn't break , keep in mind most of the older tractor have already had the engines updated by now . 

I would tell you to buy a 7120 or 7220 because of the dual speed PTO and if you can't find one then look at a 7140/50 or 724/50 and put a dual speed PTO in it if you need that .  If none of this works you can build one like the 5388 then you can have one of the originals that IH had built .

Danny

image.jpeg

• Like 5

I would not even consider an 88 series tractor at this point. A good field ready one is going to run you every bit as much as an older Magnum, and with the Magnum you get better parts support (lots more of them made), better cab (no stupid fuel tank taking up half the interior, no stupid backwards opening doors that make you crawl over the muddy tire to get in and out), better transmission, bulletproof engine.

People make way too much out of turning radius. If you think a first/second generation Magnum is bad, the 88 series Elwood axles are just as bad if not worse. It's pretty typical of 1980's MFWD technology. They hadn't figured it out yet. It's not an insurmountable problem. You'll get used to it. If you can't get one turned around in 24 rows, you're doing something VERY wrong.

• Like 2

I had a 7220.  Just planted with it. 24 rows on the end you can make it back in when you turn but it's not very desirable. If you don't have a 12 row planter forget it. I had no love for that tractor and she went down the road. It was super clumsy for what I used it for, compared to the 8940.  7100-7200 series are not junk and should be passed over. Just didn't work for me. Whatever you do, skip the 88 series. Sure glad I did.

helped a guy that had a 7250 set for 30 inch rows, dang near needed 40 acres to turn that thing around. after planting was over we would move front wheels out to run moco, you could manuever around then

To identify European tractors, look at the belt line lights on the cab. They will always have the flashers there instead of in the cab roof, regardless of the make and model, unless someone has gone through a great deal of trouble to change them.  The middle tractor in this picture is European. Note the difference in the lights.  This is the first Euro tractor I bought, now I would prefer them over NA tractors as they have options on them that I find desirable that were never offered on the NA tractors at the time.  Be aware that Euro tractors are a pig in a poke though.

352D131D-3723-45F0-A58C-F88021D4D936.jpeg

• Like 1

24 rows is plenty to turn a FWA Magnum around in. We plant 16 and can get our FWA 7120 turned on the headlands. Yeah, it takes it all but it can be done and we do it. I just turned ours around with the grain cart on 16 rows.

I wouldn't personally be afraid of either side of the oil filter change. We have one of each ( makes it easy when the parts guy asks you which filter you need, just say one of each). Plus with the Magnum you don't have the Sentry system to give you the finger at times.

I will agree that a 6 row on a FWA Magnum from that era is clumsy but can be done. A neighbor of ours runs a 6 row on a FWA 7140 ( yeah as on Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?" ) I'll admit that we went 2wd 7120 when bought it for planting because of turning radius but if it's that muddy we probably shouldn't be out there anyway planting, especially with duals on it. 

Now my question is are you planning on getting rid of the 3688? Or adding another tractor to the fleet to help out? I remember being part of the conversation with you when you were debating on what to buy when you got the 3688. 

Things I didn't like, and keep in mind this was on a early one(7130).

-MFD steering radius was horrendous

-Vision out the rear of the cab with the air filter housing was terrible unless you sat on the floor

-flow controls stunk

-88 Series gauges on the dash that worked instead of the infamous black, blank, black bars on the fuel gauge for example would have been nice

-Build arm muscles up for the shift work running that gate from 8th to reverse at headlands if your doing veggy work.  Newer ones had this improved, but I still don't think it was as nice as the 15 spd Deere to get through

-Draft pin heaven on the 3pt................flip a coin on whether they work on any day, of-course you can delete them, but then you don't have a useful feature of the hitch.

-hydraulics on the early ones were very lack luster, found that out the hard way

-I personally hated the case style axles and hubs, but most disagree with me.

I did like the cab steps, door, and bones being IH, but to be honest, its one of the few tractors that I sold that I never miss...................with that said, I would be convicted of murder if someone took away my 88 series.  

The Euro Magnums have extra headlights in the lower grille screen.  They also have an extended width rear fender (its molded into the fender).  There is a place in MN that is importing Euro Magnums and other equipment here to the USA.  Mechanically they are nearly the same as the North American models.  Electrically and hydraulically they can be VERY different!  Getting parts for the Euro MAGNUMS here in North America can be challenging.  One might even have to use contacts in the IH Mafia to get them. SO......the Euro MAGNUMS may be cheaper to buy, they can be a lot harder to get some parts for...

As far as the 71 and 72 series 4x4 turning radius is going to be the exact same radius as any MFD 5X88 tractor . We haven't had too much trouble with the turning radius of them we planting with a 6 row corn planter behind an 8950 because it's what we have. 

Of our  boxcar magnums two of them are European four of them are North American models. we actually prefer that Euro models for a lot of features that they have

Other indications of a Euro Magnum are extraordinarily wide tires, claw type ends on the 3pt arms, stubby undersized drawbar, and/or a "pick-up" hitch.

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Other indications of a Euro Magnum are extraordinarily wide tires, claw type ends on the 3pt arms, stubby undersized drawbar, and/or a "pick-up" hitch.

Forgot the useless "Russian Asset" short axles.......

11 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I would not even consider an 88 series tractor at this point. A good field ready one is going to run you every bit as much as an older Magnum.

Not around here you wont, an 88 series field ready is less than 20K and magnum is 30 to 40 and that is a 2wd. 

I bought an 88 series two yrs ago with a reman SRC enging, with less than 100 hours,  2 owner tractor, new michelin radials on the rear, air ride seat, recent paint, new cab interior, trannie updates done at 5500 hours, tractor has 9400 hours on it. I paid 16K for it and 500 to get it hauled home. 

All mine needed was AC work and two new batteries. 

tree removal 1.jpg

tree removal 2.jpg

• Like 1

Boxcars can be had in certain areas of the country cheap........one I had came out of Arkansas, they have only gotten cheaper in the south.

12 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I would not even consider an 88 series tractor at this point. A good field ready one is going to run you every bit as much as an older Magnum, and with the Magnum you get better parts support (lots more of them made), better cab (no stupid fuel tank taking up half the interior, no stupid backwards opening doors that make you crawl over the muddy tire to get in and out), better transmission, bulletproof engine.

People make way too much out of turning radius. If you think a first/second generation Magnum is bad, the 88 series Elwood axles are just as bad if not worse. It's pretty typical of 1980's MFWD technology. They hadn't figured it out yet. It's not an insurmountable problem. You'll get used to it. If you can't get one turned around in 24 rows, you're doing something VERY wrong.

I personally wouldn't consider a 7100/7200 Magnum. Around me you can get a newer magnum for same money or less and have a better cab and hydraulics capable of running modern equipment.

14 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Been looking for 4wd tractor upgrade - just poking around at it, not ready to pull trigger at all.

Different people tell me the Magnums are basically an '88 series rear end design with some upgrade and nicer, dependable front axle?  If can't find good,cheap Magnum, buy '88 series?

Know engines are different, and from what I read seem to be powerful and reliable.

Did many searches here and I know our fellow member George had lots of info on upgrades made over the years, changes with serial number info, etc.  Too bad we lost such knowledge so soon.  I've noticed some of the cosmetic upgrades talked about through years when looking at sales ads.

Question..... How do you tell difference between European models that are here and North American versions?  I see  some units for sale that have extra lights in the grill under the normal front lights that wrap around corners of hood and grill.  They look like they are factory, the grill is finished nicely around them, not just scabbed into grill.  I notice these models have some function buttons on the side console under window that other models without these lights are missing?  The upgrade to cab filter housing that makes viewing area better that they talk about in promotional videos, is it that much more noticeable from first versions?  How much thinner or slanted did they make that rear cab filter housing to acheive that?

Guys have said in previous posts that the 7100 series sucks at turning with a 4wd unit.  Some even say the '88 series were the same too?  Need 5 acres to get turned at headlands.  I know the 8900 series were improved for that with the modification/re-design of front weight bracket.  But how bad is the 7100 or 7200 series for turning?  I always plant 24 rows of corn to make my headlands and that always gives us lots of room when harvesting.  I guess I'm wondering how tight are guys wanting to turn these tractors?  Think they advertise them having a 20 foot turning radius - I thought that was decent for a big tractor?

Is the answer to the question of is a Magnum better than '88 series if money isn't a consideration?  I'm going to assume yes.

I wish guys who ask about buying tractors post the outcome, did they buy it, why or why not.  Things they liked or didn't like, should have chose differently, should have saved money, or should have bought a long time ago.

I was also told that the MXM series that CIH put out was basically a New Holland skinned with red panels because they had a heck of a time selling them with blue on them?  Guess these were at merger time?  I've also read these were known to have lots of electrical problems too?  Any of this true?

Also, what is the "Pro" models?  What is so special about those?

First of all we need a little bit more information on what you plan on doing with this tractor, for example are you going to be pulling at six row corn planter with 30 inch row spacing? 

I don’t think you will ever see euro 8900 series, the 7200 pro series were the equivalent of the 8900 series in North America. I believe the reason behind that is because in Europe when they changed the model numbers they have to put them through tests that cost the company a lot of money. 

I have a 7120 that I bought new in 91 when I got it I was using a 4 furrow 18 inch 720 plow and then in 95 I upgraded to a 7500 5 furrow, The disc I had then was a 496  19 feet wide and I had no problem making a U-turn on the Headland and go right back down the field, that was on a 40 foot wide Headland.

I still have that tractor today and it’s summer job is cutting hay on a 12 foot pivot tongue disc mower.

I also had a 1994 7220 that was basically the same tractor except for it had a few more convenient features on it, for example it was easier to shift The power shift lever from forward to reverse, it had the push button controls out on the outside of the cab for the three point hitch so it was easier to hook up equipment, The differential lock and four-wheel-drive had an automatic setting so when you would raise the equipment it would go into 2 Wheel Dr. or if you went on the road over 13th gear it would go into 2 Wheel Dr. or if you stepped on one brake it would go into 2 Wheel Dr. to make a shorter turning radius because when the tractor is in 2 Wheel Dr. it will turn shorter than when in four-wheel-drive.

It would be hard to find an 8900 series because they only build them for about a year and a half then they brought out the MX magnum tractors.

I almost bought an 8930 in the spring of 97 it was sitting on the dealer’s lot and it actually had a 540 and 1000 PTO on it.

The nicest things with those tractors is the full powershift transmission, of course the later models you will have more upgrades and convenience but they’re all pretty good tractors, don’t forget the early ones are over 30 years old now! 

9757D8F1-83E5-4073-8C55-AE6A42511ED9.thumb.jpeg.033a70727e1a39c23cc7299d7a40ad76.jpeg5C500A59-D82D-481E-ADF0-65A27C78CD40.thumb.jpeg.8104bfff60c99688a038c3c9d4e28435.jpeg Here’s a couple of pictures of the 7120 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

I personally wouldn't consider a 7100/7200 Magnum. Around me you can get a newer magnum for same money or less and have a better cab and hydraulics capable of running modern equipment.

+1 on that, seen some good deals on MX's in the south.  

89 series were made for three years and were getting emission controls. 

56 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

There’s a reason for that, reliability caps pumps and hydraulic lines under cab along with park brakes and engine driveline u joints.

44 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

89 series were made for three years and were getting emission controls. 

There’s a reason for that, reliability caps pumps and hydraulic lines under cab along with park brakes and engine driveline u joints.

I can't argue that the first generation Magnums are super reliable. But personally have seen no issues with MX Magnums.

The CAPS pump and the hyd lines were a big issue when I was in parts. I kept four pumps on hand. Pretty high dollar inventory. Also what ever wiring under the cab causes the tractor to burst into flames. Brother in law had hat happen. Worst thing was he lost his wallet. My brother has been a mechanic for years at a large independent shop. He works on all brands. I will quote him. "If it has a letter in its model avoid it" 

I may be biased. I was around with all three boxcar series. You always have rose colored glasses for your first love. 

1 hour ago, cedar farm said:

"If it has a letter in its model avoid it" 

My neighbors have 2 New Holland 8970's. One is an 8970A European and it's the one they have the most trouble with. It does have a nice fast road gear though! 

18 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

24 rows is plenty to turn a FWA Magnum around in. We plant 16 and can get our FWA 7120 turned on the headlands. Yeah, it takes it all but it can be done and we do it. I just turned ours around with the grain cart on 16 rows.

I wouldn't personally be afraid of either side of the oil filter change. We have one of each ( makes it easy when the parts guy asks you which filter you need, just say one of each). Plus with the Magnum you don't have the Sentry system to give you the finger at times.

I will agree that a 6 row on a FWA Magnum from that era is clumsy but can be done. A neighbor of ours runs a 6 row on a FWA 7140 ( yeah as on Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?" ) I'll admit that we went 2wd 7120 when bought it for planting because of turning radius but if it's that muddy we probably shouldn't be out there anyway planting, especially with duals on it. 

Now my question is are you planning on getting rid of the 3688? Or adding another tractor to the fleet to help out? I remember being part of the conversation with you when you were debating on what to buy when you got the 3688. 

If money wasn't an issue, then hands down, the 3688 would stay.  Reality, it may be needed as source of money for a 4wd tractor for which ever model I found.  Price of corn isn't that good.

It basically comes down to the same issue I had before - tillage in fall and hauling wagons in fall.  Dealing with wet conditions Spring and Fall.  Where I need that extra bit of traction to get things done.  A 2wd tractor works great for planting, spraying, putting on fertilizer, etc.  That the 3688 is good at, it when things get snotty, then I have issues which I'm sure other do too.  Just not totally convinced my land base I have would warrent owning two tractors.  Renting a tractor when I need it for wet conditions would be nice but just doesn't work, they aren't out there to be had where I am.

Right now it 4 row planter- - but our plan is to upgrade to 6 row soon.

Good info on European models guys!

I think its going to be like any other tractor hunt, have a list of serial number breaks for features to go for or stay away from.  List out the good and bad that you's have all pointed out and hope to find a good deal.

Again, like said before, just poking now, looking for info and first hand knowledge from people.

18 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

-I personally hated the case style axles and hubs, but most disagree with me.

I did like the cab steps, door, and bones being IH, but to be honest, its one of the few tractors that I sold that I never miss...................with that said, I would be convicted of murder if someone took away my 88 series.  

Yes, the hubs/rim centers on some are odd on the Magnums.  Not sure if they have them flipped a different way for wheel spacing or if i happen to be looking at a European model - will have to go back and look again.  But I know some just don't seem to flow in the looks department!

21 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Buy a Magnum for the powershift , yes the gear ratio is exactly the same between the two . If your looking for 7100 series find one that doesn't have the step in the engine oil filter . In 1991 they changed the piston so the second ring didn't break , keep in mind most of the older tractor have already had the engines updated by now . 

I would tell you to buy a 7120 or 7220 because of the dual speed PTO and if you can't find one then look at a 7140/50 or 724/50 and put a dual speed PTO in it if you need that .  If none of this works you can build one like the 5388 then you can have one of the originals that IH had built .

Danny

image.jpeg

Danny, if had your tallent and expertice, I'd tackle one of those for sure!  You have a Diamond in the rough there Sir!  Never tire of seeing your tractors.

7 hours ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

First of all we need a little bit more information on what you plan on doing with this tractor, for example are you going to be pulling at six row corn planter with 30 inch row spacing? 

I don’t think you will ever see euro 8900 series, the 7200 pro series were the equivalent of the 8900 series in North America. I believe the reason behind that is because in Europe when they changed the model numbers they have to put them through tests that cost the company a lot of money. 

I have a 7120 that I bought new in 91 when I got it I was using a 4 furrow 18 inch 720 plow and then in 95 I upgraded to a 7500 5 furrow, The disc I had then was a 496  19 feet wide and I had no problem making a U-turn on the Headland and go right back down the field, that was on a 40 foot wide Headland.

I still have that tractor today and it’s summer job is cutting hay on a 12 foot pivot tongue disc mower.

I also had a 1994 7220 that was basically the same tractor except for it had a few more convenient features on it, for example it was easier to shift The power shift lever from forward to reverse, it had the push button controls out on the outside of the cab for the three point hitch so it was easier to hook up equipment, The differential lock and four-wheel-drive had an automatic setting so when you would raise the equipment it would go into 2 Wheel Dr. or if you went on the road over 13th gear it would go into 2 Wheel Dr. or if you stepped on one brake it would go into 2 Wheel Dr. to make a shorter turning radius because when the tractor is in 2 Wheel Dr. it will turn shorter than when in four-wheel-drive.

It would be hard to find an 8900 series because they only build them for about a year and a half then they brought out the MX magnum tractors.

I almost bought an 8930 in the spring of 97 it was sitting on the dealer’s lot and it actually had a 540 and 1000 PTO on it.

The nicest things with those tractors is the full powershift transmission, of course the later models you will have more upgrades and convenience but they’re all pretty good tractors, don’t forget the early ones are over 30 years old now! 

9757D8F1-83E5-4073-8C55-AE6A42511ED9.thumb.jpeg.033a70727e1a39c23cc7299d7a40ad76.jpeg5C500A59-D82D-481E-ADF0-65A27C78CD40.thumb.jpeg.8104bfff60c99688a038c3c9d4e28435.jpeg Here’s a couple of pictures of the 7120 

Why did you get rid of the 2nd Magnum?  Other tractors to buy, or you end up having issues?

9 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

Not around here you wont, an 88 series field ready is less than 20K and magnum is 30 to 40 and that is a 2wd. 

I bought an 88 series two yrs ago with a reman SRC enging, with less than 100 hours,  2 owner tractor, new michelin radials on the rear, air ride seat, recent paint, new cab interior, trannie updates done at 5500 hours, tractor has 9400 hours on it. I paid 16K for it and 500 to get it hauled home. 

All mine needed was AC work and two new batteries. 

tree removal 1.jpg

tree removal 2.jpg

That is a sweet set up.  Damn its hard to walk away from the style of an 88 series tractor.  Just something about the shape of them?

I am not talking about looks, I am talking about how much of a pain it is to pull the wedge center out of the case style hub especially now that the years have progressed to move centers.  I like the dual wedge on the 88's a lot better.

2 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Why did you get rid of the 2nd Magnum?  Other tractors to buy, or you end up having issues?

On October 28, 1999 (my mothers birthday) I ordered a MX 220 with every option that I needed or wanted, it was built and arrived at the dealer just before Christmas (my Christmas present to myself) I picked it up in the beginning of January 2000 

I plan on keeping both tractors forever! If I had to choose to give one up I think you would have to pry both of them out of my cold dead hands! 

Here’s a picture of my MX 220 

E02963EE-C547-49E7-A6C9-1E59FF50E9CA.thumb.jpeg.0c02cd9ea9428e29ba9b787d512c37ff.jpeg

• Like 1