Snow ball (or while I'm there)

Nice work !! Curious what make & size of saw do you use for your mill ? And type of wood ? 

I will be doing the same thing in a couple days... am building a shed shelter for my horses and need to  cut a couple beams like yours...

Was typing when you added that... is white oak readily available where you are ?

Should be a strong beam...and sorry, but don’t recognize the make of the saw on your mill.. I see another orange one in one pic... a Husky ? 

1 minute ago, exSW said:

Saw is a McCulloch 118(Aussie Dolmar 166) Mill is a cheap Chinese from HL Supply

That’s what I have for a mill too... 

18 minutes ago, exSW said:

Saw is a McCulloch 118(Aussie Dolmar 166) Mill is a cheap Chinese from HL Supply

Do you have a ripping chain on it, or just use a regular chain ? 

I have it in my head that I want to build a bandsaw mill this winter... have most of the parts already, hoping to do it for under $500.00...

23 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

We worked on ours here all weekend, other than painting it's in good shape for once. Even cleaned all the windows!

Do you need any used motor oil to "preserve" the new beam?  Will need to eat your Wheaties to get that in place!

121x Kubota or maybe a bigger Hitachi. Have to set some cut stones too.

exSW,

Well that is the snowball effect for sure! Next you will be residing the barn too?:)

Nice work cutting out the beam from that white oak log! You might have a place on the Barnwood builder show!

Regards,

Chris

On 11/16/2019 at 9:20 PM, exSW said:

Did a little rough joinery. Some more jacking and blocking and it's installation time

WP_20191116_002.jpg

WP_20191116_003.jpg

Nice work, can't wait to see end result.  Awesome that you're fixing old stuff up.  Too many people just knock them down.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sugarmaker said:

exSW,

Well that is the snowball effect for sure! Next you will be residing the barn too?:)

Nice work cutting out the beam from that white oak log! You might have a place on the Barnwood builder show!

Regards,

Chris

Possibly ,it's only that north face that's crappy.And it's not THAT bad. It is also the best place to store the remaining good siding until a higher use is found for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...