Sign in to follow this  
Driver1

How long of a day do you work during planting and harvest

Wondering how many hour you run during planting and harvest? Do you have livestock to take care of first?

I try to keep it under 14 hrs a day. Our planting and harvest always seems to be 3 months each so I take the marathon approach. Also most of my help lives thirty minutes away so they have an hour of driving a day also. 

We used to run research plots for 15-16 hours a day during harvest. Once DOT rules came into play we had to follow hours of service per their regulations. Longest was 22hrs. I have a different job now and am not working for the man and his agenda any more in that realm. 

We will run daylight hours chopping, planting corn I will run 16+ hours if field conditions are correct. Seeding is usually harder to see but might run after dark. I don't take care of animals . I will mow as much as I can stay awake as the windrower has really nice lights. 

The year I got married we had our corn custom chopped and the chopper wanted to run 24-6 . We didn't have guys for night hauling besides me and my brother besides one other guy. One day I went 32 hours straight ..... :(

This factored into leasing our own chopper the next fall, plus it cost the same for the lease as it cost for chopping 400 acres of cornsilage. We had 660 and haylage to do for the next year so with maintenance and fuel it was an advantage to do it ourselves

Edited by bitty
Added more
  • Like 1

As many as we can. Rarely over 18 though, we get to tired after 14. Thx-Ace

Guys I worked for in Nebraska didn't like to run after dark or on Sunday. I always had cattle chores of a morning as well as the boss. I did most of the tillage, spraying, wrenching, combined beans some, some trucking and took care of the 1000hd feedyard but we mostly never worked over 12 hours during busy times. Had another guy that did the planting and haying, some wrenching, combined beans and did most of the trucking. The Grandson ran the chopper built fence took care of 1000hd cow calf. The other hired guy filled in wherever and helped alot with cow calf. Boss mowed all the hay, packed pit, and combined corn. Usually outside of planting, chopping, and harvest we knocked off at 5 everyday and noon on Saturday and only did cattle chores on Sunday. Occasionally during planting the boss would run a tractor and disk on Sunday. We stayed busy but didnt kill ourselves and everything still got done in a timely manner. Everyone had their area of responsibilities and it worked out well. I sure miss working there.

• Like 1

Seeding time usually try not to work past midnight. But we will go later doing fieldwork. Depends on conditions and how the weather is. So I guess 16-18 hour days normally. I'll feed cows once I get home at 2am if need be, but usually try to do it earlier in the day. 

Harvest is a whole other story. We usually can't get more than 4 or 5 nice hours in a day to go. But when the weather is nice and if the grain is dry, we will run 24 hour days. Most we have ever run was 3 full days. Finished up when it rained on the fourth day. Never been so happy to go to bed lol.

The weather is so unpredictable that we can't take any chances. When it's time to go, we go. Farming ain't no 9-5, Monday to Friday job. We got such a short window of opportunity, gotta go when you can. Like I say, I can sleep when I'm dead lol

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Whatever it takes.

Best answer.

Had rain coming during planting....work till 12ish.  Forecast looked nice quit at 8 and start after chores in the morning....9 930.  

Smiled otherday, in bible study our friend (city gal) asked how many hrs you work?  I said "I get up at 4:30 and come in 5:30 to 6pm.  Unless were busy then whenever done done.  If I get heifers I try going at 3:30 so be back in time for supper.  But I try to get in for breakfast and a 15 minute nap like 7ish though.  Only 15 though since 30 makes you more tired".  Should of seen her eyes...her husband is a dentist.  730 to 330...0 weekends or etc.  Last winter the never off for Christmas was a eye opener for her.  Nice gal...just town kid.  Dad was a acct iirc

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Best answer.

Had rain coming during planting....work till 12ish.  Forecast looked nice quit at 8 and start after chores in the morning....9 930.  

Smiled otherday, in bible study our friend (city gal) asked how many hrs you work?  I said "I get up at 4:30 and come in 5:30 to 6pm.  Unless were busy then whenever done done.  If I get heifers I try going at 3:30 so be back in time for supper.  But I try to get in for breakfast and a 15 minute nap like 7ish though.  Only 15 though since 30 makes you more tired".  Should of seen her eyes...her husband is a dentist.  730 to 330...0 weekends or etc.  Last winter the never off for Christmas was a eye opener for her.  Nice gal...just town kid.  Dad was a acct iirc

Some people just don't have a clue. I get that at work alot. I'll work till 1 or 2am, then get home, have supper, wash up and get some rest and be at work by 7 am. Co workers talk about how they were up late, till 10 or 11. I just say I wish I could get to sleep that early. Lol. They tell me over and over again, I don't know how you do it. They always chuckle when I say I work more hours per week on the farm then at work

• Haha 1

From my 20s up to my mid 40s I would put in 16 to 20 hour days during the rush seasons! 

I could go up to about two weeks running like that, but sometimes I would have to stop what I was doing to have a 20 minute nap because I would start to doze off and we would get some crooked rows of corn or there would be a few missed spots in the fields of whatever I was doing! 

After the rush was over if I got one or two good nights sleep of eight hours I was back to normal, but now if I do one day like that now it seems to take me a week to recover! 

The most I have gone without sleep has been 36 hours, that has happened all me once and it will likely never happen again! 

I help a guy out plus run my mowing business.  Try to run 16 to 18 hr days doing tillage work for him. During harvest it's what ever the guy the guy in combine wants to run. Have ran upto 48hrs straight  not sure if I could that now.

14-15 hr days are not a problem for me yet but I have found that I can't swing more than two 18-19 hr days in a row. By the 3rd day my body is alright but I know I am not as mentally sharp as I should be. It also depends on how many breakdowns you have to deal with. When I was in college I worked for a farmer who had all new equipment so running 16 hr days was pretty easy because you only ever had to get out of the tractor for fuel and to use the restroom. There were a few days of that were I could go 8-10 hrs straight without the tractor having to stop moving (besides for backing to corners on headlands). If only all farming was that easy. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

The most I have gone without sleep has been 36 hours, that has happened all me once and it will likely never happen again! 

Hah! 36 hours without sleep, eh? I’ve been 43 hours behind the wheel, only stopping to load & unload. Did that twice, two weeks apart. Don’t recommend it though. 

around 9 in office and 9 on the farm.

hard to make progress any other way when you have to have off farm work to make things work.

the farm work is 100x less stressful than the office though,  it’s relaxing,  not like work at all

4 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Hah! 36 hours without sleep, eh? I’ve been 43 hours behind the wheel, only stopping to load & unload. Did that twice, two weeks apart. Don’t recommend it though. 

Well you must be a better/tougher/bit crazier man than I am!  There’s no way I could do it again! 

It must’ve been about 15 years ago when I did that, and the only reason I did it was because I wanted to finish combining corn before a lot of rain was in the forecast.

My day started off milking cows and doing chores and then I headed off to the field, I would combine corn for about two or 2 1/2 hours to fill the dump trailer and then jump in the truck and run it back and dump it off into the silo. I would work until suppertime and then milk the cows and a few chores then head back to the field until six in the morning, then I did it again the next day until I finished the corn just before it started to rain, I didn’t unload the last load that day! 

Hope things are going well for you, looking forward to some more of your trucking adventures.

• Like 1

Its rare for me to put in more than 12 hours on the combine, most of the time. If weather is threatening, or I want to finish a field and move home I'll push into the early morning hours. But then maybe I didn't get rolling til noon either. Nice thing about a small operation where I'm the boss. I start and quit when I want to. 

During the summer time I’m usually out working by7-8:00 in the morning. Seeding and harvest time I’ll work almost as late as I can. Usually seeding is no later then midnight though. Harvest time it all depends on the day. Some days I’m in the house by 10:00 again and others I quit combining around 3-4:00. It’s not very often we can run much past midnight here though. Usually by 9:30-10:00 it’s starting to get tough and by misinivht the swaths and crop are wrapping and booming going through the rotor. 

My longest shift ever was when I worked for a custom harvester, he went 40 hours straight through because the customer was giving him a hard time about the corn getting dry. It wouldn't have been so bad except that by the second night it started to snow. Big snowflakes in the tractor lights with no sleep really plays tricks with you. 

sun up to sun down

summer 0600 -2230

right now  0800-1730

cant really call it work because I enjoy it so much

snacks & afternoon nap included 

Mike