Sign in to follow this  
nelson jr

F250 heavy rims for hauling?

Haul bales all winter on a gooseneck, original steel rims are rusty'r than I'd like.  If I replace them I'd prefer heaviest duty available, any suggestions on where to start looking?

19.5s should be heavy enough

Factory rims, whether steel or aluminum are rated for XXXXlbs. Most aftermarket wheels are not rated for near the weight the factory ones are. 

This doesn’t exactly pertain to your situation, but I read a recommendation somewhere that your trailer wheels and truck wheels ( dually ) should be the same bolt pattern and tire size so you can use the spare tire on either. Mine doesn’t but I’ll keep it in mind next trailer I buy. Another thought. I had a bad experience on the New Jersey turnpike a couple months ago. My back tire on my F250 separates and I had to change in beside the road. I’ve got oversized tires on my truck and a positraction rear end. So I had to put the spare on the front then put the front tire on the rear. A lot of extra work that would have been unnecessary if I had a spare the same size as what I was running. Good luck finding your rims. As stated, you can’t go wrong with factory rims.

Used to be a lot of aftermarket wheels would not fit tight on hubs and the weight would be carried on the wheel studs, which it is not suppose to be. Hub should carry the weight. In your situation that would be very  important. I vote factory wheels also. 

• Like 1

always people on craigslist selling rims for F250s/350s shoudl have your pick of stock rims there and they are plenty strong for sure 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mader656 said:

19.5s should be heavy enough

13 hours ago, nelson jr said:

I'm talking truck rims, trailer is 19.5 already.

Nieghbor puts 19.5 rims on his 1 tons claims the tires last longer and less flats... And you did say heaviest duty

https://www.bbwheelsonline.com/8x170-bolt-pattern-19.5-inch-wheels-rims/

I went to 4 wheel parts and checked their rims about 8 years ago when I was looking for rims for my 83 F250. They had heavy duty rims in stock. (3800 lbs) chrome bullet hole style.

Thanks everybody, I looked at the 19.5's and also 4wheel parts.  19.5 trailer rims I have are ten bolt and narrow, but man are they heavy, centers look like 3/8's plate.  Rims like that just probably make a guy look guilty of being over weight on a truck.  The silage bales and big squares I haul are heavy, I never weighed a load but I'm sure I'm over.

Never had a problem with wheels on overload, have broke a couple springs though. 01 F-250  Original chrome wheels with the holes around them.

Dennis

I have a pair of 16"  F350  9300 GVW SRW stock Wheels in the shed. Still have good ford paint. I was going to add them to the trailer but decided that I would not go over 7000 # because there is no Texas DOT yearly  inspection for 7000# trailers.   Don't believe any aftermarket wheels have to be DOT certified unless they offered as original equipment on a DOT vehicle.

Actually ALCOA replacements are DOT for trucks.   Used ALCOA 22.5 and 24.5 standard semi wheels are well distributed in the used market and cheap as compared to new ones.   Passing a DOT yearly inspection could be an issue. We have found that keeping the wheels looking good can head off the detailed lug-hole hairline crack checking inspection.

I just sold a set of '12 steel and a set of '15 aluminun stock f350'wheels. No idea the capacity, but you never hear of people having problems.  They are all over ebay for $400-800.