Sledgehammer

Ever seen one of these?

It’s a 3pt IH backhoe, 3082 Series B.  I talked to the original owner who purchased it new in 1973. Would be pretty cool for smaller jobs I think. 

CA64B7A6-6744-4B48-8E7F-52467074B958.jpeg

1B094682-6BD3-4F5D-98CC-E0889CAEB0B5.jpeg

• Like 9

May want to pick up that balanced head mower while you're at it

• Like 1

Seen some like it but never an IH one. Most folks I've talked to were not impressed with 3 point mount backhoes. However I will say that most of these people expected a rather small 3 point backhoe to do the work of a Case 580/JD410/Ford 555 dedicated TLB. Personally I think if a guy used it within it's design limits it would be handier than a shirt pocket.

Rick

• Like 2

selling one just like it on bigrion.com on December 18 on a retirement/estate sale

very similar to t340 model....for 500b...24xx.....

not used much so tractor had no dedicated pump

is it there or did they do away with the splined swing.......?

27 minutes ago, mmi said:

very similar to t340 model....for 500b...24xx.....

not used much so tractor had no dedicated pump

is it there or did they do away with the splined swing.......?

There was a splined area that oriented it side to side right in between the small swing cylinders. 

The man said he ran it on a 544 and then a on 656.  He recalled that it was $3K new in 1973. 

53 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

Seen some like it but never an IH one. Most folks I've talked to were not impressed with 3 point mount backhoes. However I will say that most of these people expected a rather small 3 point backhoe to do the work of a Case 580/JD410/Ford 555 dedicated TLB. Personally I think if a guy used it within it's design limits it would be handier than a shirt pocket.

Rick

I’m right with you on this one Rick. Used to it’s intended capacity, it would really be nice. It’s not made to be a bread winner, just a lot better than a shovel. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

I’m right with you on this one Rick. Used to it’s intended capacity, it would really be nice. It’s not made to be a bread winner, just a lot better than a shovel. 

Exactly what I was thinkin, would be handy to dig out the sand that blows into stock tanks. Not my favorite job with a shovel.

• Like 1

Neighbor had one exactly like that we borrowed acouple times................They thought it was the cat's meow, I didn't think it was much if any better than a shovel. ...........

We have one for a 903 bobcat sitting in the yard . Now with mini excavators they took over 

I would like to get one of them for the kids to play with in the same box

• Like 3

I wonder if you could use one on a tractor with a cab or canopy?  Obviously you would be outside the cab with it installed but clearance wise?

Our neighbor has one.  We used to borrow it and put it on another neighbor’s 424 that had a front pump for the 2000 loader.

The backhoe (& the 424!!) was handier than a pocket on a shirt!

Like others have already said, it was not a tractor loader backhoe, but it was handy, compact, and nimble.

And it CERTAINLY beat a shovel!!!

22 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I wonder if you could use one on a tractor with a cab or canopy?  Obviously you would be outside the cab with it installed but clearance wise?

Neighbor here has one on a 766 with a canopy. Has used it like that for years and years. Might be similar to your tractor clearance wise. 

• Thanks 1

If you could find a utility loader(25 oh something)that already had the subframe that might not be to bad.

We have one similar or the same as that and it is great for fixing tile.

I think we used it on a 986 with a cad once or twice but it is tight and not as nice as on the open station 856 easier to get on and off of it.

Bradco is the manufacturing company that made all the backhoe/trencher attachment.

Has anyone seen one of these sell in recent history to have an idea on value?

I think one of those restored would be a nice setup behind a restored, 544, 656, 666..... take your choice. 

Those 3pt diggers made me think of the diggers that could be mounted on 32 and 3300 IH skid steers 

$3-400 less repairs....novelty  if you want to work it get something new that can take the stress fits right and has a high flow system to run it

that is the only reason mine is saved

• Thanks 1

I had one and it worked much better than any shovel I ever used. I used mine with my 806 which made it kinda big to use in small spaces. You cold get a lot of digging done if used for what it was made to do.

• Thanks 1

How did the hydraulics operate on these? Most tractors of the era had 1 or 2 hydraulic outlets. Just try to figure out how you operated all the functions.

2 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

How did the hydraulics operate on these? Most tractors of the era had 1 or 2 hydraulic outlets. Just try to figure out how you operated all the functions.

Only needed one remote, they fed the valve stack on the backhoe........