Sign in to follow this  
TP from Central PA

IH and later C/IH green choppers(Flail choppers)....How many numbers/differences?

How many models of them did IH and later C/IH make?  Were they built by IH or outsourced?  Parts be had?  Looking for one for next year, and will probably end up with a NH, but don't want to be clueless if I would happen across a red one.  Never was around a red one, I assume they work ok?  

I don't see a 7 or a 10 listed on Messick's, so it's probably smarter to get a New Holland, maybe a John Deere.

Looking on tracthouse you rarely see them, either did not sell many or almost none survived, in  my opinion.  I have a jd 972, they're about the same deal, very few on t'house.  Mine is ok, it has all the options and does a fair job but is getting worn and needs to go before it gets real expensive.  There was a caseih on tracthouse this fall, looking at it I didn't like the chopper/blower being belt drivin.  NH and jd are both direct pto drive.  My next move is to as new a nh as I can afford.  

Mine is getting wore, I bought it used and have put more wear on it myself.  I will say it is nicely constructed with heavy gauge steel and made for some use.  The controls I like also, although my hope is to get electric on the next one.  Mine has six blades and six paddles on the cutter head, I still wish I could chop sorghum finer.  Look on tracthouse, I betcha there are three on there.  Slim pickin's on choice, I don't know if they even make them new anymore.

Next spring I want to have a nh sitting here, never ran one but several guys who chopped a lot told me they were better machines.  I am green chopping, oats and peas, triticale,sorghum sudan and hay.  At times almost everyday in summer.  

Just chopping grass here and maybe corn fodder in the fall.  I have used NH's but never any other brands.  Always heard the Deeres worked well, but never IH or Gehls......for what I am doing, any of them would most likely work.

Parts for Gehls are getting iffy. Everyone ran NH here and they all got the snot run out of them . Good luck finding a good used one. I know I gave up.

9 minutes ago, exSW said:

Parts for Gehls are getting iffy. Everyone ran NH here and they all got the snot run out of them . Good luck finding a good used one. I know I gave up.

That is why I am trying to track one down now................Figured it would make a good project over the winter.

With all the dairys going out you would think there would be a bunch for sale, but there is seldom more than a handful other than nh on t'house.  Looked last night, 2 gehl, no jd, no case in.  My jd the splines in the sheave that drives the main cutter are worn, sheave is three or four hundred and shaft I think is welded in and is like 1200.  Could be more actually I don't remember so good anymore, and that's assuming you can still get the part.  I blew the clutch assembly apart this year, my fault, but parts cost me around a grand.  Parts came from iowa, they had less than ten in stock.  What happens when the other inventory is gone, I don't know.

It's been a good chopper and probably was real nice new, but I'm going to nh next.

What ever you decide to do, I would try to know what options were available on each model.  Two choppers might look identical but cutter head options might have one much more valuable than the other.  Or spout extensions or controls.  Also look hard at wear items and bearings.  All these cheap choppers are going to be worn.

There actually was never many around me...............To tell you the truth, one farm had one, and about the only thing that was chopped were stalks, blew them into the spreader and bedded  the pack barns with them, so everyone borrowed that same one.  Salvage yard near me always has a few, but they do a 5 gal dip in the bucket paint job, and then mark it up and its still junk, so not interested in one from them as you would still have to work on it.  

I green chop directly into a stoltzfus feeder wagon, handy as all get out for stretching pasture which I don't have enough of.

MGD had one listed that looked decent.  I spent 5k on this jd and expect to double that on the next one, I'd like something fairly new that would not wear out any time soon.

58 minutes ago, nelson jr said:

I green chop directly into a stoltzfus feeder wagon, handy as all get out for stretching pasture which I don't have enough of.

MGD had one listed that looked decent.  I spent 5k on this jd and expect to double that on the next one, I'd like something fairly new that would not wear out any time soon.

That is what I plan on doing.  I got grass standing but can easily get the cows to it,  chunks to small to screw with putting up as hay.

I try to have something growing all summer.  Oats and peas, sorghum, triticale.  You can beat the tonnage on straight hay a number of ways.  You can also plant things almost continuously all summer.

I don't remember ever seeing one in South Dakota. I did see a new one at a dealership in Minnesota back about 1986.

I would have thought a bunch would have come up for sale with all the dairys going under but it's still slim pickin's on tractor house.  400 dairys quit and nobody's running flail choppers?

1 hour ago, nelson jr said:

I would have thought a bunch would have come up for sale with all the dairys going under but it's still slim pickin's on tractor house.  400 dairys quit and nobody's running flail choppers?

Doesn't supprise me, nobody around here used them back in the day.  Maybe they were too well off and had too much feed????  I could have bought a really nice NH years back for $400 and just watched it sell, been kicking myself ever since, although at the time I had zero use for it.  Was acouple here at the consignment sale in Sept, but they brought more than they were worth IMO.