1256 rattle

dhanraha

I've begun to notice a rattle on the 1256.  It sounds to me like it is around the left hand brake while tractor is in motion.  It doesn't always do it.  When it does, applying the brake usually makes it stop.  It got new brakes this summer while at a mechanic's working on the ta.  I took the brake cover off, expecting to see something loose or wore.  It all looked great.  Anyone have an idea on where to start?

My 1066 did the same thing step on right brake noise went away. Only make noise on right side.thought it was a brake also. Check pinion shaft for play. That's what I found. Put new bearings on pinion shaft been good sense.

Pardon my ignorance, but the end of the pinion shaft is what the brake discs rest on correct?  I did check for play when I had it disassembled and thought it seemed tight.  Don't have a book in front of me at the moment, what needs to be disassembled to replace bearings?  Thanks

• 8 months later...

It has taken me a while to get to this, but with the brake removed I can rock the shaft back and forth by hand a small amount and I can feel.the shaft move slightly in and out.  I don't feel any up and down movement.  Is slight movement normal?

Kept pulling it apart, removing the axle housing.  The outside bearing (towards brake cover) seems to have the most play.  I think you can feel the tapered edge getting rough near the rollers for the bearing.  No pitting on any of the rollers that I can find.  Axle itself was tight when we removed the wheel.

On 11/7/2019 at 12:10 PM, Red666 said:

My 1066 did the same thing step on right brake noise went away. Only make noise on right side.thought it was a brake also. Check pinion shaft for play. That's what I found. Put new bearings on pinion shaft been good sense.

Had the same thing on my 1066. Put new bearings on pinion shaft has been good sense.

Unfortunately I got it put back together and still had the same rattle.  Seems to be more under the floorboard now.  Funny how the sound changed with the fender now off.  I was going to remove the top of the range transmission and see if I see anything more.