Missouri Mule

Hows this for service.

1 hour ago, MTO said:

Well, since you asked, yesterday.

You see, I used to be a sweet sob like all you guys think we should all be.

Now, I am just a sob.

I am just miserable to be around at work AND sometimes at home.

After dealing with people for 38 yrs, I have earned the right.

All they want me for is to make THEIR problems disappear and are willing to endure me and spend money to accomplish that.

I can`t control who/what walks through my door.

But they can.

I usually greet them with WTH do you want and they have come to expect that.

I tried being sweet but then they wanna stand here for an hour sharing their life`s problems that I couldn`t care less about.

It`s simple here. 

Leave your car with a note and keys and if/when I fix it, I`ll call YOU, not the other way around.

Like I tell them, I don`t come bother YOU at work so leave me alone and if you don`t trust me, go elsewhere. 

And in case you haven`t realized yet, I`m not one for telling everyone I LOVE them....

I let my actions show them IF I do. 

As for yesterday, guy brings his truck 4.5 hrs late for his appt.

Told him tough titty as I filled shop with those who could tell time.

He flew off at me (as my young assistant looked on)

He got back 10 fold what he said to me then left spinning limestone.

He called this morning sweet as pie asking for another appt.

Told him bring it NOW.

He pulled truck in, I handed him a rake to level out my driveway he tore up and I did his brake job. 

Pecking order works. 

With the economy the way it is right now the power is in the dealer, and service providers hands... There is more work than can be done so you can pick and choose a little bit on how you want to do it, and who you want to do it for... I do this at my job to a certain extent but maybe not to the extent you have outlined ... lol

I just remember what it was like during the last recession.. and am afraid of burning bridges by revealing my true feelings to people because i think the day is nearing when there is going to be a shortage of work and im going to NEED all those A-holes business to keep the doors open.  Cant count on regular customer who are great to work with because some of them may not be in business or have money during lean times... Seems like the Jerks always have the cash though so...makes good business sense to me to keep kissing the ring so to speak.

• Thanks 1

I had a NH 660 round baler that I had ordered in Dec 93 fall off the back of a flatbed semi, not a drop deck or lowboy, when the driver was backing up to the dock jammed the brakes for some reason about 15 ft from the dock. This was at the dealer, they had called to tell me it was in, was in Aug 94. I drove in to see the baler on the ground between the trailer & dock. Told the service mgr to prep it thoroughly before delivery. When salesman delivered it 3 wks later on the paperwork was a 5 yr warranty beginning that day. Don't think it ever gave me any trouble due to that.

After dealing with the public for a number of years, then reading this makes me even more happy dealing with a one year old most of the day, and cows for the rest of it.   I can see both sides of this having been there.  They should have sent someone who was not a knuckle dragger to haul it.  They should have not made excuses for the knuckle dragger, the salesman shouldn't have got mad, and the OP should have not blew a gasket.  You guys should consider the salesman's day in this, I am sure he gets calls from irrate old farts when someone strapped down their gator CORRECTLY and the straps left marks in the paint on the front suspension.  Or they bought a machine, put 100 hrs on it,  put it in the garage and now 3 years after delivery the tire went flat and they want it fixed for free because it only has 100 hrs.  I dealt with that daily and you only can handle so much, then a day when everything goes wrong and you don't feel good, you just don't want to hear it.  This world is too complicated these days, everyone really needs to just step back and breathe.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

After dealing with the public for a number of years, then reading this makes me even more happy dealing with a one year old most of the day, and cows for the rest of it.   I can see both sides of this having been there.  They should have sent someone who was not a knuckle dragger to haul it.  They should have not made excuses for the knuckle dragger, the salesman shouldn't have got mad, and the OP should have not blew a gasket.  You guys should consider the salesman's day in this, I am sure he gets calls from irrate old farts when someone strapped down their gator CORRECTLY and the straps left marks in the paint on the front suspension.  Or they bought a machine, put 100 hrs on it,  put it in the garage and now 3 years after delivery the tire went flat and they want it fixed for free because it only has 100 hrs.  I dealt with that daily and you only can handle so much, then a day when everything goes wrong and you don't feel good, you just don't want to hear it.  This world is too complicated these days, everyone really needs to just step back and breathe.

On that note, couple years ago my salesman got a call 3 o'clock in the morning from a farmer seeding winter wheat trying to beat the rain.  He was cussing up a storm about JD because he couldn't get his "POS" JD autosteer to work.  Turns out he had his tool box sitting on the diff lock.  To the salesman's credit he didn't blow up on the customer but its examples like that is why I try not to blow up because sometimes you are wrong and embarrassment is a awful feeling. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Good question. I'd say It depends on how I was approached. In this case i presented myself to him very well at first. I doubt MTO ever ran a strap across someone's hood to tow their car. And if he did he should expect an a$$ eatin. When I deserve them i take them. Where it gets foggy is when one cant admit he was wrong. Hey you got an old Pyle with the hood half bolted on who cares strap it up. Go grab a BMW and do it you deserve it. Imo and for what it's worth how could there not be damage. Think about it. 

I’m not saying you don’t have every reason to be upset, I’m just saying that keeping your cool regardless of the situation would afford you the high ground. 

If we can both agree that the salesman is a jerk, how about his boss? He’s likely to side with a calm polite customer with a valid complaint and photographic evidence to back it up. 

I I understand wanting to blow your stack, I even understand why you did, and I’m not here trying to throw stones because I’ve done it myself. I’m just saying that calmly taking it through the chain of command would probably have gotten you your desired results while keeping your blood pressure lower and make the dealer more apt to go the extra mile in the future. 

Ive lost my crap before, I have never been proud of it. 

• Like 1

My mom worked for the phone company years ago doing customer service calls.  They were authorized to hang up if the conversation got insulting.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bitty said:

So Missouri Mule should have to do all the dealer prep work because he wants it done correctly? 

I would have blew my top if a salesman was like that to me. They are supposed to service (and not as in like the AI business) their customers. Kinda like being married, happy wife happy life .... Happy customer is a repeat customer. Mad customer will go somewhere else. 

Business 101 in my opinion

The sad part is that 2 dealers own almost all of the stores within 100 mile radius , give or take, of St. Louis. It just came out that the 2 dealers are merging to form Gateway John Deere .

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

The sad part is that 2 dealers own almost all of the stores within 100 mile radius , give or take, of St. Louis. It just came out that the 2 dealers are merging to form Gateway John Deere .

Yup, that sure gives the customer buying power.....................NOT.

1 hour ago, Alan Dinan said:

With the rumor of closing the two southernmost dealers at Hermann and Dutzow and opening a new one further north. That will make it harder on the Deere rowcrop guys this direction as Heritage is mostly a hay equipment dealer.

1 hour ago, WishIhada1466 said:

With the rumor of closing the two southernmost dealers at Hermann and Dutzow and opening a new one further north. That will make it harder on the Deere rowcrop guys this direction as Heritage is mostly a hay equipment dealer.

Cant wait. Heritage is where we got the gator. 

we have a heritage near here - when i was looking at CUTs I contacted them regarding pricing since they are only 20 miles farther than the other dealer nearest me, the salesman told me straight up to go to my closest dealer they could do better on pricing. I thought that was interesting. 

I ended up purchasing from Ag Power. I have nothing but exceptional reviews for them in sales/service/parts at my local dealership. Not sure how they are outside of mine but I know they have other locations. I would have bought red but they didnt have a machine like I was trying to find. 

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I’m not saying you don’t have every reason to be upset, I’m just saying that keeping your cool regardless of the situation would afford you the high ground. 

If we can both agree that the salesman is a jerk, how about his boss? He’s likely to side with a calm polite customer with a valid complaint and photographic evidence to back it up. 

I I understand wanting to blow your stack, I even understand why you did, and I’m not here trying to throw stones because I’ve done it myself. I’m just saying that calmly taking it through the chain of command would probably have gotten you your desired results while keeping your blood pressure lower and make the dealer more apt to go the extra mile in the future. 

Ive lost my crap before, I have never been proud of it. 

I'm with yah VT. For what it's worth I would not of been nasty with his boss. Not until he got that way with me. I'm pretty quick to calm down after a minute. Also did not get his boss involved. And I probably wont as long as there is no damage. He is doing the work he was supposed to along with warranty work on the drivers door. At times I disagree, in that dealers like this are pushovers. For instance when we picked it up the window hit the upper seal and bent it over. You had to physically push the window out to get it to go inside the seal. Salesman said oh you just have to push it in. I replied understand but that wasnt acceptable to me. Not brand new. He said well I'm not sure.... and I looked at him and said hold on a minute. None of the others do that and if you cant promise me to make it right then I'd better unload this thing now.  He quickly said yes we will fix it. So I didn't get ugly but wasnt about to be pushed over either. And they are fixing it. 

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

Cant wait. Heritage is where we got the gator. 

Rolla?

I just can't get past spending 28k for a sbs. Built my house for 30k.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Yup, that sure gives the customer buying power.....................NOT.

We dealt with the last single store JD outfit in Michigan until JD forced a sale to the big conglomerate dealer at the end of August. We went there for what little JD stuff as well as Krause and Hardi parts to avoid the conglomerate. Now we don't really have a choice on the matter unless we want to drive a ways.

7 hours ago, MTO said:

Im with you on that. I was reading this thread while sitting in the corn line at the elevator/ethanol plant in a semi truck and trailer that together we didn't spend 28 grand on. Granted we bought it all used but still, wow. 

9 hours ago, MTO said:

For that money I'd get a used jeep wrangler and pocket the rest 

But to each his own...

10 hours ago, MTO said:

A house doesn’t cost 30k either in today’s world.

7 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

A house doesn’t cost 30k either in today’s world.

The plumbing & mechanical  for a costs almost 28k here, if you go very cheap

13 hours ago, MTO said:

Yah me either. Start at 25k and go up with extras 

we have a mule - w/heat - always starts, 4wd, curtis cab, only goes 25mph, gave 5500 used - love that stupid thing but in the timber to get a deer out, rather have 4wd atv or just drag it out with a horse. That's a lot of $$ for one i had no idea they are the spendy, but to each his own. We all have our toys/hobbies. 

• Like 1

Calm down.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 10:54 AM, Missouri Mule said:

Yah me either. Start at 25k and go up with extras 

Soooooooooooo - did you get it back yet? is it fixed and fixed right? did they scratch it? are you happy with the results ? 

56 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

Soooooooooooo - did you get it back yet? is it fixed and fixed right? did they scratch it? are you happy with the results ? 

Yep. Got it back. They fixed all warranty defects like I hoped they would. The straps scratched the pipe tubes where they were riding but not through the paint. They said there was no damage and that was not true. The damage was negligent enough I just sucked up my pride and took it home. The salesman apologized and I in turn did as well. I explained why I got so angry and got it off my chest. I'm sure they could clearly see where the straps were but hoped i wouldn't say anything. 

4 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Yep. Got it back. They fixed all warranty defects like I hoped they would. The straps scratched the pipe tubes where they were riding but not through the paint. They said there was no damage and that was not true. The damage was negligent enough I just sucked up my pride and took it home. The salesman apologized and I in turn did as well. I explained why I got so angry and got it off my chest. I'm sure they could clearly see where the straps were but hoped i wouldn't say anything. 

well thas good they took care of things but unfortunate they didnt at least say they were sorry for the miscare in handling your machine. I am guessing if they would have approached it with that kind of attitude it would have went better 😉 I find people on the receiving end are better with someone saying yea we scratched it a little and we are sorry and then give you the option to raise a stink as you wish depending on the degree of damage - usually when you say you are sorry and will take care of things it works out better but unfortunately some people have more pride than others and don't like to admit wrong even when its witnessed. 

that old phrase " is this a hill you want to die on " so we let it go..........

thats another reason im not wild on new stuff, i know i will bend/scrape/gouge/break/dent things and then curse myself when i do - it still disappoints me when i put a new ding/dent in my 17 y/o truck with 305K miles on it so i know what you mean. 

heck i had a tree jump out and grab then bend/break the muffler on my 706 last yr at the end of a field and i was livid with myself - grrrrr 

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

well thas good they took care of things but unfortunate they didnt at least say they were sorry for the miscare in handling your machine. I am guessing if they would have approached it with that kind of attitude it would have went better 😉 I find people on the receiving end are better with someone saying yea we scratched it a little and we are sorry and then give you the option to raise a stink as you wish depending on the degree of damage - usually when you say you are sorry and will take care of things it works out better but unfortunately some people have more pride than others and don't like to admit wrong even when its witnessed. 

that old phrase " is this a hill you want to die on " so we let it go..........

thats another reason im not wild on new stuff, i know i will bend/scrape/gouge/break/dent things and then curse myself when i do - it still disappoints me when i put a new ding/dent in my 17 y/o truck with 305K miles on it so i know what you mean. 

heck i had a tree jump out and grab then bend/break the muffler on my 706 last yr at the end of a field and i was livid with myself - grrrrr 

Yep. I find the older I get the more things like this happen. 🤦‍♂️