Missouri Mule

Hows this for service.

Got a brand spankin new 835R jd gator. Utv, side by side whatever. My mother wanted one with heat and air and by god she bought it. $28k for those that dont understand where I am at here. Well the dealer didnt have all the accessories she bought so they say take it home and they would come pick it up when it all comes in. fair enough....

Ffw to this monday, dealer calls unannounced to pick it up. Sure whatever. I'm at work but have at it. I have security cameras that go straight to my phone. So I glanced at it just to see they got along ok and to make sure they didnt rob me etc. And see the 16yo kid pulling out of my driveway with a 2" ratchet strap slung over her bedsides cranked down with the slack slammed in the door. Now that lights me up right away knowing hes gotta haul that thing 35 miles bouncing around while the strap is digging into the paint and bedsides. I send a text to salesman with video footage of kid pulling away and I say you have got to be kidding me right? I explain this cost us 28k and i  was not ok with this at all. He responded with relax, I'll discuss tie down procedures with their driver. I responded with if there were any damage they are responsible, and that I expect it to be perfect like it was when he picked it up. His response was.... you sure are angry. So I rang him up. He answers... are you having a bad day??? I remain calm and explain basically the same thing over again to which he replies hastily you dont even know if theres damage yet. Every response i got was fairly hasty.  Well the top of my head blew off and I turned 3 shades of red while screaming at him. I cussed him like a dog. Now I will be the first to admit I have a temper and should of handled myself different but wrong day for BS. He never once apologized and took the opportunity to dish it back to me which I did deserve. I hung up on him before things got any worse. I was wrong BUT all he had to say was sorry, let's get the thing here and I'll call you once I've assessed the damage. I would of been ok but Relax??? That just made things worse. And every comment after that was worse. 

You think real hard about writing that check and how would you of reacted? Just curious. 

Ps thankfully I never plan to own anything else green. 

• Sad 1

If they didn’t pay for it, they don’t care. It’s sad and I would have been frustrated also. 

Had a bearing show up last night at work (2000lbs) that was on a pallet crammed all the way up in the front of a sprinter van. Kid hops out wearing some sort of pajamas and starts to wrap a baby sized ratchet strap around the pallet for me to pull it back.  I calmly and politely told this kid that in the future it would be good to strap down the load because “that bearing is worth more than your van”. He responds with “that strap will pull it out, no problem”. I responded with “not here it won’t” and tried to tell him how unsafe it was. He didn’t listen or care as I got appropriate tools to do the job and just went on. I guess he already knew everything 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’ve never been one to tell a man his business unless it becomes a perceived danger to me in which case I feel I have the right to do so. Hopefully he made it back to his Mom’s basement safely to play more video games and have a juice box....

I would have made sure that the salesman knew that “Relax” was not an appropriate response in that situation and informed him that there are better ways to deal with a customer if he ever wanted to see you again. 

• Like 1

Overreacted, yeah probably. Would I have done the same in your situation, yeah probably. Have lost my cool before. Salesman handled it completely wrong and could have diffused instead of throwing gas on the fire. Time to sit back take a breath and have a drink of something calming. If there is some damage from this it will take some tact on your part to get satisfaction. You have video proof that is good. I would look it over good after they are done working on it before it leaves the dealer. i prefer dealing with the owner of the dealership in situations like this. 

• Like 1

1. $28K? Wow...:wacko:

2. It`s green so...:lol:

3. See the trouble technology caused you?:blush:

4. I`d be squalking too. 

5. We were all young and dumb once... some of us still are.

8 minutes ago, MTO said:

4. I`d be squalking too. 

Young or dumb? lol 😂 🤣😂🤣

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MTO said:

4. I`d be squalking too. 

Yah tell me about it. I wanted to puke. Her money but I'm just her logistics man I suppose. My dad is up above screaming at all of us. 🤦‍♂️  I tried to talk her out of it but you just dont tell her NO. 

12 minutes ago, MTO said:

4. I`d be squalking too. 

Oh and MTO your right about technology.  I told my buddy I'd of been much better off not knowing what happened. 

22 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

If they didn’t pay for it, they don’t care. It’s sad and I would have been frustrated also. 

Had a bearing show up last night at work (2000lbs) that was on a pallet crammed all the way up in the front of a sprinter van. Kid hops out wearing some sort of pajamas and starts to wrap a baby sized ratchet strap around the pallet for me to pull it back.  I calmly and politely told this kid that in the future it would be good to strap down the load because “that bearing is worth more than your van”. He responds with “that strap will pull it out, no problem”. I responded with “not here it won’t” and tried to tell him how unsafe it was. He didn’t listen or care as I got appropriate tools to do the job and just went on. I guess he already knew everything 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’ve never been one to tell a man his business unless it becomes a perceived danger to me in which case I feel I have the right to do so. Hopefully he made it back to his Mom’s basement safely to play more video games and have a juice box....

I would have made sure that the salesman knew that “Relax” was not an appropriate response in that situation and informed him that there are better ways to deal with a customer if he ever wanted to see you again. 

Well that's most of the problem. I knew everything at 16 also BUT knew what I should respect. my Dad would of kicked my rear end doing something that lazy and stupid. 

F@ck em I blow up at stupid crap too! What are they gonna do not do biz with you? Big deal I hit up the next in line!

Call the salesman back and see if you can get his blood pressure up. 😀

Could have got a polaris ranger xp1000 for 21k with ac heat and cab, and will run circles around the derpy deere

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Once they get your money you're a stranger.

The whole idea of the disrespect for your property is wrong. The kid should have had instructions before he ever hauled anything. It doesn't matter if it is new or old, you respect other peoples property, and new should be perfect. Doesn't make any difference on the performance if it has a scratch in the paint, I know, that is not the point. It is yours, not theirs, so they should treat it better than the church pulpit. I would have had words too, and they would indeed make it right.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

Could have got a polaris ranger xp1000 for 21k with ac heat and cab, and will run circles around the derpy deere

Not gonna happen. Have had 2 rangers. Both were complete junk after about 300 hrs. Kubota rtv has been industructable. Still have it. She liked the r model gator because of the nice comfy quiet cab. They are nice. Not a jd fan but I enjoy it. 

I think the Deere dealer you deal with is the same as the one I know of ( I don't do anything with them anymore) 

I would have blown a fuse too. The salesman handled it TOTALLY wrong. Kid that picked your Gator up should ride shotgun for a week or more to learn how to load & secure what he hauls.  Your the Customer, it's your $28,000 Gator.  The salesman better act apologetic next time you talk or you better immediately talk with the dealership owner or general manager and have Him explain things to the salesman.

Saw a similar situation guy bought a new little Sub-compact utility tractor, loader, backhoe, 4wd,  truck pulled up in the street facing uphill, tipped to the side by the crown in the road. Steel floor on the truck, tractor slid back and sideways, operator used the loader, hoe and stabilizers to keep the machine from falling on it's side as it slid off the truck bed. He too video'd the situation, and it ended only slightly better than your situation.  I won't say what brand the tractor was but you can probably guess.

Not sure how Deere sells so many Gators,  highest price machine in their market.

Well, thank the mass dealer mergers and hiring help and not paying anything so you get bottom of the barrel crap.

Atleast you got a strap, I worked at a dealer here and they didn't strap anything down...........even after they had a garden tractor fall off the truck on bridge here.  They were nuts.

I am with you on the Gators, like them a lot.

That's the same type of service we got out of the our local AGCO dealer when we bought a skid steer 2 years ago and as a result we are one and done with them.  And that's the same type of crap we got our of our local CIH dealer.  Haven't been back in 30 years.   Salesman was at fault and so were you.  They probably won't miss you and all you can do is protest with your checkbook next time so its probably a wash on who won the battle. 

When I bought my first new truck I was 22 had some issues, great dealer, they sent someone 120 miles to swap me out a loaner and get mine fixed . I said to the salesman, make sure whoever you send is over 50 , because if you send some kid I'm sending him right back with your loaner. I know what would be going on for 120 miles. 

They sent a nice older gentleman with a brief case. I bought him lunch. 

Id deal with Berlin city Chevrolet again any day, they had an opportunity to make me happy or make me mad, they chose to make me happy. The dealership has the opportunity to handle things well or poorly, flipping out is rarely successful at doing anything but raising blood pressure. Expressing extreme displeasure without failing to be a gentleman is an art, I'm still working on it but I'm getting better. Gives you much better ground to stand on when the time comes too. 

Good luck with the gator

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Expressing extreme displeasure without failing to be a gentleman is an art, I'm still working on it but I'm getting better. Gives you much better ground to stand on when the time comes too.

Lots of wisdom in these two statements.

• Like 4

The extra mile is cheap when it comes to buying customers. And falling short cost a heck of a lot more than the repair cost. 

The thing is they made money on the gator probably more than some machinery deals. But to a machinery dealer 28000 is nothing that is like a 20 tab at a restaurant. They have big guys spending many 100,000s repeatedly. I agree they should treat everything with care but you got the low guy on the totem pole to pick it up and mess with it. The good guys are delivering  combines tractors and other high dollar high repair cost units.

I worked for brothers years ago, the older one was hauling their 4-wheeler on a trailer. He threw the ratchet strap over the seat and away he went. Several miles down the road he saw something following him in the ditch. The suspension flexed enough to unhook the strap, 4-wheeler was being dragged by the loose end of the strap that he had tied to the handlebars.

I guess some people just can't be taught at any age.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Service is a funny thing. Local JD dealer got bought out.I stopped in and got great service. All I bought was two tubes of cornhead grease. Old management all I got was ignored.

I'd say the salesman did a better job than I would have. Want to act like an angry little toddler? Fine, you can bring the sxs yourself. Life is too short to deal with short tempered grouches.

Not saying he's right or you're wrong, but get a grip before you blow out an o-ring. You know the old saying "if you want it done right, do it yourself".

• Like 1