Sign in to follow this  
BobinIL

1973, 1066 adjustable steering column

I have a 73 1066 with the 56 style adjustable steering wheel.  Obviously the previous owner used the steering wheel as a grab rail to lift himself out of the seat because it is extremely loose and floppy as well as all the plastic is cracked and broken.  I wold like to just do away with the adjustable system all together but I don't know what all this will entail?  I the adjustable system just added onto a standard steering column or would I need to replace the entire steering tower?  How hard is it to find the plastic pieces to replace all the broken ones if I were to rebuild the adjustable set up?

To change to a a non tilt system will involve removing the steering wheel,  hand pump and lines.  The non-tilt is completely different. The plastic cover for the tilt system is available new.

That is good news looks like I may rebuild it to tighten it up.  Would you know where to get the plastic pieces?

We rebuilt our 1066 one time too it wasn’t that bad.  We had to get bushings for it I think it was all we really needed it helped quite a bit.  Unless dad built up the shaft with brazing rod I’m not sure he was always good at doing stuff like that 

The guy from Texas with all the 1456’s seems to rebuild those tilt columns all the time, maybe he’ll see this and guide you thru it.

34 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

The guy from Texas with all the 1456’s seems to rebuild those tilt columns all the time, maybe he’ll see this and guide you thru it.

Long farms?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Long farms?

There you go, been a long week here...

I know the feeling.....lol

$5 1"od 7/8" id bushing is what you need unless steering shaft is worn too much. To replace one you need a pile of parts. You can buy the plastic cover from many parts dealers. Might as well throw a seal kit in while you have it easy to get to. 

Steering hand pump

4 Steering lines

Casted steering colum mount

Throttle handle

Dust cover

Non tilt steering wheel

All the hardware. 

I have a 66 non tilt setup out of a 1466 id sell. Steering wheel is trashed.

• Like 1

There is a tilt eliminator being manufactured now locally that fits inside the plastic cover and looks exactly like a tilt wheel from the outside. It positions the wheel the same as a straight wheel without having to change anything internally in the column. It will never wear out and can be installed in less than an hour, 15 or 20 minutes if the wheel comes off easily. The tilt knob screws back in and everything looks factory it just will not tilt.

• Like 1