Sign in to follow this  
fordfx413

806 oil pump to cooler o-rings

Does anybody have a fix for leaking oil pump to cooler tube o-rings besides replacing expensive parts? I changed the o-rings several times have have not been successful. Sealant didnt help either. Looks like where the o-ring seals is worn. I was going to try a speedi sleeve, but not sure if that will work. Thanks

There are two different one's on the D361 depending on s/n, but It was pretty common to replace the pipe and cast elbow. Used to sell 8-10 a year. If I remember correct they are an orange seal ring, not a regular o-ring. probably the one nepower is referring to.

I had the same issue on mine. 
I put a thin backer ring on with the oring and it sealed it right up. Any hydraulic shop will have a backer ring for a couple dollars. 

The last time I sold them the elbow was around 60.00 and the tube 80.00 or so. Hate to think what they are now.

We came up with an update, I made new flanges on the lathe with double Orings and we use the red silicone Orings. Heat up the flanges to remove them, clean the tube good and sweat solder the new flanges on with brass. 

How do you access these o-rings?  If the elbow is removed, can the tube be just pulled out at both ends?  Or are they threaded?

On 11/5/2019 at 9:46 PM, 65806 said:

I had the same issue on mine. 
I put a thin backer ring on with the oring and it sealed it right up. Any hydraulic shop will have a backer ring for a couple dollars. 

I'm not familiar with this.  Is the backer ring rubber?  Paper?  Cork?

The backer ring is a thin rubber washer that goes in the oring grove and takes up a little space and it makes your oring just a little tighter. 

I clean up the inside of those parts where the orings ride with a small flap wheel to remove the oring wear mark and then get orings from Caterpillar that are a little bigger , put a lite coat of hi strength grey RTV silacone on the oring and in the housing /very lite . Leave it sit over night and this has done the trick for me on a bunch of them . 

Danny 

Thanks.  How do you access these o-rings?  If the elbow is removed, can the tube be just pulled out at both ends?  Or is it threaded?

Yes, remove the bolt on the tappet access plate and the tube will come out, also the glands on the end of the pipe can be replaced, haven't checked lately but they were available, they are brazed on