Sign in to follow this  
rcb

Which trucks would have had DT360 and a 9 speed?

I'm looking for a DT360 and a 9 speed for a project. It's likely going to be cheaper to buy a whole truck, but not sure which type of trucks likely to have that setup. Anyone know a particular style of truck I ought to look for? Like a box trucks, service, truck, etc? I know a lot of dumps had 9 speeds but with 466s. Unfortunately I don't have room for a 466 so the dt360 is what I'm going to need.

I have never seen one with a 9 speed as most trucks with a 360 would be under cdl required gvw I would think so not air compressor. Used to see a lot listed with a 6 speed.

Trucks came from INTERNATIONAL as a  as Cab andChassis you will find 7.3s in all kinds of application but a 9 speed will be a rare duck in any application

2 hours ago, R190 said:

Trucks came from INTERNATIONAL as a  as Cab andChassis you will find 7.3s in all kinds of application but a 9 speed will be a rare duck in any application

I'm looking for a dt360 rather than the 7.3. I've found several 466s with 9 speeds (6609). Perhaps dt360s simply weren't available the same.

Is the bolt pattern on the back of the 360 the same as a 466? Only reason I ask is because a 9 speed is easy to come by, and I don't think I've ever seen a 9 speed that didn't have an SAE bellhousing. If the back of the 360 and 466 are the same, just get an SAE bellhousing of a 466. If they aren't the same, well, I guess I just gave you a dumb idea.

Ross

Make sure you get an earlier one with out computer controls.I'd look at 4900's

Just thinking out loud here, I’m not a truck guy, I don’t know all the combinations out there.  DT360 + 9 speeds sounds like an odd combo, but I do know there are guys swapping 9,10, and 13 speeds in behind a Cummins 5.9.  I am assuming they are using a lighter transmission for that, one that would also work with a DT360.  If the Cummins 5.9 and the DT360 have the same  bellhousing pattern, then it should be fairly easy to match up the combo you want.

I think a lot of the DT360s out there were in busses and mated to that crappy 6 speed.

2 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Just thinking out loud here, I’m not a truck guy, I don’t know all the combinations out there.  DT360 + 9 speeds sounds like an odd combo, but I do know there are guys swapping 9,10, and 13 speeds in behind a Cummins 5.9.  I am assuming they are using a lighter transmission for that, one that would also work with a DT360.  If the Cummins 5.9 and the DT360 have the same  bellhousing pattern, then it should be fairly easy to match up the combo you want.

I think a lot of the DT360s out there were in busses and mated to that crappy 6 speed.

Oh yeah, it's an easy swap, but buying the parts piece mail is expensive, so I was hoping there might be some combo out there that'd have what i need. The 6609 is only 400ish pounds. I could do a 5spd and a brownie, but a 9 speed by itself would do the same but light overall and less space... though I'd have to add air, but I wanted air for tools and tires anyhow, so not too big an issue.

They did put some seven speeds behind 360's