INTERNATIONAL 1466

Ambac injection pump ?

For the most part all the 66's and 86's I have been around are pretty gutsy and have good response. But there are a few that just seem to fall on their face. My question is what setting in the pump allows a tractor that runs strong and has good power to almost die when you let the clutch out at an idle? On most you can just let the clutch out and go without any hesitation. Are the pumps not all set the same for the most part except for the fuel delivery? I am not an injection pump mechanic, just wondering. Now I don't mean a worn out pump versus a new one. I mean good pumps with good pulling power, just on letting out the clutch.

when the governor ring in them fails they will be sluggish no power but otherwise rpms will be the same Mine went out years ago on my 1086 also a great time to get injectors done 

Back the droop bolt out and tip the torque tab up Matt and this will take care of it . They are just behind and below the fuel screw just under the top cover . 

Danny 

A bad hyd head in the pump can also cause a tractor to seem gutless at low rpm but still make power at high rpm. I've changed a few where that was the problem

Our 360 equipped 886 would die when letting the clutch out at low rpm from brand new.  Pump shop replaced governor pins and recalibrated the pump and made a real tiger out of it.  

The real reason is the design of the governor.  It is what I call a "walking beam or linkage" because until throttle is pulled open and  rpms  have moved the mechanism  , very little increase of fuel can be supplied when factory adjusted.  Reason being so you don't get that huge cloud  of black smoke you got from other pumps like a Roosa Master for instance when you open the throttle from low speed. 

You can over come a good deal of this by taking out or backing off the droop screw but that of course defeats the purpose of the design.  The enviromentelists get real unhappy with that huge cloud of smoke up rapid acceleration so this is one of the things that was implemented to help quiet their noise.   

Not saying I agree with the design, just what it is. 

We have a 1850 loadstar 466 that is doggy like that just bogs at idle.. But I don’t think pump ever has had anything done since 76.  The 1086 we just bought was like that with super old stale fuel. We mixed a little good stuff in and pump is working a lot better.

22 hours ago, Mighty1206 said:

A bad hyd head in the pump can also cause a tractor to seem gutless at low rpm but still make power at high rpm. I've changed a few where that was the problem

We had a 1066 do that.  If the engine was warm it would die if I engaged the PTO for our big square baler very quickly at all without revving the engine up to quarter throttle or so.  Dealer tried adjusting the droop screw to no avail.  Sent the pump up and the problem was a worn pump head.  After that couldn’t kill the engine engaging the baler PTO if you tried.  High end power had always been good though.

Check the rubber hose that goes from the fuel filters to the injection pump is a genuine hose from dealer and hasnt been teplaced with a hydraulic hose .