CubNamedOscar

Kenny Having Problems

A Youtuber I watch is having a bit of rough time getting his Transmission countershaft out. 
maybe someone could go over there and comment some Tips or Expert suggestions.

If he is replacing the shaft anyways it seems to me like two minutes with a cut off disc on an angle grinder would have it off. 
maybe I’m missing something. 

thought this may have been early 39-42 where there are some hidden snap rings...?

cut the gear top bottom with slot 90%   moderate heat and put air wrench back on

if it is that tight he tore up gear with air........ threads are......? already 

20 hours ago, snoshoe said:

Lost cause. Threads are already shot. Cut it off.

I have watched MIKEM use a torch and cut the nut away from the shaft and never hurt the shaft or threads.

Those are usually very tight and can be a bear to get loose but when cherry red and still would not come off, there is something wrong here.

He should have hit the nut after it cooled just a bit (Not cherry red) with the impact and it should have spun right off.

The good nut/pump drive he has appears to be in bad condition. The grooves worn in the seal surface may and may not seal again.

The new seals are very wimpy compared to the old Chicago Rawhide leather seals that ran forever and sealed well.

When I had mine apart, the seal holder was aluminum/pot metal and was stretched. The new seal was to small for the holder and was losse.

I found a used one in cast iron that was not stretched and fit the seal. 

And if he finds a belly pump, the same type of seal and drive coupling should be replaced there too.

Both the transmission and belly pump are standard threads and not reverse threads.

His tool to remove the nut is perfect. Just use a 3/4 drive impact as a 1/2 drive is not up to the job.

He will see if his welding will hold.

Keep us up on the project?

He got the shaft out yesterday.  He cut the coupler in multiple locations with a die grinder and cut off wheel but he nicked the  threads so he is t going to reuse the shaft.