AHKIII

Voltage regulator and generator

Hello, I've got a '52 L-110 with a SD 220 engine, all original wiring, it was running great, drove to work everyday. amp gauge shows 0 power being generated(shows the draw though), tested the generator and the battery is definitely not charging. I think its the regulator circuit breaker and i bought a new regulator, but it doesn't seem to fix the issue. Reinstalled the old on and now its intermittent. Anyone know how to properly install the new one, I'm just some 20 yrold screwing around in my garage and I figured someone out there, well probably anyone, would have more experiance with old truck electrical systems. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Welcome to the forum. Did you polarize the regulator? If not it will cause the problems you are having. With the battery hooked up, I am assuming if the wiring is original it has a positive ground, use a jumper wire and momentarily touch the gen terminal to the bat terminal on the regulator. it should spark. That will set the polarity of the generator to the same polarity of the battery. If polarity is not the same it will not  charge . Hopefully that will fix it.  We all started out young and there is no better truck to cut your teeth on than an IH.

Dennis

Yes, i installed it and polarized the generator through the regulator

thank you for the suggestion though

You have probably already done this but are all your grounds clean and tight?

Dennis

yes, i cleaned them with scotch bright and tightened them, i'm starting to think maybe the 70 year old wire that goes to the BATT side might be fault, probably going to run a new one to see if that fixes it

Hope that works, I'm running out of ideas.😁

Dennis

How did you test the generator ?  

Have you checked the brushes in the generator? Good chance they are wore out. I would guess the generator has a band over the brushes, just pull it and take a look at them. Also run it and see how much arching you have on the commutator as that can give you a good idea what brush contact is like too. If you have a volt meter what is the voltage on the Arm terminal and Field terminal when engine is running at about 1500 rpm.