Volunteers

sandhiller

MTO, your post in my other thread got me thinking about this subject. A lot of work gets done behind the scenes by volunteers who ask for no praise and generally shy away from it yet get the brunt of people b!tch!ng about something they don't like.  We see the same thing here with our Circle C "kids" Rodeo we put on each year. I guarantee those that whine the loudest have never come close to offering to help with something out of the goodness of their heart. And still wouldn't help even if asked. I am planning of making up some of these signs and posting them below our crows nest and at the in and out gate to the arena. Probably won't do any good but those of who are there and enjoy putting on the rodeo for the kids will get a chuckle out of it. 

volunteer.thumb.jpg.d45f271b9e77a53ae1f1b3667a3681c6.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I read a couple weeks ago on another thread, forget who said it, but he stated that 90% of statements/responses to a particular issue made are negative. 

I can buy that.

I sit on a couple boards and was told long ago to use my power on the board to name the complaining individual  as chairman of a committee of their own choosing to resolve their own complaint.

It works!

Have yet to see ONE committee formed. 

I have little time for the "quitters" of the groups I am part of. 

And they know it. 

Am I being negative? Do I need an antidepressant? Do I need counselling?    

I/we are still trying to resolve the used car lot guy using our church lot as his own.

I welded sign posts onto 16" steel bud wheels and poured them full of concrete with signs on each one.

They were stolen or destroyed. 

I don`t like this guy ONE bit. 

• Sad 1

I was on a board for several years. I've heard many complaints about this or that. I stood up in one of our monthly meetings and said " if you want to complain, then put it in writing. You don't have to sigh it if you don't want to. This will be brought to the next officers meeting for discussion and appropriate action as needed. You can leave in these locations. ". We never received anything in writing and the complaining did stop for awhile. But it did start again when new officers were elected

Drove past a fire one night on way to station for engine. Owner came up to me complaining how long it took us to respond. I ask him if he wanted to come fill out application to join fire dept.

BTW we where flowing water before he came out of house. He still hasn't came by. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

Drove past a fire one night on way to station for engine. Owner came up to me complaining how long it took us to respond. I ask him if he wanted to come fill out application to join fire dept.

BTW we where flowing water before he came out of house. He still hasn't came by. 

I know exactly what you mean. My FIL had a house fire, complained of response time as well. Being on said Dept, I looked up dispatch/entourage/on scene times. All volunteer Dept, 9 min from dispatch to truck on scene. He lives 4-5 miles from station. He complained, I thought it was impressive 

• Like 1

I'm also on the vol fire dept. we got toned out for a barn fire. The officers were having a meeting so response time was minimal. One of the members had to drive right by the fire to get to the station and was able to give information to the responding units. The home owner was quite upset that he didn't stop on his way to put the fire out. I looked at him and asked how he was to do that if he didn't have any equipment or water source. Once the fire was out and we got to looking for the cause, he started complaining about our response. We all looked at him and asked him to join the department. He did come to a couple of meetings, but then quit coming. When asked why he quit coming, he said he was just too busy. He lives on a busy county road and if he's not at work, he's at home and you don't see him out. 

Volunteering can take a lot of time. You have to have a passion for it. We all can use the time we volunteer to do something else, we just choose to help out instead of watching and complaining. 

• Like 4

I'm not a volunteer but I was with a friend that is. One day we was coming back from equipment dealer and seen the smoke when he got the call. He took me and said to help. I did and I want to say that it does take a lot. After being there I have a lot respect for any fireman and EMS guys/gals.   Thank you to all of you that do volunteer and to those of that do serve. Thanks 

You fire fighters are awesome folks. Ty for your service to your communities. 

I will say this. Im sure the time between calling  for help and when help arrives surely must be the longest minutes in a distraught owners life. They should know better than to complain but i suppose its human nature coupled with stress......

2 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Im sure the time between calling  for help and when help arrives surely must be the longest minutes in a distraught owners life.

I remember one call in particular. It was middle of January. 30 something miles from town 20 miles from me on not the best road especially in the winter. They had a 6x6 because they are members of a neighboring fire district but it was drained because of winter. She was on the radio pleading with us to hurry about every 5 minutes. It was hard to hear the anguish in her voice as she watched her house burn. We were able to pump water on it to keep if from starting a grass fire or spread to other out buildings but that's about it. I can only imagine it seemed like hours for us to get there. The parents house was not far away and they got up some coffee, and sandwiches and made sure everyone got something before they left. They lost some valuables but got the kids out safe. Very kind and appreciative that we did all we could do. 

• Like 1