Anyone ever see these come up for sale anymore?  Used to see them show their faces about 8 or 9 years ago, but now, pft!  Not a chance. Or if they do, I’m looking in the  wrong place.  Even the newer MTD built Super diesels never seem to show up. Must be lots of people who hang onto them or run them into ground

The 782D was built by MTD for International Harvester. They come up for sale every in once in a while in my area.

I sent you an email about one for sale.

I see them for sale pretty often....... just gotta look for them. 

My local CIH dealer had TWO diesels probably 20 years ago. I didn't have my 982 yet. One was a 1782, other was a Cyclops tractor. The 1782 had been dusted, total engine rebuild, was over $5000 and the Cyclops with half the hours, better condition, couple important MTD improvements was around $3800-$4000.  Bet those prices would be Doubled today.

On 11/2/2019 at 10:18 AM, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Bet those prices would be Doubled today.

For a comparable machine? Or the same machine?  If the same machines, nooooo.  If you had one to sell and found the right idiot you might get $3,000.  Average cost is between $1800 and $2500.  You will see a lot listed online for more, but they don't sell.  They sit. 

My brother has two of the super diesels now. He used to have a 1572 that burned in the barn fire, then a cyclops he sold ten years ago. Last year he got a 1572 and a 1772 if I remember correctly. He might have driven 3-4 hours to get them 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 6:47 PM, J-Mech said:

For a comparable machine? Or the same machine?  If the same machines, nooooo.  If you had one to sell and found the right idiot you might get $3,000.  Average cost is between $1800 and $2500.  You will see a lot listed online for more, but they don't sell.  They sit. 

Wow,  they sure haven't held their value have they.  I've seen several years ago at CC plow days. Travis Schwitser had a nice 1782 turbo that really ran good that he got good money for.

The popularity of zero turn mowers has REALLY kicked the bottom out of the garden tractor market.  Took me 6 hours to mow with my #72 Cub Cadet & 38" deck, low gear, the 3.9 mph 2nd was too fast, 4 hrs with 982 & 50C deck. Took 2-1/2 hours to mow first time with Tank with 27 hp Kawasaki & 54" deck, have mowed in 2 hours a couple times.  Think I can get down to 1-1/2 hours with some pruning of some bushes.

You guys who are running diesel Cubs, how do you find them to start in the cold?  If you keep it inside shed or garage that isn’t heated, do you find the glow plugs are enough to fire it up?  Was wondering if guys are needing to have them in a heated spot in order to start them for winter use?

With the OEM set up, they won't start real good in the cold.  Heck, they don't start great when warm.  But you can do a lot of upgrading on the electrical system and get the to start a lot easier.  The OEM design was very poor, and placed too much load on the ignition switch.

Install gear reduction starter, add relay for glow plugs, upgrade plugs, add ground strap directly to block, replace starter cable,  install block heater, biggest battery that will fit. 

Started mine at 25 deg over the weekend with above upgrades. Block heater not plugged in.   45 seconds on glow plugs, full throttle,  cracked off after 3-4 revolutions.