IHC5488

IH radiators

What are guys options on radiators?  Replace with aftermarket, re-core the original and keep the IH tanks? Cheapest route vs. doing it right and save from pulling it out the second time?  Is there a way to get by for a short time until a permanent repair can be made?  Where do you find a decent aftermarket radiator and who do you stay away from?  

Need help on a 5488. Thanks, Matt

on my equipment if the radiators leak bad I just have them recored not cheap but if the first one lasted 30 to 40 years I hope the recore will last that long to most new ones are not going to last as long as the original one they are just made cheaper

I’ve had good luck with Ap air radiators on my stuff some I get recored if I’m gonna really light a fire in it just so I can get a extra row

I would get the original re-cored, more expensive but definitely with it. From my experience aftermarket radiators are good for a parade tractor and that's about it

Recore if you have a good shop near you. I replaced an 806 radiator that was too far gone. Northern Radiator in Minnesota. Real nice unit, zero problems. 

Hard to find a good radiator shop anymore. Even the one near me doesn't hot tank radiators anymore due to overbearing EPA regulation on the caustic dip they used, and they no longer do recores in house, only repairs. They send them out somewhere to be recored.

I had them recore the old radiator from the 1066 and it came back looking really nice. I keep it in my bedroom closet as a spare for the 10 or 15.

On the replacement side, I have heard extremely good things about Clancy Radiator. They're out of Ireland but they do export and have dealers here in the US. Looking at their catalog they have just about every radiator for every old American tractor.

1 hour ago, IHRedDrive said:

Recore if you have a good shop near you. I replaced an 806 radiator that was too far gone. Northern Radiator in Minnesota. Real nice unit, zero problems. 

I never recore anything unless its one rare bird , the radiator repair shops around here are almost nonexistant and do poor work on large radiators a few yrs ago took one out of my 1460 and had recored and the mounting tabs were off a 1/2 inch and I wasn't driving it 80 miles back to the radiator shop to change it so ended up drilling new holes to install it 

1 hour ago, ksfarmdude said:

I never recore anything unless its one rare bird , the radiator repair shops around here are almost nonexistant and do poor work on large radiators a few yrs ago took one out of my 1460 and had recored and the mounting tabs were off a 1/2 inch and I wasn't driving it 80 miles back to the radiator shop to change it so ended up drilling new holes to install it 

We must be lucky here in KY. Have a good shop in Lexington. They do everything in house, same day usually and send it back painted. Of course, we have two alternator and generator rebuild shops within 5 miles of each other. And those boys keep busy, trucks cars tractors.

The OEM radiator in a 5488 was made by Modine. Think in Milwaukee.  They had a plant around St. LOUIS too. Home office was Doujak, Michigan.  I bought heat exchangers for drinking fountains from them made in Nuevo Larado, Mexico. They sent A full crew of quality people down there for a couple years to get the plant up and running.  Never actually had a quality problem with them.

23 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

The OEM radiator in a 5488 was made by Modine. Think in Milwaukee.  They had a plant around St. LOUIS too. Home office was Doujak, Michigan.  I bought heat exchangers for drinking fountains from them made in Nuevo Larado, Mexico. They sent A full crew of quality people down there for a couple years to get the plant up and running.  Never actually had a quality problem with them.

Do you mean Dowagiac Michigan?

I have had great luck witha radiators from Ireland. Thx-Ace

What is wrong with your Radiator? 

Got that green corrosion?

clogged up ?

i going to take my 560 radiator out to have a radiator shop in Erie ,Pa called Crawford Radiator on east side. Look at it.they will tell what it needs. 

They have been the business since the 1930 ‘ s 

wont go cheap on cooling system. 

70 percent of all engine failures are from cooling system failure 

We have had no aftermarket radiators last at all. I will have to try some of the sources mentioned above if I can't get mine fixed. 

2 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

What is wrong with your Radiator? 

Got that green corrosion?

clogged up ?

i going to take my 560 radiator out to have a radiator shop in Erie ,Pa called Crawford Radiator on east side. Look at it.they will tell what it needs. 

They have been the business since the 1930 ‘ s 

wont go cheap on cooling system. 

70 percent of all engine failures are from cooling system failure 

It's leaking on top right, just below the  upper tank and the hose.  It sits right up against front air by-pass panel. May have just rubbed a hole in it or something.  I don't see any of the fins wet.  Just as I pour antifreeze into it, I can hear it dripping on the floor.

52 minutes ago, IHC5488 said:

It's leaking on top right, just below the  upper tank and the hose.  It sits right up against front air by-pass panel. May have just rubbed a hole in it or something.  I don't see any of the fins wet.  Just as I pour antifreeze into it, I can hear it dripping on the floor.

I would say a competent radiator shop should be able to fix it. And then pressure test it . 

You got someone near you ?  

9 hours ago, IHC5488 said:

Speaking from experience those radiators aren’t fun to pull out on the 50 series

I put a new one from AP Air in my 5488 a couple of years ago, fit was perfect and works real well.

Had one of our 54's leaking just below the top tank, too!   Have a really good radiator shop locally...fixed leak, boiled it out, and repainted it...$400.  They are a bear to take out but fix the original if possible.