Sign in to follow this  
IHhogfarmer

New red iron addition

This is a 1944 McCormick-Deering LB Throttler stationary engine that I’m now the proud owner of.

My interest in stationary engines started out of the blue a couple months back when dad showed my a 1948 LB for $450, 6 1/2 hours away from home all restored. The plan for me to take the trip was going to happen until I had asked my great uncle about these engines and he texted “there are probably a dozen sitting around town”. He directed me to a guy that has several stationaries of different makes and models (he owned my Farmall cub for a while and collecting and restoring equipment is his hobby).  So I went and looked at the engine and it became mine for $300. He restored this engine himself and said that it will start right up. 

I got it a week and a half ago. I was gone most of last week. Yesterday I was able to clean the dust off it and start it up—— it’s a great runner and I was extremely excited when it started it up. The pump jack that is attached to it also runs very well. 

1BECEC4A-E723-45BF-A337-245812142217.thumb.jpeg.87e7b4de584a0906cecbe283a91e8ef6.jpeg

D1C60775-FCD7-4798-A0D5-01F4DCB339C0.thumb.jpeg.397a7358aeb5237fecedcfc033a11af6.jpeg

E43F112B-63BB-4354-963B-D2CABAC06E9C.thumb.jpeg.59a77ee99b8cb3422378e629780ffe9b.jpeg

this is when I first went to look at it.

D371FA88-817D-4DB4-880B-590EC6A87A51.thumb.jpeg.908288947b3777e2b70c0bb7c08e4c4c.jpeg

8988F014-DB4B-49AF-888D-F16EF62F9166.thumb.jpeg.33ad142c0d077dd4f3fdb2b926b0f580.jpeg

0BBD88CA-7754-4341-B8C3-B6CE4F4D5A3F.thumb.jpeg.a8b367c6b35e328f65119288e1230ce4.jpeg

42EC23DC-7992-4949-95D6-4284C5D13D4B.thumb.jpeg.9f75ae3bc22b5f37875137120e094160.jpeg

CE5775B0-AF03-4A09-93C6-65277ABFFAC1.thumb.jpeg.9299477086d9c1b21cbd96ac12a20199.jpeg

1EB1E450-FD57-4023-AF8F-275F0BEDAAA3.thumb.jpeg.a59774d1783113b35cc9a45b6985d35a.jpeg

A802F142-9567-4339-B47D-150718065EAC.thumb.jpeg.246d41cde5a6aa062f66e25b2f4b9d87.jpeg

These are as of tonight after doing a little cleaning on it. As I said before I am a very proud owner😁

• Like 8

That’s cool. Seems like a very reasonable price also. You need to fashion an ice cream maker to run with it. You’ll have all sorts of new friends show up. 😊

• Like 3

Tell us more.  What is the extra mechanism and flywheels for?  My stationary engine collection is only a JD 3 hp E, two Fairbanks Morse Z engines, and one Lauson engine.

My neighbor Jack was my 4H small engine instructor and in the first few years he had some hit and miss engines to show us on. The visual display when completed assembled is helpful to showing the workings of an engine 

Yeah I was happy with how the price turned out. I’d like to find something that it can run at some point. But the main focus right now is to use this as an FFA project, I want to build a wagon for it and I’ll start that in later December. I’ll be posing that in the project, builds, restorations, side of the forum. 

Heres an idea of what I’d like to try with my engine. This is just from the internet. 

D015F83E-4FA3-4D9C-BA31-F85F2CECB4CD.thumb.png.456d25cc6b6220df9a36824027413f4b.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Tell us more.  What is the extra mechanism and flywheels for?

A pump jack, was just optional equipment. This is so you could set it in a pasture or where ever and place it to pump water or oil- something along those lines. The crank like piece that comes from between the flywheels and up on top of the black magneto cap is to engage the pump jack, it can be engaged and disengaged as the engine is running. 

Nice engine! The engine is probably worth the $300. The pump pumpjack makes it a steal IMO. A couple of decals and a lid for the hopper and it will be perfect. If you want to be able to display it doing something, buy a pump and connect it. The pump can recirculate water from a washtub. 

• Thanks 1

I would like to find a running LB in her workin clothes, for a secret project.

Mike

12 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

Nice engine! The engine is probably worth the $300. The pump pumpjack makes it a steal IMO. A couple of decals and a lid for the hopper and it will be perfect. If you want to be able to display it doing something, buy a pump and connect it. The pump can recirculate water from a washtub. 

The one on Craigslist had decals, I found a set on eBay I’d like to get. The hopper I’ve looked for a little. Would you happen to know if a hopper lid off an LA engine would fit for an LB? Just curious to know when I come across something

You got the pump jack -nice!

I bought a basket case LA about a year ago and it was a perfect little winter project for me and my grandfather, who isn't as mobile these days. rebuilt the mag and that was just about all it needed. New spark plug wire too. Then I bought another basket case LA with a pump jack attached at an auction in Iowa last spring. My next step is getting the pump jack rebuilt. It's a wee bit rusty (by that I of course mean super rusty).

14 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Ice cream?????  Where??  When??

Go back to sleep Jeff, you’re dreaming 😴😴  💤 💤

(Whispering); but seriously, when and where? Ssh🤫🤫

18 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Whispering); but seriously, when and where? Ssh🤫🤫

Would you like me to send you a pm with the info? 

Seriously if someone can get an ice cream maker or if I can find one this should totally happen—— just had a though maybe if I could put together something and have it at Huron for RPRU🤔

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KWRB said:

You got the pump jack -nice!

I bought a basket case LA about a year ago and it was a perfect little winter project for me and my grandfather, who isn't as mobile these days. rebuilt the mag and that was just about all it needed. New spark plug wire too. Then I bought another basket case LA with a pump jack attached at an auction in Iowa last spring. My next step is getting the pump jack rebuilt. It's a wee bit rusty (by that I of course mean super rusty).

The guy I got this engine from has three others- 1947 LB with a pump jack , and two 1937 LA’s one with a jack and the other is not all there but may be a good parts donor. The other LA from what I can see from just looking at it, needs a new mag cap, the engine is free and needs a good cleaning. 

6 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

The one on Craigslist had decals, I found a set on eBay I’d like to get. The hopper I’ve looked for a little. Would you happen to know if a hopper lid off an LA engine would fit for an LB? Just curious to know when I come across something

I think that the lids are the same. Someone has had some cast,because I have seen quite a few for sale but I'm not sure who has them. 

24 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

The guy I got this engine from has three others- 1947 LB with a pump jack , and two 1937 LA’s one with a jack and the other is not all there but may be a good parts donor. The other LA from what I can see from just looking at it, needs a new mag cap, the engine is free and needs a good cleaning. 

Are they available? Where?

About 5 minutes from me, in the same shed that I got mine. I’m not sure if those are for sale or not 

45 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

I think that the lids are the same. Someone has had some cast,because I have seen quite a few for sale but I'm not sure who has them. 

I found one on eBay for an LA for $75 but I won’t get that one, too many $$$ for one piece 

• Thanks 1

I just looked and found a nice looking repo for $20. Flywheelranger is the seller. I have no ties/connection nor knowledge about him. 

• Thanks 1

Update: 

The guy I bought the engine from has an original manual for the LB engine that he will let me have. 

I wanted to find a set of decals and a hopper lid to complete the look of my engine. I purchase repros of both items from eBay. 

Next I found a IH LB engine brochure or eBay as well.... dated 1946 according to a list I found on here. I was glad to get this as it shows different attachments, optional equipment and specs about these engines. And this adds to my small literature collection haha! 

All told I purchase these three items off eBay for $69 with free shipping! 

4CDBB4E5-226F-41D4-A890-CACDD9E3E040.thumb.jpeg.ba323bb4ad8949058b8c02eace93482f.jpeg

• Like 7

Cub cadet original or 70-100 restored would make a good pair with that engine on a set of running gear.  

• Like 1