Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mike56073

5488 inline pump help needed

Recommended Posts

My 5488 has the inline pump.  There’s a check valve on the return going back to the tank, this check valve is threaded into an elbow which is threaded into the pump.  Last week the threads on the check valve broke, after that was fixed then the elbow itself broke off.  I suspected something was vibrating too much in the pump, so I replaced it with a brand new NOS pump.

     Tonight I used the tractor for the first time since the pump replacement, it was like a completely different tractor, it ran better, cooler, and quieter.  About 3 hours into the field I smelled diesel, and noticed that the elbow had broke off the pump again.  This was a new elbow that came on the new pump.

    Am I overlooking something?  The check valve threads to the return hose which goes back to the tank.  The injector return line is tee’d into the return line as well. Tommorrow I’ll make sure the return line is clear, but after that I’m at a total loss.....

0D986034-0DF7-43C0-A811-3DB86B794F1C.jpeg

42206809-311B-4B7F-844C-8EBBC0E655F2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that a pump with a brace on the back of the pump to the block? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, bitty said:

Is that a pump with a brace on the back of the pump to the block? 

No it isn’t, at at least as far as I can tell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mike56073 said:

No it isn’t, at at least as far as I can tell

Just wondering if it has excessive vibration for some reason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dale560 said:

Maybe balance pulley going bad?

I thought of that too, but this engine got a new balancer 100 hours ago with the overhaul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike56073 said:

I thought of that too, but this engine got a new balancer 100 hours ago with the overhaul.

Was it an aftermarket one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mighty1206 said:

Was it an aftermarket one?

Yes It was.  It was a new one from Worthington Ag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the balancer was bad, wouldn’t the timing marks be off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure that that is your problem but, haven't heard much good about aftermarket balancers. Have a guy in the area that overhauled a 986 put 150-200 hours on it and the hub in the aftermarket balancer broke completely off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mighty1206 said:

I'm not sure that that is your problem but, haven't heard much good about aftermarket balancers. Have a guy in the area that overhauled a 986 put 150-200 hours on it and the hub in the aftermarket balancer broke completely off

I can check tomorrow with a mirror, I know I match-marked the hub to the outside when I installed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a big heavy fitting to have hanging off the pump that far away from the mount.  Is there a support that comes from the block to the rear of the pump?  If that were mine, I would use a short piece of rubber line between the pump and that fitting to absorb the harmonics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

That’s a big heavy fitting to have hanging off the pump that far away from the mount.  Is there a support that comes from the block to the rear of the pump?  If that were mine, I would use a short piece of rubber line between the pump and that fitting to absorb the harmonics.

That’s what I did yesterday, I had a short piece of hydraulic hose made up to put in between the pump and check valve.  I used the tractor for 5 hours last night, and so far, it’s holding.   It just sucks because it’s to the point where I don’t trust the tractor right now, every time the fuel line breaks it makes a huge mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike , I'm thinking you have a vibration in that motor , my 5388 has that same pump on it and no trouble . Might what to get a good used OEM front pulley and put it on . Maybe get your 5288 out and run it at full speed or at the rpm your 5488 runs under load and put your hand on the motor to see how much vibration you have , then try the 5488 at the same rpm ? 

Just a thought 🤔

Danny 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The elbow is not getting over tightened in order to get things lined up, is it? I doubt it is made of high quality alloy,  maybe try a hydraulic grade fitting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Mike , I'm thinking you have a vibration in that motor , my 5388 has that same pump on it and no trouble . Might what to get a good used OEM front pulley and put it on . Maybe get your 5288 out and run it at full speed or at the rpm your 5488 runs under load and put your hand on the motor to see how much vibration you have , then try the 5488 at the same rpm ? 

Just a thought 🤔

Danny 

I will try that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's the problem - hydraulic hose.  It's way too stiff and unforgiving on that fitting, any vibration is being transferred thru the hose & right to the fitting, rather than being absorbed by the hose.  A short, stiff hydraulic hose won't have the length to conform around what bends are needed, so it's putting additional strain on the fitting.

I know this is not the same as the rotary Ambac 100 pumps that require the special fuel hose between the fuel filters and injection pump, but, I believe you need a low pressure hose built for your application, something that does not have a wire braid in the hose.  Get a low pressure hose made, a new fitting, and I am confident you'll eliminate your problem.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason I thought the hyd hose would work was it would be the same or close to that solid steel fitting . I think that return fitting is adjusted to 60 ish psi . That nylon renforced hose should work too, just need to get that vibration out of that solid mounted return fitting .

Danny 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nebraska1206 said:

There's the problem - hydraulic hose.  It's way too stiff and unforgiving on that fitting, any vibration is being transferred thru the hose & right to the fitting, rather than being absorbed by the hose.  A short, stiff hydraulic hose won't have the length to conform around what bends are needed, so it's putting additional strain on the fitting.

I know this is not the same as the rotary Ambac 100 pumps that require the special fuel hose between the fuel filters and injection pump, but, I believe you need a low pressure hose built for your application, something that does not have a wire braid in the hose.  Get a low pressure hose made, a new fitting, and I am confident you'll eliminate your problem.

Just buy the hose through CASEIH, still available and nice and flexible, there should be a support clamp at the back of the block for that hose where the injector return line tees in.  Pretty sure there is an orifice in the hose fitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was changing a water hose on the combine today and was looking at that hose. Mine has two clamps that support it that are going over to intake bolts. Not sure why you could not add them to yours if they are not there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, superih said:

Just buy the hose through CASEIH, still available and nice and flexible, there should be a support clamp at the back of the block for that hose where the injector return line tees in.  Pretty sure there is an orifice in the hose fitting.

It does have an orifice in it, and that hose has always been installed, along with the clamp.  The short section of hydraulic hose has been working in between the check valve and the pump.  I also installed a new OEM balancer as a precaution.  So far so good with all of that.

     I should actually say so far so good with all of that........until something started knocking bad tonight, I’m hoping the drive hub broke, and nothing more.

    When it rains it pours

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mike56073 said:

It does have an orifice in it, and that hose has always been installed, along with the clamp.  The short section of hydraulic hose has been working in between the check valve and the pump.  I also installed a new OEM balancer as a precaution.  So far so good with all of that.

     I should actually say so far so good with all of that........until something started knocking bad tonight, I’m hoping the drive hub broke, and nothing more.

    When it rains it pours

What drive hub?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...