Sign in to follow this  
560Dennis

Kilbros. Wagon bulk grain hopper cruising down the road

I think it rare to have a a truck pull a kilbros grain wagon running gear at 45 to mph . 

Just don’t think it’s possible but this set up was going straight as could be with that set up. 

Tires were inflated, so about contact was clean Three or four inches of contact. 

I could not believe how smooth that set was .

also had a slow moving vehicle 🚗 sign on it 

but-its a wow! 

Wow sure hope it was empty. There's no way I would even think about pulling like that empty or even part loaded.

Dad bought only Montgomery Ward running gears.

He ordered one out of the catalog.All parts came banded together. Some assembly required.

They would trail at 60 with no issues empty. If you drove straight, it would follow like it was supposed to.

An "Electric" running gear seemed the worst. It would whip behind a tractor in road gear.

Dad bought a brand new Oliver 8 ton running gear and 150 bushel flare box wagon, both were Electric Wheel painted Oliver green. Pulled it 25 miles home 45-50 mph and it trailed straight as a string. The 6-cyl C20 pickup couldn't pull it any faster.

Maybe 6-8 years before that Dad bought a Gehl 5 ton running gear. Only 10-15 miles home but the old F-350 pickup ran 60-65 with it.  You have to keep a hairpin in the hitch pin pulling something that fast.

Now our old hayrack and the other old flarebox wagon both had loads of slop in the steering linkage. 15-20 mph tops.

These two kilbros wagons will go down the road empty, in tandem at 40 mph no problem.

B6CEC474-6F6F-4A91-B228-6BB44A05CE18.jpeg

• Like 2

If you exceed whatever the speed limit is for smv equipped machinery cops in Illinois give you a ticket now.

51 minutes ago, billonthefarm said:

These two kilbros wagons will go down the road empty, in tandem at 40 mph no problem.

B6CEC474-6F6F-4A91-B228-6BB44A05CE18.jpeg

This unit was not as big as these , had to smaller but the the colors are correct 

14 hours ago, jass1660 said:

If you exceed whatever the speed limit is for smv equipped machinery cops in Illinois give you a ticket now.

Thats the law and I am ok with that.  These get pulled with a truck on very rare occasion and not very fast, but they can!  

Some years back I met a neighbor dragging a similar setup as mentioned above at breakneck speed and later asked how in the world he was able to go that fast without whipping around.  He grinned and said that 25-35 range was the hardest to overcome.  Give'er the business and past 35 she'll trail right behind no problem.   Keep in mind he is one of those "lucky" people that can get away doing super sketchy things like that. The rest of us would have been dead or in jail long before. 

23 hours ago, jass1660 said:

So you can’t have a smv on any international tractor every 06,56 66 ,88 series I got go over 25

10 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

So you can’t have a smv on any international tractor every 06,56 66 ,88 series I got go over 25

It's legal to 25. I would guess there is a percentage that can be over maybe 10% ? before they would bother. It is something that PA is cracking down on also although I thought the law was just changed slightly

1 hour ago, Thesd5488 said:

how in the world did you do that? clutched downhill? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

how in the world did you do that? clutched downhill? 

3k rpm and 20.8 r38s will get them scooting right along.

• Like 1

Slowest one we got is the 706 it goes right at 26 806 1206 1456 on 20.8 radials will go either side of 30 5488 will go 28 by gps on planter

I see.....Well i think i will keep my RPMs lower and speeds too, like my old horse/buggy trainer said - the faster you go the bigger the crash!!!

• Like 2

On 10/27/2019 at 7:22 PM, Thesd5488 said:

Slowest one we got is the 706 it goes right at 26 806 1206 1456 on 20.8 radials will go either side of 30 5488 will go 28 by gps on planter

How fast did your tricycle go? 😂

1 hour ago, ihrondiesel said:

I gotta have four wheels for safety reason limits are put there to be tested 

3 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

That might be a good question to ask his dad next time I see him.  

If it has a screw you can turn to make it go faster or blow more smoke Darin found it at the age of 5.

On 10/27/2019 at 7:06 PM, bitty said:

It's legal to 25. I would guess there is a percentage that can be over maybe 10% ? before they would bother. It is something that PA is cracking down on also although I thought the law was just changed slightly

Back in January of this year in NY Cuomo got our speed limit with SMV signs changed from 25mph to 35mph. 

6 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

I gotta have four wheels for safety reason limits are put there to be tested 

sounds like u better get out the screwdriver and pliers, crank them babies up to 3500rpms and add some 520/85R42 

On 10/27/2019 at 7:21 PM, ZachGrant said:

3k rpm and 20.8 r38s will get them scooting right along.

It will get them a hole in the side of block at warp speed also. Usually a nice fist shape on no1. That in turn knocks the super high  speed and ultra power inj  pump clean off side of engine. 

12 minutes ago, dale560 said:

It will get them a hole in the side of block at warp speed also. Usually a nice fist shape on no1. That in turn knocks the super high  speed and ultra power inj  pump clean off side of engine. 

Alot of 14 series combines run near 3000 high idle.  My 1460 was 2900... I dont think it's quite that dramatic every time. 

12 minutes ago, ZachGrant said:

Alot of 14 series combines run near 3000 high idle.  My 1460 was 2900... I dont think it's quite that dramatic every time. 

2840. Dad used to run his at 3000 3100. Didn’t last either didn’t get any more harvest done either. Put 4 balance pulleys on and finally a different motor after that  one didn’t make it no more.  Usually pretty catastrophic on a ihc engine running fast for more than a bit. Said it before there is a formula for feet per second of bearing and piston speed. That is what does the rod bearings in. With their stroke and bearing size then speed it is a grenade waiting to blow when you speed them up. The rod bolts usually tear off when the bearing is about done though.

if you do the math and run a 5488 at 3500 rpm Over 2800. with 20.8 tires. You get a 20% speed increase that gets you 3.7 on the 18.5 so about 22.2 mph. 4000 rpm gets you 6.2 mph more so still not 25 mph maybe at 5000 rpm

A72A7342-F09F-4C27-B88D-A36A4513D307.png