MTO

This may be like an oil thread but...

H to 80 was talking about milk replacer and his dog and made me think... yeah right.

Anyhow, I was advised by neighbor dairy to use Cargill Herdfirst milk replacer which I`m trying on this new calf.preview HF 22-20 bag

I always used Kalmbach  (the bag is colored like a holstein) in the past, as it was available easier/closer than other brands.

Maybe no big differences but what do you guys use?

And like Sandhiller said, it sure smells yummy!

We have a pasteurizer and used our waste milk from the treated cows. Has work much better than milk replacer for us . We had used Purina previously to that

only place we can get it with in 2 hrs was CT brand of the month

that is how we got messed up non medicated as .....your dog?

It may or may not be better. It depends on the ingredients. Most good ones are about  $80 for a 50 pound bag. A 22-20  is good for calves up to maybe 3 weeks old. Then switch to a 20-20 just because it will cost a little less.  Main things necessary for the calf is it had colostrum within a couple hours after it was born. That is past history, you have to deal with what you have. Keep him dry, with fresh air and out of any draft. Offer him a starter dry feed right away. Gets his stomach going sooner. No hay until 4-5 weeks old. Make SURE the milk replacer and starter feed has a coccidiostat in it like lasocid,  monensin, decoquinate ,or some others I don't remember the names. Also, the protein source in the milk replacer needs to be milk based, not plant based until they are about 3 weeks old. The label will say. Have fun.. 

• Thanks 1

we use Kalmbach milk replacer. One of our sons works there.

Get hi-nutra

I'll have to look at the bag when I get home. A couple years ago I had a twin abandoned over the weekend so couldn't get milk replacer in town. All neighbor had was lamb milk replacer. I tried it it and damn if it didn't work real well. Calf did good on it and his sh!t didn't stink like with the calf repl. Thought about staying with it but local feed store didn't keep it on hand like calf repl. 

On the flip side got a couple 50# bags straight dehy milk give to me. Had to chip out of bag and wouldn't mix for nothin' . Never use it again even if it's free. 

The best way to handle this Mark, take a rubber glove full of the stuff, tape it to your belly button with gorilla tape or use staples, hot glue or nails. Then prick the end of the 4 fingers, with a tiny pin, like the one your wife would use to pin up flowers to dry or something. Then on your hands and knees go out in the pasture and make lots of cow noises “MOOOO, MOOOOOOO, MOOOO” the calf should take to you and go for the glove full of fake milk, if it doesn’t work at first Moo louder and more frequently, eventually it will take to you. But the best way to succeed is to have your wife video tape you doing this, then post it here and we all can give helpful suggestions based on the video. 

We are all here for to help! Help us help you 😉

P.S.

if you have a really fussy calf , and you want to try a sample to see which one he likes better you can do the above only with 4 rubbers instead of one glove, fill each with a different kind of substitute, I would use grape cool aid in at least one as a baseline. 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

The best way to handle this Mark, take a rubber glove full of the stuff, tape it to your belly button with gorilla tape or use staples, hot glue or nails. Then prick the end of the 4 fingers, with a tiny pin, like the one your wife would use to pin up flowers to dry or something. Then on your hands and knees go out in the pasture and make lots of cow noises “MOOOO, MOOOOOOO, MOOOO” the calf should take to you and go for the glove full of fake milk, if it doesn’t work at first Moo louder and more frequently, eventually it will take to you. But the best way to succeed is to have your wife video tape you doing this, then post it here and we all can give helpful suggestions based on the video. 

P.S.

if you have a really fussy calf , and you want to try a sample to see which one he likes better you can do the above only with 4 rubbers instead of one glove, fill each with a different kind of substitute, I would use grape cool aid in at least one as a baseline. 

You depraved, cruel, heartless such and such.

How could you do that to poor, innocent Mark?  I mean, come on, would I do that to you?

Oh, wait, nevermind.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

oh the vet bills, when glove goes dry and it wants moooore!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, WaynefromWi said:

The protein source in the milk replacer needs to be milk based, not plant based until they are about 3 weeks old. 

This is probably the best advice when dealing with milk replacer.  Plant based protein sources such as soy will go through them like they were geese. 

• Like 1

This is good stuff and you don't have to staple no damn rubber gloves to your belly button, just buy it and feed it. Calves on this sold with the rest on sale day and you couldn't pick them out. Bout $80 per #50 iirc.

IMG_20191025_013136399.thumb.jpg.ff503eb0db2d3b7b8ef43e4fe6796f00.jpg

12 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

P.S.

if you have a really fussy calf , and you want to try a sample to see which one he likes better you can do the above only with 4 rubbers instead of one glove, fill each with a different kind of substitute, I would use grape cool aid in at least one as a 

On another note ....... be careful the bull isnt around with all your Mooooooooo'in you may get more than you bargained for .......just sayin ......Nevermind !!!

HP 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Hot Plug said:

On another note ....... be careful the bull isnt around with all your Mooooooooo'in you may get more than you bargained for .......just sayin ......Nevermind !!!

HP 

We missed seeing you at Redpower Roundup ......

13 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

P.S.

I hate you...

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, bitty said:

We missed seeing you at Redpower Roundup ......

I sure didn`t!

• Haha 2

Must be you're awake out in your garage today Mark . I've been waiting some between loads chopping some far away corn

7 minutes ago, bitty said:

Must be you're awake out in your garage today Mark . I've been waiting some between loads chopping some far away corn

Oh yeah, putting 4 ball joints in yet ANOTHER pos Come-A-Part Dodge. 

1 minute ago, MTO said:

The one I drove they'd fall apart on their own ........ they seem that loose anyway

my aunt/uncle kept a couple old brown swiss and a jersey around for milk replacement product 😉

regarding ball joints, they all wear out at some point 😉 i use the moog and there is another company that makes lifetime guaranteed ones so only have to pay for the parts once just have to cover the labor. 

5 minutes ago, MTO said:

Lol .....  poooooor  mark ..... get off the puter you'll get more work done !!!

HP  

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Hot Plug said:

Lol .....  poooooor  mark ..... get off the puter you'll get more work done !!!

HP  

lunch break... unpaid though

1 minute ago, MTO said:

lunch break... unpaid though

Must be nice I don't get a lunch break out in the chopper.