Sign in to follow this  
from H to 80

97' ih truck

I am looking at a 1997 7900 ih -navistar truck to turn into a grain truck it is advertised at 260 H.P. how much can a person turn these up and what does it take ?  My old 82' is getting tiired but i would likw at least 300H.P.

It is most likely a 4900 series.  It most likely has an electronic DT466 with a HEUI fuel system.  They used the DT530 for most applications where they wanted 300 horse or better.  At work we have the 466 and 530 and they are tough and reliable.  Most issues are with injectors and the high pressure oil system.  I would think it would take a software flash of some sort to turn it up.  I have not heard of this with the Navistar engines but it is common place for the other brands so I would think you could seek out the right person.  At work we have a feed mixer body on a 4900 with a 530 at 300 horse. Allison Transmisson 6 something rear end ratio.  Loaded it weighs between 50 and 60 k it it gets along okay.  It has 32000 hours has been overhauled twice.  First time an injector blew a tip and took out a sleeve.  Second time using water needed a head gasket but it had25k hours since last overhaul so it got inframed.