Sign in to follow this  
Gearclash

06-86 Driveline Question

What does the forward transmission housing of the IH hydro tractors (like a 186) look like?  Do they have the same pto gear arrangement?  Cover under the pto gear?

I think the 66 series and up run the dry bolster up front. You could have a machinist bore a hole through the front bolster and you could run something off the front of the engine crank shaft.

23 hours ago, Gearclash said:

What does the forward transmission housing of the IH hydro tractors (like a 186) look like?  Do they have the same pto gear arrangement?  Cover under the pto gear?

Here's a picture of a hydro

IMG_20191024_155413789.jpg

• Thanks 1

Okay, a question about the hydro anatomy.  I see the hydro trans appears to have the same bolt on cover on the bottom.  Are those mounts for what I am assuming are the hydro and motor servos mounted to that plate or are they part of the case?

• Like 1

Guys I realize that this is a  "Red"  forum,  and I love the old red tractors/equipment.

But,  there may just come a time when a person needs to buy a John Deere 3010-4020.......they came from the factory with a front PTO shaft.

When I was a kid we had a Deere 50 front mount mower (driven with the front PTO) and a New Idea hay conditioner hooked to the rear of a 4020.....it worked fine.

No room in the feed alley for one of these?

4ACDB76F-FF36-4DDF-991D-0038E66887F2.thumb.png.297d486fd81112092d5024b36360298c.png

1 hour ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

Guys I realize that this is a  "Red"  forum,  and I love the old red tractors/equipment.

But,  there may just come a time when a person needs to buy a John Deere 3010-4020.......they came from the factory with a front PTO shaft.

When I was a kid we had a Deere 50 front mount mower (driven with the front PTO) and a New Idea hay conditioner hooked to the rear of a 4020.....it worked fine.

4320 and I think the big ones 45/46 had front pto. A 4320 would be what you need. I completely forgot about these.

11 hours ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

What RPM did that front PTO spin at?  1000?  Engine speed?  Was it independent of the rear PTO?

9 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

What RPM did that front PTO spin at?  1000?  Engine speed?  Was it independent of the rear PTO?

I'm pretty sure it was a 1000,  and it was not independent of the rear.

No green tractors for me . . . not that I think they are junk, they’re not for the most part. I like to have as much commonality as possible in what little equipment I have.  If I were to go with a tractor that had a factory front PTO, I would find another MX Maxxum.  I will have to evaluate the Bi-Di as a possibility though.