Sign in to follow this  
Gearclash

06-86 Driveline Question

This is a long shot, I know, may not be practical. But. Is there a place in the internal PTO driveline on these tractors where is might be possible to add another power take off?  The purpose would be to supply shaft power to a front PTO. Hydraulic power won’t cut it, and I’m not sure how well It would work to take the power of the rear PTO as there will be another PTO load back there that will need to be independently controlled. This would be a system in near daily use so reliability is critical. Modern front PTO take their power from the front of the engine.  

I'm not a mechanic but I'm fairly sure......your not going to make that happen.  The live shaft is burried through the center of the speed trans and and the covers in the side, such as were a 4wd box would go, couldn't ever access that shaft. 

29 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

I'm not a mechanic but I'm fairly sure......your not going to make that happen.  The live shaft is burried through the center of the speed trans and and the covers in the side, such as were a 4wd box would go, couldn't ever access that shaft. 

Well, that’s why I ask.  I haven’t been into one these tractors either.  It seems to me the best place to catch PTO power would be in TA housing where the service pump is.  I’m not afraid of making some serious modifications to the housings to make it work, but if its more cost effective to find a newer tractor that has front PTO then that is the way I would go.  I’m just kind of partial to older iron for this particular job.

I have to agree with Stronger.

I know for sure on the 06/56/66 series IH's the PTO is buried deep.

For what you want, a bi-directional would do the trick.

You could if you took an old case bottom cover ,keep yours just in case and  removed the portion under pto driven gear and made a box to mount under with correct gear. You would be running off bottom of pto driven gear. Doable with some though and engineering. Can’t find the spot for pto drive gears to explain.

5AD6D593-1879-43EC-8541-9BF592A12212.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I have to agree with Stronger.

I know for sure on the 56/66 series IH's the PTO is buried deep.

For what you want, a bi-directional would do the trick.

It might.  The hydro drive would be nice.  If it doesn’t burn up on me. The bi di that is. 😲

Does there exist a power train schematic like this for the IH tractors?  This is the CIH  MX Maxxum small frame power train. 

5DB2B489-3FFA-4D7F-9A8A-283F77FEF5BA.jpeg

It wouldn’t be hard now looking at it. Remove part of trans brake cover. Build a box to fit there with another pto driven gear in it with a cutoff of pto drive. You have splines and bearing. Build the box big enough you could mount a 656 pto unit on front side and have all you need but it would hang low about 1.5 ft of ground clearance. 

F855307A-CFD0-4E6C-9E2C-1E3AB0F3BEE2.jpeg

435408A5-6412-49D7-BBED-54E6BED10715.jpeg

4099CE3F-62EE-4413-B9AA-30B2185661E2.jpeg

So is everything on this lower shaft constant velocity?  Looks like tapping this would be the most logical thing to do. Ground clearance isn’t a huge issue. 

43D8AA2D-308C-4F96-8B93-774626EF6589.jpeg

Yes this gear. Later tonite I will draw you up a plan to use used ihc parts. It will be backwards though maybe right way for you though

1877BC5B-0C8D-4144-B95C-2364730B9A29.jpeg

1 minute ago, Mighty1206 said:

15718588271387385926984273902683.thumb.jpg.c70e1f845a9e37d71456bb7c5b84d6d8.jpg

2+2's have a housing that bolts to the bottom of the TA housing to run there power steering pump

Well there you go learn something new every day. You would have to have a wider gear made and figure the speed but that sure is what you need there.

• Like 1

Thanks much for the ideas and schematics so far!  It does look like a viable idea, and what’s better, it looks like something, once built, could be reasonably easily transferred from one tractor to another. 

Does anybody know how many teeth the pto drive gear has in the pressure plate? I wanna say 17 but I could be wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Does anybody know how many teeth the pto drive gear has in the pressure plate? I wanna say 17 but I could be wrong. 

What are you going to run on the front pto?

Now don’t laugh, but I have reasons to want to have a bale processor on the front of a tractor so I can pull something else pto drive on the rear at the same time. 

What about the shaft in the rearend that runs the pto why not put a gear or sprocket on it

what other kind of contraption do you want to pull behind the tractor while you are running a bale processor on the front?  what kind of bale processor? something you have modified like one for a SS mount for a loader? the SS ones are hydraulic drive so i dont see why a hydraulic drive one wouldnt work on a tractor. 

Get the bi-di.  I have a FNH 9030, and it will be the last tractor off my farm. Use it for everything.  The 4x4 and hydro make it ideal for livestock "anything". 

A gear the same size as that driven gear would give you a 1000 pto. Half that size would be approximately 540.

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

what other kind of contraption do you want to pull behind the tractor while you are running a bale processor on the front?  what kind of bale processor? something you have modified like one for a SS mount for a loader? the SS ones are hydraulic drive so i dont see why a hydraulic drive one wouldnt work on a tractor. 

Needs to be a blower processor so I can use it in a feed lane. 

4 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Now don’t laugh, but I have reasons to want to have a bale processor on the front of a tractor so I can pull something else pto drive on the rear at the same time. 

The problem you will run into pushing one is radiator plugged immediately and that crap on the engine manifold burning.  If you really need to run a processer on front. I would  get a snowblower front drive train and try to run 2 clutches to shut front and back off. The snowblower front would be heavy duty or buy a European tractor with front everything. The bidi is the way to go but you need to clean and grease support bearing for front pto or she will flame up

1 hour ago, snoshoe said:

A gear the same size as that driven gear would give you a 1000 pto. Half that size would be approximately 540.

Whoops a gear half that size would double speed.

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

The problem you will run into pushing one is radiator plugged immediately and that crap on the engine manifold burning.  If you really need to run a processer on front. I would  get a snowblower front drive train and try to run 2 clutches to shut front and back off. The snowblower front would be heavy duty or buy a European tractor with front everything. The bidi is the way to go but you need to clean and grease support bearing for front pto or she will flame up

This here will be a serious problem and I hadn’t thought of it.  I should have but I haven’t used a processor personally.   

1 minute ago, Gearclash said:

This here will be a serious problem and I hadn’t thought of it.  I should have but I haven’t used a processor personally.   

I don’t know about the spout shredder but our hay buster you want behind you and blow with the wind