billonthefarm

This showed up for sale nearby....

and I just couldnt pass it up.  Might use it a little.  Sure looks good in the shed!

1F451671-9B6D-4B4B-A4C7-96281E6A195B.jpeg

• Like 7

Boy that one sure is nice. They are one of the first balers of the times that would work and weren’t that expensive. All those first closed throat balers were a nightmare.

• Like 1

They were made by New Idea. NI was a 456. Quite a few around of both at one time. The red ones looked better than the gray ones.

• Like 1

Sure looks clean. 👍🏼

Looks like it was taken care of and clean at that. Hope it does you good.

Dirt simple and they work. I'm starting to like mine.

What are you planning on doing with it? If I remember correctly you got out of cattle this past year. 

Maybe he got a LOT of leaves this year???:wacko:

Mike

Appears to be in extremely good shape.  How big of bales does it make, 4x5?

1 hour ago, IH Forever said:

Appears to be in extremely good shape.  How big of bales does it make, 4x5?

5x6 around 900 to 1100 lb dry grass 1300 lb alfalfa. Made lots of bales with those types of balers and newer 8480 baler. Around 40,000 soft core bales we made. I remember an ad for those balers when they were new in 1985 had a local statewide magazine and a guy bought one new baling behind his 806. He said 8o6 broke down so they baled with smta a few days. Our neighbors bought one almost new early on then about 1989 everybody had one or a new 8480. Those balers were 10,000 outright when clearing out inventory for the 8480 changeover.

On 10/23/2019 at 7:30 AM, Reichow7120 said:

What are you planning on doing with it? If I remember correctly you got out of cattle this past year. 

I still have a couple of fields of hay on a farm.  I had a neighbor bale it but it seems like he would rather not so I might bale it myself.  100 bales a year maybe.  Or I will just stare at it in the shed!  

• Like 2

At 100 bales per year I think you might find that to be sort of fun. Once you get over about 500 it becomes just a bunch of work. Lol

15 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

At 100 bales per year I think you might find that to be sort of fun. Once you get over about 500 it becomes just a bunch of work. Lol

Yea, might not be such a hassle. When I did all of those bales of hay, and straw and stalk bales.  Wow.  That was a bunch of work.

1 hour ago, billonthefarm said:

Yea, might not be such a hassle. When I did all of those bales of hay, and straw and stalk bales.  Wow.  That was a bunch of work.

That one is for a museum be careful with it.