Should full forward bog the engine on a 4130 skid steer?

777funk

I just put a 1 liter 3 cylinder diesel in my old 4130 and it works ok. It's not a fast machine, but as long as I don't max out the forward linkage to the pumps, it will tick along. 

Is it possible that I have the linkage too far forward causing the pump to sort of dead head with more flow than the motor can handle or over pressure in some way? 

The engine is new to me so I don't know the history. It doesn't smoke and sounds fine. 

The diesel is a 21hp (some of the Onans were also 21hp). The torque should be a bit higher than the Onans on my diesel. I can stall the engine. So barring a hydraulic issue at full tilt on the forward T handle, something must be wrong with the engine. I don't know a ton about hydrostatic drive, but I should be able to give it 100%, correct? Is there a 'too far' on the drive motor levers/linkage? 

Are U  running the engine WOT? 

How does the boom & bucket function when using? 

Hyd Oil level? 7 gallons

Hyd Filter changed ? #73320C1

Onan  25 HP

8 hours ago, 777funk said:

Is there a 'too far' on the drive motor levers/linkage? 

In a word no. There is a positive stop to swash plates inside pumps. No you can not move them to far. This does not mean you do not have chain or bearing problems. For sure you do not have to much power.

The only hydraulic problem I can think of is if loader is going over relief.

Today it seemed to run a little better. 

However! When I start the engine, the hydrostatic control chatters back and forth with force while the engine cranking until it starts. After this it smooths out. 

I have 7 gallons of fluid or at least did. I need to check again after its operated a bit. 

Would a plugged filter affect engine stalling when full forward? It is wide open throttle by the way. 

6 hours ago, 777funk said:

Today it seemed to run a little better. 

However! When I start the engine, the hydrostatic control chatters back and forth with force while the engine cranking until it starts. After this it smooths out. 

I have 7 gallons of fluid or at least did. I need to check again after its operated a bit. 

Would a plugged filter affect engine stalling when full forward? It is wide open throttle by the way. 

Would think filter would have a bypass, plugged bypass would open.

19 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

As I tried to say earlier, the few I've seen seemed extremely gutless to me. I don't think there is anything wrong with your loader, just not enough power.

"The Hydrostatic control chatters back and forth with force while the engine is cranking until it starts!"

Any "used" 4130's  I have seen,    all seem to have an awkward starting motion.  When the machine is at operating temps,  will it still bog down with warm oil?

We Had a  Case 1845C with problems in forward motion,  We put the unit on Blocks,   all 4 wheels in the air,  we put the skid through the forward & back motions, listening and watching and found the problem,  ( ours was a worn Chain and sprocket)

When your lift arms are in the Air,  Use the "Safety locks" on the cylinders,   "WE" don't want a farm accident .

My 2 cents,  Jim Droscha

Chattering during cranking is caused by swash plates not being in true nuetral along with not enough charge pressure to hold pistons against plates.

Lack of oil through a plugged filter usually results in the engine running free. In this case lack of charge pressure can result in chattering when working and a destroyed pump.

Ill bet you're right and the chatter is either the hydrostatic pumps/motors are leaking down or the big filter is plugged. I just bought new filters and going to see what happens. It is in neutral when cranking (until the chattering starts then it's all over the place). 

• 1 year later...

777 has not been on the forum for almost 2 years. Too bad they don't post back the results.

DWF