Long Farms

IH 496 Disk. 19'1"

10 hours ago, Long Farms said:

8Busy day. Cut out worn section and Double walled the transport axle pivot section. Bought the updated wider axle clamps. Fixed one wing hinge. 

20200104_150103.jpg

20200104_152323.jpg

20200104_140014.jpg

20200104_151517.jpg

20200104_121904.jpg

20200104_103627.jpg

Awesome start, look good.  Man I wish I could weld that nice !

Thats what we run is a 19ft 496. We installed furrow fillers so its closer to 21 ft now. Ours has the 9" spacing and 22" blades. Not a finishing disc by any means, but we were able to get away from using our soil saver. It sinks damn near as deep and leaves more trash on the surface to help fight erosion.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 7:44 PM, Long Farms said:

Transport axle has major wear due to jackassery and piss poor maintenance. The original axle supports are gone and a bent strap was used and wore into axle bad. Blades and bearing all seem good for now. It needs all new hoses. One wing hinge is broke and wing wheel and hub missing. Once i get hoses replaced i bet i find leaking nd blown hyd cyls too.  

I would plan on repacking the cylinders. It's a master/slave set up so if one leaks the disk will not run level at all.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tmarch said:

Thats what we run is a 19ft 496. We installed furrow fillers so its closer to 21 ft now. Ours has the 9" spacing and 22" blades. Not a finishing disc by any means, but we were able to get away from using our soil saver. It sinks damn near as deep and leaves more trash on the surface to help fight erosion.

Hmmmm. I do like the idea of furrow fillers - where did you end up finding them ?  Scrap yard I’m guessing?   Do you only put them on the back gang or you need them on front too so it throws the dirt more even so back can level it nice?

11 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Hmmmm. I do like the idea of furrow fillers - where did you end up finding them ?  Scrap yard I’m guessing?   Do you only put them on the back gang or you need them on front too so it throws the dirt more even so back can level it nice?

We got them through the case ih dealer.. Cant remember the cost, less than 500 im thinking. I couldnt find any aftermarket or used ones. The directions reccomend using a 4" smaller blade on them. We went only 2". Probably change it out come spring. Its for the rear only. I put a 2" smaller blade on the outside of the front gangs and they still throw a pile of dirt! Ive been thinking about tapering the the outside 2 blades to 18", 20" and leave the rest at 22". The furrow fillers certainly help though!

OK.....ay.  I thought every disk had the last few blades tapered??.....guess maybe just everybody around me.  W/o actually measuring I'd guess that the 2" & 4" smaller on the last 2 blades front and rear gangs was pretty standard setup for nearly every disk I can remember.

Built up leveling screw pin holes and tacked in bushing for lift cylinders. Previous owner ran it with no bushing just straight pin. The slop must have been hellacious running this thing. Should start going back together tomorrow. The main lift cylinders will probably both have to be replaced. Both yokes are worn bad. One side is even welded to cylinder shaft making it unserviceable. 

20200107_184936.jpg

20200107_184945.jpg

• Like 1

As for the cylinder you should still be able to disassemble and replace everything from the piston end even though the yoke is welded on. 

Have rebuilt a few 496’s and they’ve always been a challenge but good disks in the rite soil types. In my heavy clay they were hit and miss.  Best I found was the kongskill vertical till  serated disks, enough weight to put it in the ground yet enough tires to keep it out  

Ymmv, John 

How is the pivot point for the lift arms for the wings? We had one that was worn so bad the lift arms would hook each other when lowering the wings.