Joninva

5088 year model, missing s/n plate

Is there a way to determine the year on a 5088 that is missing the serial number plate? Cab s/n is 30856, can that be used to find the year? Thanks

Next to impossible.  The cab number never meant anything.  I dont think they tracked that either.  Ken may know.

There is a few parts that have actual dates stamped on them or "painted" on.  BUT those dates are when that part was made.  That would give you an idea of what year your tractor is but probably will never know the actual serial number.

You might be able to determine the year by the cab serial number.  I don't know of any database that matches cab and chassis numbers.  The original line set sheet might have this information.

It seems to me that a lot of the 50 series are missing tags.  Are they abused, stolen or ?? to have this issue?

In my area there are several 50 series IHs with no serial # plate anymore. 

The common denominator....loader mounts. 

My old boss sold many 50 series with Farmhand loaders. The RH loader mount would be right in the area of the serial # plate. Either the plate got knocked off when installing the mount, or the mount would go over the plate, eventually knocking the plate off due to the vibration/twisting/torquing of the loader during use. 
Our old parts manager used to keep a list of those tractors at the counter for future reference for parts/serial # issues. If the customer bought the tractor from us we could go back through our paperwork/records for serial # information. If the tractor came from somewhere else, that could be a problem. I can remember back in the 1990s we had a customer that wanted to buy a 50 series we had traded in on the lot that had no serial # plate. His bank refused to loan him the money for the tractor until it could be determined with absolute certainty what the serial # was. In their eyes, anybody could walk in with a 50 series serial # plate claiming the tractor as theirs, and legally there was little you could do to prove otherwise. He ended up having to get the loan from a different place because of all of this. 

I guess this is just one of the reasons why newer CNH stuff has the serial # stenciled into the frame somewhere, in addition to the serial # plate itself. 

does it have a tilt steering wheel or straight shaft? - i am not sure if those were options that u had to order but mine is an early 5088 and it does not have a tilt wheel 

Don’t they have casting codes like all other ihc tractors. Should get to close to when tractor was made or if original engine take serial no it should get you month and year made

It has tilt wheel and the newer style remote couplers. I mostly wanted to see if it is new enough to have the updates in the transmission

NONE came from the factory with updates.  

Im probably wrong but i was thinking from a discusion here the updates were a dealer installed thing and they put a mark somewhere, probably on serial tag, to denote the updates had been done? So it might not be a date thing so much as wether a previous owner had it done? 

Local dealer had a 560 diesel stolen when they were the current model. 4 years later when they found it the serial number was gone so they called the dealer who had it stolen and got the engine serial number. All the ihc tractors had a engine serial number unless it was changed out

12 hours ago, Joninva said:

It has tilt wheel and the newer style remote couplers. I mostly wanted to see if it is new enough to have the updates in the transmission

None came with updates

Check the main transmission housing and you will find a small time clock that's casted in the housing , this will tell you day, month, year the housing was built . One other quick thing you can check is the date code on the tire rims if they haven't been changed out . I was around these from the first ones to the last ones built but a guy don't always remember all the details anymore 😳 Between all of us we should beable to help you figure it out .

Danny