TeachersPet1066

18.4-16.1 on 1460

Was given a pair of 18.4-16.1 for the 1460.  They came off a 1460.  Thought they would clear but are rubbing.

Does the axle need adjusted per book or is there something I am missing?  Or does wheel need tilted in slightly like book mentions for toe in?

Thank you.

199E339B-A142-43A1-B377-3AB09C162F2C.png

AB469146-4570-463A-B471-37CF92553CA3.jpeg

4C4230B7-2CF2-4878-82FB-49C73F81ABEC.jpeg

Pictured graphic for a 1440,

are 1460 & 1440 same?

Or did I miss read or identify....

Looks like the knuckles and tie rod ends are rubbing? No amount of adjusting at the center pivot is going to change that. That's a function of wheel offset. You've got the wrong rims or the combine they came off had different hubs, or maybe spacers?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Looks like the knuckles and tie rod ends are rubbing? No amount of adjusting at the center pivot is going to change that. That's a function of wheel offset. You've got the wrong rims or the combine they came off had different hubs, or maybe spacers?

Agreed.

Probably came off a Mud Hog rear end. 

There were two different rims used depending on which hub was used. 

9C47612A-1BE0-4735-B89C-A4DA62758971.png

I have 18.4 x 16.1 tires on my 1460.  I don't have any pictures,  but I'm sure the rim is offset a lot more than those appear to be.

I’m going to guess they came off a 1460 with the later hub or they came off the heavy rear axle.     We have them on our 1480 with the heavy rear axle.   

I don't know if this will help or not,  but I was at the shop and had a camera so I took these pictures to attempt to show the wheel offset.

This is a 1460

IMG_5102 (600 x 450).jpg

IMG_5098 (600 x 450).jpg

IMG_5100 (600 x 450).jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

I don't know if this will help or not,  but I was at the shop and had a camera so I took these pictures to attempt to show the wheel offset.

This is a 1460

IMG_5102 (600 x 450).jpg

IMG_5098 (600 x 450).jpg

IMG_5100 (600 x 450).jpg

You have different hubs than he does as well.

Can you change the position of the steering arm on the spindle to make it work? Thx-Ace

1 hour ago, ZachGrant said:

You have different hubs than he does as well.

You are correct,  I went back and looked at his pictures and I see the hubs are entirely different.

38 minutes ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

You are correct,  I went back and looked at his pictures and I see the hubs are entirely different.

Those are the later style hub.   I’m sure that is where the offset differs

Spoke to the original owner of the wheels - his 1460 was not 4wd.

Thanks for the pictures.  the 1460 who I got wheels from must have had different hubs maybe 1259528C1.  Fab shop is cutting out a set of spacers to see out of curiosity.  Will keep a lookout for hubs over the winter but it would be a project.

Original tires are sitting here and can put back on.

Thanks again for the replies.  Of all projects, this 1460 has been one of the most trying.

Any chance you can just buy the whole rear axle from the guy?  If he's parting it out or junking it, would be a solution!   Then you would have the right offset!

No he had the 1460 years ago.  These were on it and put other tires on before trading in.

At least now I know what I am looking for and saw a whole axle on the Internet that’s not too far away.