Sign in to follow this  
TP from Central PA

Stupid question about mufflers, and the aging process

My sister's 6 month old girl didn't take to well to us grinding feed with a straight piped DT-407 screaming outside their house at the barn, so I got a cheapy muffler for myself with the last A&I parts order I put in for a few locals.  I got to looking at it after I took it out of the box and noticed it was straight through for the most part other than a reduction hole in the center.  Now granted I haven't looked at a stock muffler off the bigger IH tractors in years, but I don't recall them being that way?  Not that it matters because this is fine for its purpose, I just want to know if I need to up the number of Centrum Silvers I need to consume because of failing memory?????

7 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

My muffler on my 1850 Oliver is straight thru.

I am talking about factory IH mufflers on the turbo'ed 56/66 series.  I don't remember them as this one is built, but I might have advanced CRS?????

My 1456 muffler is strate through but that's the new ih lookalike

my ih muffler on my 706 is straight thru and its an IH but its non turbo - the oval black ones like on a 1066 were no straight thru

• Like 1

Dads M muffler is straight through, has little pieces flared out inside , it's supposed to be a restoration quality replica. 

Pretty sure the original Factory 806 muffler had an internal baffle plate.  Aftermarket Stanley that replaced it did not, it was a flow through design.  The replacement I got from the dealer (probably made by Nelson) had an internal baffle plate. 

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:19 PM, TP from Central PA said:

My sister's 6 month old girl didn't take to well to us grinding feed with a straight piped DT-407 screaming outside their house at the barn, so I got a cheapy muffler for myself with the last A&I parts order I put in for a few locals.  I got to looking at it after I took it out of the box and noticed it was straight through for the most part other than a reduction hole in the center.  Now granted I haven't looked at a stock muffler off the bigger IH tractors in years, but I don't recall them being that way?  Not that it matters because this is fine for its purpose, I just want to know if I need to up the number of Centrum Silvers I need to consume because of failing memory?????

I had some really good advice but I can't remember what it was

• Like 1

1 minute ago, exSW said:

I had some really good advice but I can't remember what it was

It's good to know I am not alone on this issue..........I thought someone would come out of the woodwork with 20 pictures of a factory muffler off a 1066 and tell me I was an idiot, but I see we got everything but...........wasn't expecting that.  

• Haha 1

I don't remember looking at mufflers years ago. I might have replaced some but never gave it a thought to inspect the inside

Not the original but not long after I bought my 966 in about 1985 I bought a replacement muffler and a straight pipe. Both from the local dealer. I went with the straight pipe and the muffler is sitting in the barn. Would there be stamping on it to identify mfg? I can look at it in the morning when I feed calves if that would be of interest to you. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Not the original but not long after I bought my 966 in about 1985 I bought a replacement muffler and a straight pipe. Both from the local dealer. I went with the straight pipe and the muffler is sitting in the barn. Would there be stamping on it to identify mfg? I can look at it in the morning when I feed calves if that would be of interest to you. 

No, I remember the 7/966 versions without turbo's as they were the most common around here, I want to know what the mufflers look like inside on the 10/14/1566's or the IH mufflers sold for the 12/1456's.  I think they were baffled internally like the little ones and not straight through like this new one, but can't remember for sure.

Yes they are baffled. Two plugs in towards the center. Still available from CNH but spendy. Around 300.00 or so. After market one have a hole through the center like you saw. Only place I could find one like the original was from my local dealer.

534546R6 - the original IH part # was indeed a baffled muffler - I am seeing many of the replacements on here range from 15 to 21lbs...........I can assure you the IH muffler on my 706 weighs more than that. I had it off last year due to an octopus tree at the end of the field that grabbed it when i wasnt looking - I removed/cut/welded it back straight- It  might just be full of 50 yrs of soot 

The 1468 had baffled mufflers.

They had a soft plug in them to push the exhaust around and thru the muffler.

Had a guy with one lose one bank of cylinders on his 1468.

We took the muffler off and it ran find.

Put the muffler on upside down and brought it up to high idle.

You could hear the pressure building until it shot that soft plug into low earth orbit.

We put that muffler back on and drove the soft plug out of the other to make sure this didn't happen again. Made no difference in sound.

So, the 1468's were baffled but they had a round muffler.

I also made a stainless muffler for my H.

I just drilled holes in the center pipe and it works fine and is surprisingly quiet.

They do work with the open design.