Tj01

1952 Allis Chalmers Ca

Well I’m new to the forum and all and I know most tractors on here are red but I figured I would let y’all look at what I’ve got. I bought this tractor in July and the man told me that it had been went through just needed a paint job so I ended up have to rebuild the carburetor and clean out the gas tank about 4 times. Had to take the generator to a local shop in town and have it gone through too. Now it was time to put the paint job on it so me and my uncle started stripping all the old paint off and putting primer back on. Hopefully soon we will be able to start spraying some orange on it. 

59A38109-A711-48F0-8898-1F5C3F6BB717.jpeg

C3F25C2C-DF34-43F5-8167-40580F1A1EAE.jpeg

144FB822-120C-44E5-856E-BA6CDDA70B3A.jpeg

964504E1-F3C8-4D4D-8A4D-0FC49BCD28BB.jpeg

A2BC31D8-3A61-468B-A256-90655122F728.jpeg

31791D4C-2233-46B6-9461-316822AFACD8.jpeg

FC7CB8C5-768E-49DB-B160-1611AF455AD5.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks like good progress.   I must confess that I have an Allis Chalmers C that I inherited from my great Uncle.

• Like 1

Wheel and frame side weights and a Nelson muffler, those are very desirable things on a CA!

• Like 1

Tj01,

Welcome!

Tires match, tin looks straight. it looks like a keeper. Take your time on the clean and paint. Its a lot of work. I too have some Allis-Chalmers lurking in my yard and garage. I dont have a CA. YET!:) Good luck with your tractor. I will invite you to come over and visit us on the Unofficial Allis Forum also. Good bunch of Orange brains there too!

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for the invite Chris, will have to head over and check them out!

Well here’s the update. Monday we sprayed the first coat of orange on the parts that where ready and finally seen that all the hard work had paid off. 

D6D4A04D-4391-4F75-B5FE-2FFF01106B03.jpeg

F814510D-11DB-464B-BBF2-BA14EDD3C235.jpeg

6C3B5DA5-C26D-483A-9C11-3D23882B0796.jpeg

1CABEF62-7B9F-42A8-A5F9-BF158512BAAE.jpeg

• Like 3

I know these ain’t the best pictures but today we finished all but little touch up and putting the new front tires on

51B65D60-CAFC-48CD-A07A-138CCD4F3CA6.jpeg

A9D025EF-48DA-48A0-9C43-0B2185E7B617.jpeg

FF654D40-FB45-483D-94F4-9AC267428799.jpeg

A53C736B-6BBA-4632-9317-C623DC703425.jpeg

• Like 5

Growing up we had a c with a belly mower on it i used to mow with. Later on i ground the valves and painted it. Im sure i didnt do as nice a job as you did tho.

• Like 1

It has a distributor ignition , just notice that ? Is it a delco? 

• Like 1

Dennis

yes it is a delco distributor 

Looks very nice, For what little you did too it! 

• Like 1

It's been a while since I have posted anything. Yesterday I started taking everything off that I needed to so I can take the intake manifold off. I had to take the gas tank off because we are going to use a torch to heat up the nuts on the studs on the manifold. The reason I'm taking it off is because the gasket has blowed out, but I went ahead and bought a new intake instead of using the one I got. I went ahead and got a new muffler too because mine is broke at the top seam and leaks exhaust out. Sorry for so much and such a long period of posting and sorry if the pic ain't the greatest.

IMG-2891.jpg

• Like 2

Good call on the new manifold. Don't know what it is about that series of motors but seems like a high percentage of them have rotten manifolds on them. I've had 2, the CA i have now and an IB that is the only tractor I've ever sold. Both manifolds were shot. Here's a pic from the day I changed mine. Also one of the old one, the 'ear' where the generator mounts was broken off and the muffler mounts also.

fullsizeoutput_4f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4b.jpeg

• Like 1

My first tractor of my own was a CA with a 5ft bush hog on a make-shifted 3pt.

I loved that hand clutch for when I had more weeds than motor.

Then I moved up to a WD, then to a WD45 then a D-17.

Hated the 17 so sold and bought another 45. 

All is good now.

Do you belong to the "Unofficial Allis" forum?

• Like 1

Dtfan 

That’s interesting about you having the same problem. Thank you for the pics I will post some when I get farther but the weather here is terrible right now. 

Mto

That’s cool. My hand clutch doesn’t work so one day that will be the project. Tearing it apart to see what is wrong. No I haven’t joined the Unofficial Allis forum yet but I’m planning to in the near future. 

21 hours ago, MTO said:

Then I moved up to a WD, then to a WD45 then a D-17.

Hated the 17 so sold and bought another 45.

What did you hate about the D17? Just curious. A D series Allis is on my list of tractors I want to have when I’m older.

1 hour ago, BrodyNC said:

What did you hate about the D17? Just curious. A D series Allis is on my list of tractors I want to have when I’m older.

Don't like the ergonomics of the D's.

Prefer the "layout" of the WDs MUCH better.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2020 at 12:06 PM, DT Fan said:

Good call on the new manifold. Don't know what it is about that series of motors but seems like a high percentage of them have rotten manifolds on them. I've had 2, the CA i have now and an IB that is the only tractor I've ever sold. Both manifolds were shot. Here's a pic from the day I changed mine. Also one of the old one, the 'ear' where the generator mounts was broken off and the muffler mounts also.

fullsizeoutput_4f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4b.jpeg

Also same zenith carburetor as the Farmall C , have remember that . Also like the pipe plug in intake fro vacuum gage tuning carburetor .👍🏻
What’s suppose to go where the two broken bolts or studs are on exhaust manifold? 
I think you can get them out with som heat and easy out. 
keep going looking great ! 

That's what holds the muffler on! That is why that manifold went away. I'm batting about .250 (maybe) on getting broken bolts out of cast iron.

• Like 1

Well today the sun finally came out so I was able to pull the manifold off it actually came off with ease, didn’t even have to use a torch. Now it is time to clean it up real nice and make it look right and put new manifold on. Still waiting on my new muffler no telling how long that will take. 

6EBE6EBE-ED8D-4B9C-9FF9-26AD3DC265C0.jpeg

• Like 2

Tj

Looking good on the manifold change. Get the new gaskets too. And check for flatness on the head. They can sometimes get eroded on the head, which will affect the seal of manifold to head. 

Also if the studs have necking or corrosion it might be a good time to change those too? Just be very careful if you back those out they can break off.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

Well today I was able to clean all of the grease and oil off and make everything slick. I had to reuse my old muffler because the new one that I have order have not made it yet but I got the new gasket, new manifold and the muffler on. Tomorrow my plan is to put the rest of the tractor back together and fire it up. I was lucky none of my studs broke because no parts store or hardware store in the local area sold double sided 5/8 coarse thread studs

0DDA0024-E285-4BD8-A8D7-3418CA130754.jpeg

On 10/17/2019 at 9:07 AM, Tj01 said:

Well I’m new to the forum and all and I know most tractors on here are red but I figured I would let y’all look at what I’ve got. I bought this tractor in July and the man told me that it had been went through just needed a paint job so I ended up have to rebuild the carburetor and clean out the gas tank about 4 times. Had to take the generator to a local shop in town and have it gone through too. Now it was time to put the paint job on it so me and my uncle started stripping all the old paint off and putting primer back on. Hopefully soon we will be able to start spraying some orange on it. 

59A38109-A711-48F0-8898-1F5C3F6BB717.jpeg

C3F25C2C-DF34-43F5-8167-40580F1A1EAE.jpeg

144FB822-120C-44E5-856E-BA6CDDA70B3A.jpeg

964504E1-F3C8-4D4D-8A4D-0FC49BCD28BB.jpeg

A2BC31D8-3A61-468B-A256-90655122F728.jpeg

31791D4C-2233-46B6-9461-316822AFACD8.jpeg

FC7CB8C5-768E-49DB-B160-1611AF455AD5.jpeg

AC's equivalent of the Farmall Super C. Very collectable tractor. The right size tractor to put in a trailer behind a car to be taken to tractor shows! Regards from Australia.😎

• Like 1

Tj, that looks pretty darn good. If that muffler says 'NELSON' on it, do not throw it away.

• Thanks 1