Also get some chaps and a helmet with ear muffs 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

thats a lot of hours on your saw every day for 6 yrs wow - i dont think mine has lost any power but i can tell a diff when i use 91 in it non alcohol and good premix. I also did a muffler mod on it, that woke it up some too. I put my 16in bar/chain on it when working on brush trimming, i also have a stihl pole saw with that newer premix engine on it, its a wierd sounding thing but works ok - i hv heard the 361 is a good saw too. 

Well every workday. So 40 hour weeks. Some days we don't go through more than a tank of gas, some days its 6 or more fills. All depends where and what we are cutting. Winter time is when we run them hard. Probably 7 hours a day, 5 days a week for 3 or 4 months. But yes our saws get a pile of hours put on them. I used to run 16" bar on my saws, but now I got a 18" on my 261. Perfect combination imo. At home I have a MS271, which I really like. I got a 20" bar on it since we are cutting mostly 30"+ trees but still limbing and bucking smaller stuff. The 20" is a little bit big for that saw. Might have to go to a 18" on it. We got ms362's at work too. One is the same year as my 261, and it's starting to act up the same as the 261. Both have been pretty much run the same amount of hours and in similar situation. So yes they are also a very good saw

I have worked for a utility tree service for 40 years, the last 18 as a mechanic. I don’t work on saws. I would not buy a new computer controlled emissions saw. I have enough older ones to last the rest of my life. I did buy a battery electric Stihl in January. I did consider the major tool suppliers offerings (Milwaukee, Dewalt, and Makita) but I remembered that Stihl has been making saws for almost 100 years. I got the biggest one they had with a 14” bar. For big wood and all day use it will never replace a gas saw, but I can easily fall a 20 inch tree and do a couple of hours of pruning. 

I've got a 9 year old echo. MS 390 that has had nothing done to it beyond chain and bars (they don't like catching wire) and it's seen some hard use... 

Starts easy and light but durable.

17 hours ago, Amo said:

Oh, just mostly maintenance work.  Don't burn much wood anymore.  Can buy a Stihl ms250 (40cc & 16" bar I think) locally for $300.  eBay has an echo CS 490 (50cc and 20"bar ) for $275. Both are standard start.

I bought that exact Stihl saw about 3 years ago. Paid that same price, 16 inch bar, two new chains, and 6-pack of synthetic engine oil. They had the saw, chain sharpener and bunch of other stuff in a package deal for well over $400.  I was replacing my 20 yr old #025 Stihl saw,  I actually like the old saw better, bought a new carb on-line I need to install. Was using it 2-3 years ago and it suddenly got hard to keep running, like it was running lean.  Until then the #025 had been a great saw.  I bought the MS250 in the fall, used it half a tank of fuel. Next spring I needed it, drained the old fuel, put in fresh fuel and pulled and pulled the rope and didn't get a single pop. Threw it in the car and drove the 20 miles to the dealer and they pulled it a couple dozen times and it popped a time or two and finally cleared out and ran.  It still seems to got from not enough fuel to fire to instantly flooded. The #025 would always pop a couple times.

But, the MS250 and #025 are almost identical, same bars, chains, tune-up parts.  I looked at an Echo saw, bought a new Echo string trimmer 3 yrs ago too, but wanted common parts on the two saws. 

17 hours ago, db1486 said:

We got a easy2start stihl 250 at work. Is stays in the shed. Good when it was new, for maybe a couple months.

I've never understood this mentality. Get a BRAND NEW, EXPENSIVE piece of equipment, have a minor problem with it early on, and just park it, throw it away...

Wouldn't you want to fix it? It's still under warranty.

Of course these are the ones that show up at municipal auctions, where I buy them for $10, fix them for free, and sell them for $150... So keep up the good work, I guess.

Jonsered is no longer in production. After the Tractor Supply deal failed and they went back to Huskys, that was pretty much it for the brand.

They're now called Redmax. Same saws as the Huskys, just red and black instead of orange, and a much more limited selection.

I have mostly Husqvarnas though I do have an old Stihl. Lots of people been buying stihls (people i know). They both seem solid. I rebuild my saws when they wear out and my 570 husqvarna is my top dog right now. If I ever buy another it would have been a stihl if for no other reason than made in the USA. But now that so many are made in China I guess they're all about the same to a degree.

I have a Husqvarna 450 (18" bar) that I've had for about 8 years now. I typically get 12-18 full cords (102" lengths) of hardwood logs each year and this saw cuts the entire pile. I've replaced the usual wear items as would be expected and have been happy with this saw in terms of weight and power. 

The only issue I have is it likes to mark its territory if I put it away with more than a half tank of bar oil. My landscaper friend says that all the Husky tools they have do the same thing.

Jesse

4 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I've never understood this mentality. Get a BRAND NEW, EXPENSIVE piece of equipment, have a minor problem with it early on, and just park it, throw it away...

Wouldn't you want to fix it? It's still under warranty.

Of course these are the ones that show up at municipal auctions, where I buy them for $10, fix them for free, and sell them for $150... So keep up the good work, I guess.

One word. Government! They ask for our opinion what to buy, then say it's too expensive. It's not that the saw is not fixable and useable, just that's it's not built for what we are doing, and the easy 2 start thing is a joke. Could switch it over I guess. It is a backup saw, but I still wont use it. They buy too many home owner saws here and expect them to work and last like a pro saw. I'm sorry but it don't work like that. Save a penny to spend a dollar

Oh and warranty isn't much on commercial use. Not like if I buy a saw for myself

2 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

True, but even regular folks do it. You see it on forums. You see it in reviews. Brand new thing you just spent hundreds of dollars on breaks, and you just throw it away...

Very true. I know we dont do that on the farm. Hardly ever buy anything new, so when the time comes I'm gonna make sure its gonna last a long time and if it breaks, it gets fixed

I have used saws my entire life and quite a extensively up until about 2 years ago when Mom stopped heating with wood. 

Stihl saws are great.  Lots of dealers, their bar and mix oil can't be beat, and they just flat do what they are supposed too.   I like the easy start saws, but you do pull them easier than a regular pull start.   The way it works is the easy pull, you are pulling a spring tight that then goes and flings the motor over, instead of spinning the motor.  They are great for people with sore joints or other shoulder issues. 

I seen where someone said Stihl their pole saw sounded funny.  It's because its a 4 stroke.  I have the extendable Stihl pole saw, and love it.  So handy, but if you use it much you'll find muscles in your forearms you didn't realize you had! :)

I don't think you can go wrong with a stihl, echo, or a husky.  All are good saws.   I'm more of s Stihl guy myself and have Stihl blower, and weedeater, but also have a Echo blower, and bought a little trim echo saw a while back.    Saws are so easy to work on and simple it's hard for me to understand why anyone would take it and pay for it to be fixed. 

16 hours ago, B.B. said:

I seen where someone said Stihl their pole saw sounded funny.  It's because its a 4 stroke.  I have the extendable Stihl pole saw, and love it.  So handy, but if you use it much you'll find muscles in your forearms you didn't realize you had! 

I rented an older 2-stroke Stihl pole saw about ten years ago over Labor Day weekend for the one day rental charge.  About an hour or two of running that thing was as long as I could run it.  Rented a new 4-stroke pole saw, a Stihl, about 2 months ago. It's not any lighter but I think the 4-stroke has more torque. We were cutting 4 to 6 inch Ash tree limbs.

I probably have enough trees to justify buying one but then I'd have to find some place to store the thing!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I rented an older 2-stroke Stihl pole saw about ten years ago over Labor Day weekend for the one day rental charge.  About an hour or two of running that thing was as long as I could run it.  Rented a new 4-stroke pole saw, a Stihl, about 2 months ago. It's not any lighter but I think the 4-stroke has more torque. We were cutting 4 to 6 inch Ash tree limbs.

I probably have enough trees to justify buying one but then I'd have to find some place to store the thing!

We bought one of those 4 strokes with the combination pole saw/weed eater heads on it. Loosen a couple of torx bolts, pull the weed eater head, add a coupler at the end of the 1st shaft and slide another shaft with the pole saw head on it. It definitely has some torque though i have to admit the 4 stroke sounds weird running compared to the 2 stroke chainsaws we have.